Big Willie

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Just to add-I would personally like to-even as far as trying to get a petition together to sign him up for next year- a good $$$ value player-fires the boys up-is a good personalty off the field-and he can still play great-who can I contact to put a rocket under them to make sure he stays for another year?LET'S GIVE BIG WILLIE ANOTHER YEAR MANLY!

Maybe some good person could get a large sign made which says something like......"WE WANT BIG WILLIE IN 2016 PLEASE!"
and have it prominently showing on the Hill on Monday night (similar to what was done for Tooves recently). Just an idea......

Is it not better to judge him over the next 5 weeks (where we play some of the top packs) rather than the titans / sharks?
Fair point, but if he continues going well we might lose him to another club in the meantime.

Fair point, but if he continues going well we might lose him to another club in the meantime.

And a fair point back - I think it is a risk worth taking especially when you consider
- The recruitment next year means he is depth / bench at best. Lets assume he is a no 17...which is better for the club, Willie for one year or Sao?
- Would his minimal value contract be better used with player with potential (and this needs to be managed against what positive off field influence he has)

My motivation is for Manly to be up the top of the ladder next year and I don't a 36 year old prop who's best years were 8-10 seasons ago is the way to go about it. He played well against the lowly Titans but we are still anchored down the bottom of the ladder and have been shown up by most packs we've played this year.

No thanks Willie.

You gotta love Willie, he's such a character, but at 35 ( 36 in 2016) his best days are past him.

I'd be flabbergasted if he was with us next year.!

Maybe some good person could get a large sign made which says something like......"WE WANT BIG WILLIE IN 2016 PLEASE!"
and have it prominently showing on the Hill on Monday night (similar to what was done for Tooves recently). Just an idea......
Stop it, I'm blushing...oh Willie Mason

Willie wants to stay to supplement his Foxtel deal.
There is more to our requirements than having his 30 minute game day input.

Willie has been reported as being
invaluable in his motivation to the young Players. As he seems happy to be on a modest contract, I would keep him to continue to guide them at training.

Willie has made every mistake on and off the field, so he can steer them away from most.@:cool:

Willie Mason is set to extend his NRL career into a 17th year in 2016 and past the magical 300-game mark.

Manly forward Mason revealed on Thursday he'd received interest from a number of clubs about playing on with them next year.

The former Kangaroos forward said he was unlikely to make a decision until the end of the season, but was keen to continue a first grade NRL career that began in 2000.

"I don't think this is going to be my last season, I enjoy football too much, I will definitely stay for another year" Mason, 35, said.

"I've been playing well and the body is in good shape and mentally I am still there and I'm still competing at such a high level.

"I don't think because of an age or how many games you play, you say that's it for me.

"If I didn't want to get out of bed (to play footy), If I couldn't compete at a higher level, if I couldn't train, if I had lost motivation..I would (retire).

"But that isn't the case."

Mason has played 281 NRL games with Canterbury, Sydney Roosters, North Queensland, Newcastle and Manly.

The Sea Eagles prop said he would not repeat his ill-fated Super League experiment of 2011 which lasted just six games with Hull KR, and would likely play on with a Sydney club next season.

"There are a few nibbles," he said.

"I think front-rowers are still a priority in the game. There are not that many of them and veteran senior players as well, so I tick all those boxes.

"There are a couple of Sydney clubs (interested), obviously I am trying to talk with Manly, I will see what happens."

AAP

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...rl-in-2016-20150716-gidqaj.html#ixzz3g1wYHNl5

"I've had a few nibbles...."
I hope he doesn't end up at the same club as Georgie Rose or else all that will be left will be crumbs.

I would offer him one last year.

I've seen enough so far in this otherwise ****ty season that Willie sort of seems to be a big part of any positivity that occurs on the field, and reportedly, at training.
He does well in the media and seems to have the respect of the younger brigade at Manly

Worth one more year on $120k or so.

Lets put it this way....

I would rather Manly re-sign Big Willie for another year than go chasing the likes of Greg Bird who IMO only plays well when he has a rep jumper on.....and even that's a matter of opinion. I honestly can't remember Gird playing a good game for the Tits. In fact, I can't remember him playing good club football except in his early time at the Sharks.

Willie on the other hand, despite his age, still has the enthusiasm for the game that most 20 year olds have. And while he's not the afro haired spring chicken he was when he was at Belmore, he's actually been one of our better forwards this year and I'd wager he has probably been of better value to us than Myles has for the Tits. And we've already signed Myles for 3 years.....

Last edited:
Bird has a losing culture.never played in a successful team and I think he,in some small way,contributes to this poor culture wherever he goes

I for one would love to see willy go around for one more year, but only if it's on the right money!

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4