Best Manly fullback option ?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
Apart from Tom T....
Hypothetically he is an injury waiting to happen.
If Manly are to contest and be a serious finalist, who do you choose to be the 1 ??
I like Elliott and mean no disrespect, but far from the lethal fullbacks at Eels, Roosters ect and to be honest, can't see a GF win with him there.
Hard to see anyone but Tom nake us a threat to the top sides really....
Who else is there ??
Garrick
Funa
Elliott
Hoppa jnr
Walker
Out of this bunch, I would 100% give Hoppa a crack, as he is an Explosive player regardless of zero footy - if ya got it, ya got it...if he is way off NRL level, which would seem strange, as other youngsters who were not rated in his class are currently doing great things at NRL level after given an opportunity...yes there's been injuries, but been cleared 2 months ago and is 1 of the strongest including the 1st grade players in the entire squad, so appears physically capable.
The other option could be Walker, who at least adds thrust to an otherwise lacklustre attack and this is a MUST to compete moving forward. walker at least adds X factor and if can concentrate on only his running game, would definitely be a decent option.
We could easily stick with the "reliable" Elliott, but will be a similar scenario where we compete, but don't really threaten to go far come finals time.
So who do we go with besides Tom T....he will be back in 2020, but its very apparent we need other options in the case his time is limited...
Ps) The problem with Toms physio is more scar tissue on scans than a breakdown as reporty, but does appear a reoccurring issue

Last edited:
Apart from Tom T....
If Manly are to contest and be a serious finalist, who do you choose to be the 1 ??
I like Elliott and mean no disrespect, but far from the lethal fullbacks at Eels, Roosters ect and to be honest, can't see a GF win with him there.
Who else is there ??
Garrick
Funa
Elliott
Hoppa jnr
Walker
Out of this bunch, I would 100% give Hoppa a crack, as he is an Explosive player regardless of zero footy - if ya got it, ya got it...if he is way off NRL level, which would seem strange, as other youngsters who were not rated in his class are currently doing great things at NRL level after given an opportunity...yes there's been injuries, but been cleared 2 months ago and is 1 of the strongest including the 1st grade players in the entire squad, so appears physically capable.
The other option could be Walker, who at least adds thrust to an otherwise lacklustre attack and this is a MUST to compete moving forward. walker at least adds X factor and if can concentrate on only his running game, would definitely be a decent option.
We could easily stick with the "reliable" Elliott, but will be a similar scenario where we compete, but don't really threaten to go far come finals time.
So who do we go with besides Tom T....he will be back in 2020, but its very apparent we need other options in the case his time is limited...

I would be very keen to see how Dylan goes at fullback. Worth a shot given the news on Tommy. Could be a master stroke!!!

I wouldn't play around with fullback too much, it is not an simple "slot-someone-in" position...
Elliott seems to have worked hard at it because I have been impressed with his safety under the highball and he (generally) seems to be positioning himself well in defence...
He might not provide that explosive fullback option in attack (atm, with the potential to be a whole lot better by finals if he gets the time) but I am prepared to sacrifice that for what he brings on the defensive end of the park....
I reckon the experiment with Garrick the other week is a prime example of the need to "leave-well-enough-alone"....

Apart from Tom T....
Who else is there ??
Garrick
Funa
Elliott
Hoppa jnr
Walker
Ps) The problem with Toms physio is more scar tissue on scans than a breakdown as reporty, but does appear a reoccurring issue
Thanks mate. Does anyone happen to know what the process is with repairing scar tissue on the hamstring?

I would be very keen to see how Dylan goes at fullback. Worth a shot given the news on Tommy. Could be a master stroke!!!
Walker is bestvwhen his instincts are simply "run" rather than "organise" and fullback would really exploit his running game which can be dynamic.
The balance is hard as Elliott for example is the safest 2nd option available, but will only lead you to a safe finish on the table

Agree with Walker. Can ball play a bit, short kick and X Factor.
Maybe even Walker at 14 and depending how the game is going bring him in at fb or 6.
At least for first two weeks after injury. The last thing we need is another injury.

Thanks mate. Does anyone happen to know what the process is with repairing scar tissue on the hamstring?
Its a longer sit out K7 and this type injury, more so a time factor from the scan reveal than due to his movements -especially with the long, lean build of Tom are always a potential threat....I think the extra 3 weeks is precautionary to cotton wool our Star player and give more chance of being around when the whips are cracking....fingers crossed he will.

Its a longer sit out K7 and this type injury, more so a time factor from the scan reveal than due to his movements -especially with the long, lean build of Tom are always a potential threat....I think the extra 3 weeks is precautionary to cotton wool our Star player and give more chance of being around when the whips are cracking....fingers crossed he will.
So, the whole re-tear, out for the season thing is just media dribble then?

Best option you would think is a like for like replacement. Which means Hopoate as he is a fullback.

Hopefully Des gives him a run against a weakened Warriors team next week.

I seem to recall Walker was given a go at fullback a couple of seasons ago. I don't remember it being anything earth shattering in terms of performance. No side is going to keep a gun fullback on ice as a back up. Fullback money is up there with the best in the team, no salary cap can sustain more than one of that.

Look the bottom line is if Tommy is injured we can forget about going deep into the finals. Missy was admirable in his efforts last season in semis, but he's no Turbo.

Maxta .. agree with your comments ... and of course would prefer a dynamic and potent attacking weapon there ... but, I would add that it is a 17 man game .... having one position .. albiet, a key one, being safe and reliable is no small thing, especially in a fullback ... there are 12 other blokes on the paddock to win the game ....

And on Tom's hammies .... 2nd rowers don't need or have to use their hammies ....

I seem to recall Walker was given a go at fullback a couple of seasons ago. I don't remember it being anything earth shattering in terms of performance. No side is going to keep a gun fullback on ice as a back up. Fullback money is up there with the best in the team, no salary cap can sustain more than one of that.

Look the bottom line is if Tommy is injured we can forget about going deep into the finals. Missy was admirable in his efforts last season in semis, but he's no Turbo.

Round 9 2016. Loss.

I remember Walker being tried at FB some years ago, which is surprising as it was not memorable. He was firstly a turnstile and secondly had no organisational skills at all.
OK he is now a few years more experienced but his defence hasn't improved that much.
My choice, as I have advocated before is Tevita Funa.
This kid is waiting to become a 1st rate footballer and only needs some game time.
He is good under the high ball, has enough weight to stop a man on the line, and apart from 3 tries on (both side) wings, you haven't yet seen his swerve and fend that can be very effective through the middle.
We should take this opportunity to train him up now, as a FB for the rest of this year and a winger/centre/replacement FB for future years.
We will lose him if we don't take a calculated gamble now.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4