Bigger Bench?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

eagle66

Bencher
Premium Member
Is it time for the 17 man squad on game day be increased to 20?
Still only allowed to use four players but as the game unfolds a coach can modify their game plan/requirements as players are injured and out for the match. No one has a winger on the bench at kick off but there have been enough times one is injured. Usually the team suffers when a winger or fullback are injured.

Is it time for the 17 man squad on game day be increased to 20?
Still only allowed to use four players but as the game unfolds a coach can modify their game plan/requirements as players are injured and out for the match. No one has a winger on the bench at kick off but there have been enough times one is injured. Usually the team suffers when a winger or fullback are injured.

No need to increase it to 20. Leave it at 17 with an extra player on the bench that can only be used if a player is ruled out during the game by an independent NRL doctor.

No need to increase it to 20. Leave it at 17 with an extra player on the bench that can only be used if a player is ruled out during the game by an independent NRL doctor.
I’d like to see the 18th man being able to be used if a player goes off with a HIA and can’t return, most head knocks are accidental but with the regulations the player has no choice if the Dr rules he can’t return.

I’d like to see the 18th man being able to be used if a player goes off with a HIA and can’t return, most head knocks are accidental but with the regulations the player has no choice if the Dr rules he can’t return.
Back this idea with the added caveat of foul play. If a player is ruled out for any reason due to foul play the 18th man should be allowed as a free replacement.

I think now with HIAs ruling players out for the game there needs to be an 18th and 19th man that are only allowed to enter the 17 if the independent doctor fails a player during a HIA

I think now with HIAs ruling players out for the game there needs to be an 18th and 19th man that are only allowed to enter the 17 if the independent doctor fails a player during a HIA

Boy oh boy, Parra will have a lot of failed hia's for props when their time in the game is up!

Seeing as they're the kings of the 20min hia call for props most games (until the media point it out and the dalai arfur wails about the inhumanity while signing over an apartment for one of his players at below market rates). *

*they cheat the system

I’d like to see the 18th man being able to be used if a player goes off with a HIA and can’t return, most head knocks are accidental
But nearly all injuries are accidental, not just head knocks. So not really sure why head injuries should be treated differently, it's still a physical injury (to the brain).

I suppose if we get more and more games where teams finish with less than 13 on the field that could warrant some change, but that hasn't really been happening has it?

If I were, say, the new coach of a team like, yeah, nah, the Bulldogs, where could I buy a bench big enough for all these players to sit on? Asking for a friend.

But nearly all injuries are accidental, not just head knocks. So not really sure why head injuries should be treated differently, it's still a physical injury (to the brain).

I suppose if we get more and more games where teams finish with less than 13 on the field that could warrant some change, but that hasn't really been happening has it?
The difference being , if it’s a hamstring the clubs staff ( and player himself ) pull him off, a HIA I believe is decided by an independent Dr !!

It's a no from me.
So the great utility players like Des, Beaver, Fittler, Aubusson etc who are worth the weight in gold just fall by the wayside?
Des and Beaver probably have more rep jerseys numbered 14-17 than they do 1-13 but they were pretty much first picked every time.
Footy's footy, leave it as it is, teamwork under adversity is what it's all about.

I would love to see reserves able to replace injured players during the match. One way swaps though.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4