Best pommie imports

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Burgess, Hanley and Reilly are the best players by a long way.

There is no way I could rate Norton or Stephens anywhere in front of Phil Lowe.

Lee Crooks and Gary Schofield were very good.

Merv Hicks must be rated.

And the great Mike Sullivan played 3 years for the Junee Diesels might be a class above them all.

Alan said:
IMO there have only ever been 5 great pommie imports.
My ranking system is as follows

1) Malcolm Reilly (2 Premierships with Manly)
2) Kevin Ward (Premiership with Manly)
3) Steve Norton (Premiership with Manly)
4) Gary Stephens (Premiership with Manly)
5) Phil Lowe (premiership with Manly)
Ellery Hanley Won nothing .. can bugger off
Sam Burgess Has won nothing .... can bugger off
Tommy Bishop Won nothing .. can bugger off
Cliff Watson Won nothing ... can bugger off
Stephens and Lowe were good but not as good as Hanley and Burgess. If Hanley and Burgess played for Manly I suspect you wouldn't hesitate to agree.

jbb/james said:
John deveraux ,jonathon davies , phil clarke, bobby goulding, andy platt, dennis betts,lee crooks, are some others. Lee crooks went really well. Very much like kevin ward, kevin pringle and of course the current crop, and des drummond,ans two brothers through about super league time one was a blonde second rower, the other a fat half back. What were there names. The forward played for the sharks i thing. And andy goodway

mike gregory and maybe andy. makes me wonder if goodway was an andy now. if not they can all the poms can just be andy. will make the burgess household difficuly but easy at the same time. ellery is just poor nunciate for andy, john and jon are all just andy in the welsh tongue and so on. and of course andy roberts who was the biggest hitter in the nrl......

jbb/james said:
jbb/james said:
John deveraux ,jonathon davies , phil clarke, bobby goulding, andy platt, dennis betts,lee crooks, are some others. Lee crooks went really well. Very much like kevin ward, kevin pringle and of course the current crop, and des drummond,ans two brothers through about super league time one was a blonde second rower, the other a fat half back. What were there names. The forward played for the sharks i thing. And andy goodway

mike gregory and maybe andy. makes me wonder if goodway was an andy now. if not they can all the poms can just be andy. will make the burgess household difficuly but easy at the same time. ellery is just poor nunciate for andy, john and jon are all just andy in the welsh tongue and so on. and of course andy roberts who was the biggest hitter in the nrl......

A generation before my time, but some would say that Lewis Jones, who was known as the welsh wizard, would be the greatest of them all.

Peter C said:
A generation before my time, but some would say that Lewis Jones, who was known as the welsh wizard, would be the greatest of them all.

He only played in 2nd Division for Wentworthville for many years.

Didn't we have a welsh international playing reggies for us about 10 years ago. Lennon or something like that

Killer03 said:
In the last 15 or so years I think Adrian Morley has been the best pommie import. I don't think the Roosters win the comp in 2002 without him. The Roosters lacked a real enforcer in their forwards, they had plenty of workers in Ricketson, Fletcher, Cayless. But no one who genuinely scared people....Morley did!

In fact it was the GF where Villisanti clobbered Fittler (with a flying headbutt), that saw Morley go 'alright then' and start smashing their forwards.

No it's not irrelevant. Morley was one of the best. Thanks for mentioning him.

Chip and Chase said:
Didn't we have a welsh international playing reggies for us about 10 years ago. Lennon or something like that

We had John Devereux about 20 years ago, he was welsh, an international, and not much chop.

Mark Lennon i think

but arn't we all forgetting about the best import of all.

Gabriel Richens, aka the pleasure machine

bob dylan said:
Burgess, Hanley and Reilly are the best players by a long way.

There is no way I could rate Norton or Stephens anywhere in front of Phil Lowe.

Lee Crooks and Gary Schofield were very good.

Merv Hicks must be rated.

And the great Mike Sullivan played 3 years for the Junee Diesels might be a class above them all.

Sorry Bob, if they didn't win a premiership with manly, they don't rate. Agree with stephens in front of Norton.

Stephens was good but had very little impact on our premiership win.

Morley needs to be rated Burgess, Reilly and co. As the very best players to come and play here.

If you are forcing me to be fair dinkum you are right.

I rate them as follows just on individual talent regardless of premierships or contribution to the team results.

Mal Reilly
Sam Burgess
Ellery Hanley
followed by Morely, Ward

I also rate Burgess as the best forward in the game today, and may surpass Reilly at some future stage.

RiverEagle said:
Geez we've had some quality Poms, haven't we?!

I loved Kevin Ward (tough as your grandad's old work boots!)
But all mentioned were great.

I was a bit young to see and appreciate Mal Reilly, but know he's spoken of with awe in so many circles.

He must've been tough as teak too, coz he wasn't that big a bloke.

John Gray must've been one of the first around-the-corner kickers in 1st grade too.

(Morley probly was the best non-Manly import, but I must confess to liking Ellery Hanley's work too......would've liked him at Manly, but we had God at no.6 anyway!)

Keep the love coming my way

HappilyManly said:
Kevinward777 said:

Thanks for the 87 Premiership :angel:

We will play at the SCG in Rd 22, for the first time since that sweltering day :)

Yeah thanks big Kev!

What a good year, old '87.

God got us home on the back of blokes like KW.

I didn't know we've not played at the G since!

Should be a cracker, with finals looming.

RiverEagle said:
HappilyManly said:
Kevinward777 said:

Thanks for the 87 Premiership :angel:

We will play at the SCG in Rd 22, for the first time since that sweltering day :)

I didn't know we've not played at the G since!

Manly won by a point against Parra at the SCG in 2006.
23-22 with Matt Orford kicking the winning field goal.

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe
Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7