Big money in Manly final switch

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

clontaago

First Grader
THE NRL could pocket $1million - rather than outlaying $75,000 - by shifting Manly's first finals match from Brookvale Oval to the Sydney Football Stadium.

The revelation comes after Warringah Council called for a meeting with the NRL to discuss a possibility Manly may be forced out of Brookvale Oval for its home final due to ground hire costs.

The council could take $75,000 from the match - 15 per cent of all takings - through gate receipts, sponsorship, merchandise and hospitality.

All finals matches are governed by the NRL, which believes $75,000 is excessive and may consider shifting the game to either Homebush or the SFS.

If played at the SFS, it is understood the NRL would keep gate takings, hospitality, signage and nearly all merchandise - worth about $1million.

The Sydney Cricket Ground Trust would charge minimal rental and keep only food and beverage money.

"The SFS has a contract with the NRL to stage finals football," said SCG Trust chief executive Jamie Barclay.

"The NRL would be better off financially to have the game played at the SFS than Brookvale."

Telstra Stadium would charge about $30,000 to host the game if switched from Brookvale.

Warringah Council general manager Rik Hart said yesterday his organisation's antiquated deed with Manly over the use of Brookvale Oval did not include finals matches.

Hart said council would be prepared to discuss all financial issues with the NRL.

"The present deed with the Sea Eagles going back 14 or 15 years doesn't contemplate semi-finals," Hart said.

"It hasn't been updated because the Sea Eagles haven't been in this position before.

It is Manly's first home final since the top-eight system was introduced.

"The deed with the Sea Eagles is, yes, 15 per cent but we are happy to talk with the NRL about what would be a fair outcome for us and for them," Hart said.

"Until we've had such a meeting I'm not really sure myself of the numbers because, as I said, it isn't covered in the existing deed. I don't know the parameters."

Hart said his council wanted to game to remain at Manly's traditional home ground.

"We aren't anticipating any issue. We just have to recognise the costs the community put in (to the ground)," he said.

"It isn't an optimum ground to extract revenue from but we are keen to see the semi-finals played here. I'd be horrified (if it was not).

"I strongly believe these events pull the community together."

Manly chief executive Grant Mayer was also hoping for the drama to be resolved.

"The story has generated a lot of good will," Mayer said.

"It is a matter of the council and the NRL sitting down and having fair and reasonable discussion ... common sense will prevail."

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4