Best Manly fullback option ?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I don’t think any team backs up a premier fullback with another one just in case, not even the roosters. We would either have to put someone reliable enough but unexciting there (Elliot) or move another strike player there. That guy is probably Dylan Walker - who could actually do a really good job at fullback but would be prone to drops in confidence affecting his play. He’s out injured though.

I don’t think any team backs up a premier fullback with another one just in case, not even the roosters. We would either have to put someone reliable enough but unexciting there (Elliot) or move another strike player there. That guy is probably Dylan Walker - who could actually do a really good job at fullback but would be prone to drops in confidence affecting his play. He’s out injured though.
Michael Robertson, where are you when we need you ??

A winger who did an absolutely fantastic job filling in.

I wouldn't play around with fullback too much, it is not an simple "slot-someone-in" position...
Elliott seems to have worked hard at it because I have been impressed with his safety under the highball and he (generally) seems to be positioning himself well in defence...
He might not provide that explosive fullback option in attack (atm, with the potential to be a whole lot better by finals if he gets the time) but I am prepared to sacrifice that for what he brings on the defensive end of the park....
I reckon the experiment with Garrick the other week is a prime example of the need to "leave-well-enough-alone"....
This.
What some don’t seem to realize is that FB is essentially the first line of defence in many respects. They need to be good communicators with the line and counting numbers. They also need a level of confidence in telling more senior team mates where to be, to up the energy, to work harder to get into the line etc. Don’t know too much about Hoppa as I’ve not seen him play yet. However I would doubt a young player that’s not even played NSW cup yet let alone first grade would be considered at all for a position that carries the responsibilities of FB. perhaps a wing spot to start with tho. Elliot is s journeyman who’s played a number of positions in different teams, some decent some ordinary. He’s been around Long enough to have a sound enough footy brain. He’s no Tom on attack but offers a spark on occasion. Safe under the high ball and can link with outside men. I’d perhaps like him to push up around tge ball a bit more. For mine he is our number 2 fb while Toms out for now. Certainly not against exploring upgrades for next year tho.

Would love to see what Funa can do at fullback. Maybe not in the NRL arena but I think he could really excel there. I like what I see in him. Elliott is the safe pair of hands and I like him. Not sure about the other options. Walker? Maybe. Don't know enough about AHoppa and the guy's been injured for so long (then again so was Clint PBUH) ... what is it about fullbacks and injuries ...

Maxta .. agree with your comments ... and of course would prefer a dynamic and potent attacking weapon there ... but, I would add that it is a 17 man game .... having one position .. albiet, a key one, being safe and reliable is no small thing, especially in a fullback ... there are 12 other blokes on the paddock to win the game ....

And on Tom's hammies .... 2nd rowers don't need or have to use their hammies ....
In another team who had just a tad more potency and speed Woodsie...I would go with you 100% mate....just Manly without Tom, has far less options than other top teams who have a key player missing....maybe its a sign of us relying on him too much ??

I think he filled in at fullback once, it wasn't the drops in confidence that was the problem more like the dropping of bombs ( or not getting anywhere near them ).
There's more to fullback play than just attack.

I think he filled in at fullback once, it wasn't the drops in confidence that was the problem more like the dropping of bombs ( or not getting anywhere near them ).
There's more to fullback play than just attack.
Yes agreed. What I meant is that Walker himself is a confidence player. When it’s not going well he really beats himself up and has a shocker but when he gets going he’s capable of anything.

Walker is maturing and has really improved at 5/8. Fullback is a harder because you have to be thinking ahead of the play and get into the correct position in defence at every set plus know when to inject in attack. Walker is definitely worth a shot he keep talking in defence.

Thanks mate. Does anyone happen to know what the process is with repairing scar tissue on the hamstring?
Sea Eagle tissues should do the trick
1595410174210.png

When Walker is back this problem is much smaller of an issue. He slots to 1 and keep Cust at 6 who has been good.

In the meantime, Metcalf needs to go there. Its pretty frustrating hearing the “Elliott is safe” excuse - the bloke can catch a ball but is hardly even in position in defence... not really the definition of safe.

I don’t think everyone realises how crucial points is to be a threat come finals... Elliott is one if the most average first graders I’ve ever seen pull on the manly jersey... why is it such a big risk playing Metcalf? I find the sacrifice of points a much much bigger risk in todays game.

With Tom out and such ordinary alternatives until Dylan is back there really isn’t much harm playing a youngster like Metcalf or Hoppa in the 1 jersey considering our pack is basically fully fit and so are our centres and wings. Surely Most debutant rookies would love to play off the back of AFB, Jake, Taupau and DCE... Worst case we go back to Elliott and know we haven’t sacrificed x amount of points and staled our attack for weeks?

Tommy is a once in a lifetime player however he'll will be a part time fullback I feel so we need another classy full of class. Hops would be a perfect fit.

Tommy is a once in a lifetime player however he'll will be a part time fullback I feel so we need another classy full of class. Hops would be a perfect fit.
He won’t want to be a part time fullback and will go somewhere else on top money to be a full time fullback.

Tommy as a part time fullback or Gutho as a full time one?

Gutho is playing well again tonight against the tigers. He certainly has better hands than Tommy.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4