• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Chip and Chase

True Supporter
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Tipping Member
13 straight now. What I don't understand is what are the handicappers doing ? Isn't the idea of racing to handicap horses to even up the field ? Surely they should be throwing 80kg or something on it's back to bring it back to the pack. Genuine question, as I'm no racing expert.

Not every race is a handicap. Some are weight for age so that means that it is a set amount to carry depending on age and sex. I won't go into detail of most lower level races but it is possible under the rules to have an advantage as a horse works up through the grades.

All really big handicaps (usually called Group 1s) have their weights set months in advance - based on the form at the time and also considering whether they want to attract the horse's connections to compete. It is a delicate balancing act. Once those weights are set then there are preliminary races where a horse can earn a penalty, which is then added on, but the owners can always attempt to bypass some or all of these. The big handicaps also have weights assessed based on how previous horses of that age and sex have performed in it. The idea is that it is reasonably fair to all without killing the chance of getting a crowd drawcard horse to nominate. Hope that helps.

Clear as mud. I understand set weight at WFA, and you would expect that a class horse would always win under that regime.

So basically at some point they will handicap Black Caviar to a loss I assume, but it may take a while.

Most races she will compete in from now on will be WFA. The exception will be races like the Newmarket (which she has already won), Oakleigh Plate, or The Galaxy which are handicaps. Now she is rated the best horse in the world she could be handicapped so that she could lose, but the top horses often find something extra that no one can identify that sees them win (think of horses like Bernborough). She hasn't gone beyond 1200 and a lot of the big handicaps are 1600, with the Stradbroke @ 1400 being the most likely maybe next year. If she goes overseas those will almost certainly be WFA.

It will never run in an open handicap (unlimited top weight),but might squeeze into a max top weight race.All weight for age from here on in I'd think.Obviously didn't think it could run the 1350 at Doomben at WFA,so no handicaps.Interesting battle looming in England next year,if,as we all expect,the sheik takes Sepoy to England to race.I think he'd test caviar at 1000 to 1200.

How many Slipper winners have gone on with it in the last 20 years ayjay? Sepoy will be another one who falls by the wayside.

BC would break his heart.

2010-Crystal Lily,2007-Forensics,2006-Miss Finland,2004-Dance Hero,to name a few.The good ones go on with it,most of the others are good breeders.Even those who don't dazzle with gr 1 brilliance,usually pay for themselves over the years.Horses like BC are not up to the past sprinting champs.Campaign King did the 10000/Stradbroke double.Black Piranha's won 2 Stradbrokes.In Melbourne,all the REAL good sprinters used to run in the Lightning/Oakleigh/Newmarket treble.Some won the treble (Placid Ark comes to mind).BC looks like it could carry weight and still win a decent handicap,but,it will be kept in cotton wool,and race the "2nd stringers" for money.(and who can blame the owners).

Dance Hero, laughable. None of those you have named are even close to BC in Class. I'm not talking about in terms of paying for themselves. I'm talking about beating Black Caviar. None of them, nor Sepoy, would get close.

2nd stringers, Hay List would be the best sprinter this country has seen in years if BC wasnt around. She has consistently towelled him up.

Get back to me when she has won 29 like San Simeon did in the 70's.

Or for something more recent Courage Under Fires 24 in row during the lat 90's.

No doubt incredible efforts Bob but I hate comparing Standardbreds with thoroughbreds.

What do you think of Hay List in the Newmarket? Any other time and he would be today's champion, except for BC. I hate the Flemington 1200 as you never know which is the right side until they race but on paper he should win this one by 2 lengths.

Hay List, the Stuart McGill of horse racing

I do feel sorry for Hay List and more importantly his owners even though he has won almost $2m in prizemoney. He has had 22 starts for 15 wins and 5 seconds (4 to BC).

Take BC out of the equation and he has probably won closer to $3m.

I love the horse. Keeps coming up at generous odds and yet is easily the second best sprinter in the land. My 'investments' on him are so far in front it is a joke on the bookies. Even when going down to BC it has been daylight third.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4