Billy Moore: Broncos need local rival

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Jethro

Star Trekkin' across the universe
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
By the time Suncorp Stadium hosts the Pre-Season Charity Cup on Sunday evening, the rugby league shop in Brisbane will have been shut for 171 days.

Five months and 18 days exactly since top level rugby league was played in what is considered one of the game's great strongholds.

Read More

By the time Suncorp Stadium hosts the Pre-Season Charity Cup on Sunday evening, the rugby league shop in Brisbane will have been shut for 171 days.

Five months and 18 days exactly since top level r
billy_moore_3201.jpg
ugby league was played in what is considered one of the game's great strongholds.

And that's why Maroons legend Billy Moore is desperate to see south-east Queensland represented when the NRL next hands out new licenses in the years to come.

Moore is an ambassador for the Brisbane Bombers expansion bid that is staging the Charity Cup clash between the Storm and Bulldogs on Sunday evening and is adamant that the rugby league public in Brisbane is not being sufficiently serviced.

"I passionately believe that Brisbane, which is a rugby league heartland, needs another team," Moore told NRL.com.

"I'm in small business, I have a restaurant in Mooloolaba, and if you think of rugby league as a business, the rugby league shopfront in Brisbane – arguably the second largest rugby league city in the world – is only open 12 times a year for NRL games. It's shut, and if my shop is shut in Mooloolaba, people will go to another shop.

"Rugby league needs to have more exposure, it needs to saturate the south-east market more than what the Broncos – who have done an amazing job over the past two-and-a-half decades – and the Titans more recently are able to do."

Despite recording the worst win-loss season in the club's history, the Broncos average home ground attendance of 30,480 in 2013 was the highest in the NRL. While many will argue that a second team would dilute the supporter base, Moore points to the intense rivalry between Manchester United and Manchester City in the English Premier League at what can be achieved with a competitive marketplace.

"The Brisbane Broncos should welcome another team in Brisbane. It will help them promote themselves, it will create a city rivalry which always works and I use the Manchester model as an example," Moore explained.

"Manchester United, the last two seasons, has made more money since Manchester City has become a serious rival. The fact that Manchester City have risen to the same level – and perhaps even gone past United this season – has not hurt Manchester United at all. They're actually making more money because there's more interest in the game and there's more interest in the rivalry.

"There is more talk and groundswell around the sport in a city that is totally monopolised by soccer itself but it proves my theory that you should want to have good competition in your marketplace.

"What Brisbane needs is a team to come in and immediately say, 'This is a great rivalry' because that means the local derby sells out twice a year."

And if the Bombers were granted entry into the NRL for the 2018 season and beyond, who is at the top of Moore's wish-list?

"Daly Cherry-Evans. Without a doubt, he'd be my No.1 get," Moore said. "Mackay boy, I think he'd be a perfect fit; you could build a team around him."

Tickets for the Pre-Season Charity Cup are $30 for adults, $20 for children/concession and $90 for a family pass for two adults and two children. Click here for tickets.

By Tony Webeck, Chief Queensland Correspondent
NRL.com

http://www.nrl.com/billy-moore-broncos-need-local-rival/tabid/10874/newsid/76363/default.aspx

A local rival like The South Queensland Crushers perhaps?
Yeah, the Broncos were real keen on having another team in Brisbane to share the sponsorship dollar with...not.

"Daly Cherry-Evans. Without a doubt, he’d be my No.1 get, Moore said. Mackay boy, I think he’d be a perfect fit; you could build a team around him.”

Tenterfield Billy should go back to shouting Queenslander at pallets of beer and mind his own business.

Yeah right, better still kick the qld teams out and resurrect Brisbane club teams. Then we can get back to playing against real teams like newtown, Wests, norths etc. Top 4 from each state make the finals.

Better still, top 7 from Nsw, one spot for a qld team. They can't make the 8 anyway.

Better still slap the broncos out of the comp, only let pre1988 Brisbane clubs compete in a 2nd rate comp, sign their best players to manly, and make them compete for Nsw against qld under a residency rule, and dish out annual floggings.

The Broncos have been systematic in keeping teams out of Brisbane. First the crushers, then the East coast Tigers bid and a 5 year exclusivity contract after the super league. As many have pointed out they have also killed off the local competition. They have been a cancer in the brisbane market and will never welcome a new team.

But it needs to happen, however until the current teams can be reduced its doubtful new teams will be considered. Unless we get a 20 team comp where everyone plays each other once, alternating home grounds every second year, same draw year after year,and adding other events like the nines, an upgraded rep season and a few more cultural events similar to the all stars, a kiwi origin etc

But we would need a second brissie team,central qld, western oz team and a second kiwi team, relocate one sydney team to the central coast. 10 games a weekend, 4 week stand alone rep season with everything but the nines squeezed in, all stars, kiwi origin, origin, city country first and seconds like old days, png and a combined european side, under 23 side,

2 week nines tournament inviting 6 pommy sides, a french and the usa, png, and anyone else who dont rely on nrl teams , with womens league games as well

add the 6 team wcc format as suggested by hetherington

I love the NRL but it goes for too long, apart from a few places up for grabs its all decided by about june

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4