Big Day Out

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Matabele

Journey Man
Who is going this year and what are you planning to see?

I wouldn't mind seeing Tool, Muse and one of the dance tents but haven't paid too much attention to who else will be there apart from the Headliners.

Big day out is the worst of the festivals, you have a mixture of iced up bogans looking for trouble, pot heads and teeny boppers, throw in your occasional drunk, for those of us going in the hope to actually see and enjoy the live music, it is little more than a waste of money and a day.

I can not stand the vibe at those places. This is where dance festivals **** all over rock fetivals

I have a ticket to see a Tool show so did not bother getting tickets to BDO. Saw Muse there a few years back, pretty good band but have not listened to them for a while.

Pyramid Rock Festival was excellent and it was dance and rock- not one farken fight.
Not really an alcohol fuelled event either which is probably a reason for the reduced violence...
On the flip side....I've seen plenty of bad **** go down at dance festivals...people ODing all over the shop after a bad batch of pills, fights between dealers...those guys don't fcuk around and general intimidation from people who are totally drug farked and trying to freak others out...plenty of bad **** goes down at dance festivals.
I've seen someone get a gun pulled on them at Field Day and that is specifically dance.
While I agree about the iced up bogans- none of them will be around the Boiler Room and you can avoid them if you have to and still have a great time at the Big Day Out...(there is also plenty of security at all of these events so I don't think anyone would have much to fear being all ages and all).
This vibe thing is in peoples heads and can talk you out of having a good time before you even go to an event...that is unless you require a pill to have a good time at these dance events?

I have only one enjoyable memory from the 4 or 5 big day outs I have been too and that was seeing my friends band skulker playing, other than that it came down to a waste of time and money

Plus I am more referring to the vibe than anything PJ. At dance festivals you have a fairly happy and buzzy vibe apart from the odd shire bogan on ice. but in general everyone is quite buzzy and are there for the music not just the scene.

I kind of get a different vibe and feeling when at BDO. It is like the feeling that you get when you walk into certain clubs, like Kink then walk into Candy's everyone at candys is in a good mood having fun and listening to the music.

Granted a lot of this could be to do with disco biscuits!

I guess Dan is trying to say that BDO has more of the Summernat V8 bogan dickhead present than a dance festival would?

granted there are some flap jacks at the BDO and I am also of the opinion that dance festivals are better than rock- but that is only because I prefer dance music.
The bogans are only annoying because that's what they like to do- be different and piss people off- as far as ****ing the vibe- if they give you **** just tell them to take a running jump- they might look a bit freaky but they do that to cover for the fact that they have no sack when it comes down to it- see it all the time!

that is the thing OPJ, have you ever tried to tell an ice head to take a running jump?

Stuff that, you have to bite your tongue and deal with it.

I think as well though at dance festivals you get more people on pingers and little bit sof speed to keep them going. Generally the pingers keep people buzzy and ina good vibe. At the BDO you tend to get a lot more people drinking and smoking pot and icing up. It kind of leads to a bit of a **** fight at times.

I am only going from my personal experiences though. I prefer rock music but much prefer dance festivals. Plump DJ's were awesome :)

Never been to a dance festival and will never go to one, I cant stand the music. There are plenty of nobs at the BDO but they generally dont bother me, im just there to see a few bands and dont really pay that much attention to whatever else is happening.

You get dickheads everywhere... i enjoy going to the big day out i've been to the last 6 and although Tool are one of my favourite bands i'm not going this year.. the rest of the bill is pretty **** and not worth the coin this year.. it's a shame they bump the price up another $10 every year.. it's getting ridiculous now

...it's not just bogans who are a worry on the ice- it does the same thing to everyone- but yes I've told many ice addicts to get fcuked living in the Cross and.. used to do it most weekends when working in clubs in Sydney- they are mainly a harm to themselves and are more likely to jump off a building or fcuk a rabbit then flatten you- if they were pissed they might flatten you or attempt to do so.

I won't be attending this years BDO. The line-up isn't overly appealing to me & for the 1st time in many years it takes place on a work day rather than the Aust Day public holiday.

I attended the 1st 8 Big Days Out ( 1992 - 1999 ) , back in the good old days when it was held at the Sydney Showground ( now Fox Precinct ). In 1992 , I was fortunate enough to see Nirvana & Violent Femmes. Coincidently the Femmes will be playing at Mona Vale Hotel on Feb 14 (some 15 years later ).

THe best BDO ( in my opinion ) was 1994. The line-up included : The Breeders , Smashing Pumpkins , Soundgarden , Ramones , Tumbleweed , Def Fx , Bjork , Meanies , Teenage Fanclub , Urge Overkill , TISM & Screemfeeder.
Ahhhhhh.............Good Times !!

Like others have mentioned , I've gone off the BDO a bit . Maybe I'm getting old. I've enjoyed Splendour In The Grass the last few years & Womadelaide (March). I also prefer to see touring bands on their sideshows that they do.

Fingers crossed that the Pixies do a Sydney show when they hit our shores in a couple of months.

I look forward to hearing peoples reviews of this years BDO.
Enjoy !!

BDO has turned to **** over the last 5 years, last years post Cronulla patriotism killed it for me, bogans with flags and southern cross tattoos everywhere, I'll be relaxing next door at Roger Waters while it's on this year and also seeing Tool the night before.

Anyone going to Soundwave next month? The line up is something you would expect on the old Warped Tour.

Ah the Warped tour 99 at Keirle Park was one of the best.

Suicidal Tendencies
Unwritten Law
Deftones
Frenzal

What a gig that was. I think that was the tour that Unwritten Law got kicked off for asking the crowd to throw **** at them which ruined all of the gear on stage

I have only one enjoyable memory from the 4 or 5 big day outs I have been too and that was seeing my friends band skulker playing, other than that it came down to a waste of time and money

Haha, I remember skulker. They were terrible (uh....no offence...) they used to do shows with Nirocris (who I think were actually WORSE!).

I've got plenty of good BDO memories. I went to BDO from 1999-2005 and saw plenty of fights in those years, but they were always alcohol soaked bogans fighting with alcohol soaked bogans.

I won't be attending this years BDO. The line-up isn't overly appealing to me & for the 1st time in many years it takes place on a work day rather than the Aust Day public holiday.

I attended the 1st 8 Big Days Out ( 1992 - 1999 ) , back in the good old days when it was held at the Sydney Showground ( now Fox Precinct ). In 1992 , I was fortunate enough to see Nirvana & Violent Femmes. Coincidently the Femmes will be playing at Mona Vale Hotel on Feb 14 (some 15 years later ).

THe best BDO ( in my opinion ) was 1994. The line-up included : The Breeders , Smashing Pumpkins , Soundgarden , Ramones , Tumbleweed , Def Fx , Bjork , Meanies , Teenage Fanclub , Urge Overkill , TISM & Screemfeeder.
Ahhhhhh.............Good Times !!

Like others have mentioned , I've gone off the BDO a bit . Maybe I'm getting old. I've enjoyed Splendour In The Grass the last few years & Womadelaide (March). I also prefer to see touring bands on their sideshows that they do.

Fingers crossed that the Pixies do a Sydney show when they hit our shores in a couple of months.

I look forward to hearing peoples reviews of this years BDO.
Enjoy !!

Yeah I went to one at the showgrounds was much better

94 was an awesome line up but I did not attend

Violent Femmes now play here every year (I am not kidding) they pretty much live here now and tour for months on end all over NSW

As for The Pixies. They will be doing V festival which I have my tickets for

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4