Biggest names to benefit from cap increase

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
SOME of the NRL's biggest names are set to reap the rewards of a possible $6 million salary cap when they come off contract next season.
With Luke Lewis and Brett Stewart the last of the big names still on the transfer market this year, clubs are already thinking ahead to 2013, when more than 180 players come off contract.

Read the full article

Depending on the new television deal, the salary cap would be increased to:
$5.1 million (under a $1 billion TV deal);
$5.9 million ($1.2 billion), or;
$6.6 million ($1.4 billion).

thinking it may be the lower figure

I dont see the cap above $5.1M.

I think the AFL has ruined any chance of more than a $1B tv deal.

Now with the cap increase in mind, Manly, please sign snake so we can remove him from that list of available players ;)

Eagles2nv said:
I dont see the cap above $5.1M.

I think the AFL has ruined any chance of more than a $1B tv deal.

Now with the cap increase in mind, Manly, please sign snake so we can remove him from that list of available players ;)

Shows you how important timing is. I'm all for the NRL signing a shorter deal to get their tv rights renogiated before the AFLs next time.

I think the time has also come to increase the clubs squads I think they need squads of 30 and increase the second tier cap as well so the Freddy fringefirstgraders gets more than 50k a year.

Cameron said:
I think the time has also come to increase the clubs squads I think they need squads of 30 and increase the second tier cap as well so the Freddy fringefirstgraders gets more than 50k a year.

I agree as well, all the talk at the moment is guys on $500,000 going to $600,000.
With a squad of 30, it could also mean that we could do away with those pre-season games and possibly have two complete rounds, although this would probably ruin any expansion plans.

I would imagine (not that I know from the horses mouth) that Perry and co would be tieing any increase into negotiations for players such as Brett / MB and co. That's VERY smart business sense....go to the player, offer them a figure AND say "if the Cap increased by 15% so does this offer"

BUT you don't have to be blind Freddy to see that other clubs are splashing the cash around like confetti, and it would be very interesting to see how some would fare if the One Billion (or better) deal isn't signed.

One thing I can assure you of, Dave Perry is shrewd.....think money and he knows what he's doing!!

Mark from Brisbane said:
I would imagine (not that I know from the horses mouth) that Perry and co would be tieing any increase into negotiations for players such as Brett / MB and co. That's VERY smart business sense....go to the player, offer them a figure AND say "if the Cap increased by 15% so does this offer"

BUT you don't have to be blind Freddy to see that other clubs are splashing the cash around like confetti, and it would be very interesting to see how some would fare if the One Billion (or better) deal isn't signed.

One thing I can assure you of, Dave Perry is shrewd.....think money and he knows what he's doing!!

Plenty of different ways to negotiate contracts but I do know that, that type of of clause has been wanted by the player managers more so than the clubs at this stage.

Players would be stupid not to have a % increase clause with the cap increase looming.

I would prefer a good chunk of the proposed 1 billion to be allocated to Junior League the majority of Junior league areas are struggling for cash and more needs to be invested in this.

And don't forget the Country as well....I am an old country boy and most country areas are really suffering...and do not forget some of the great players have come from country NSW and country QLD

If the celery cap for 2013 is going to be as vague as the following then you have your answer as to what dodgy recruitment dealings the dogs management are up to.

" The biggest problem now would be if someone takes a gamble on how much the salary cap will be and it doesn't go up by the amount they are hoping. NRL clubs have been told to anticipate the 2013 salary cap will be at least $5 million but not to spend much more than that "

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6