Benji Marshall

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Jabuh

Hi all, I'm not precious so feel free to call this idea as you see it. I reckon benji could be a really astute buy for us. He has continually evolved his game and become a really coolheaded game manager. Dropped for Reynolds again this week. He could take the pressure off chez and would be a really good influence on the younger boys and could mentor dce and walker/Schuster. It could even at a stretch allow dce to shift to dummy half mid game to play a scam smith role. Then we play right side with benji calling the shots and left side with either walker or schuster being fed and directed by dce.

1. Turbo
2. Hoppa
3. Walker
4. Suli
5. Garrick
6. Dce
7. Benji
8. Afb
9. Levi/fainu
10. Marty
11. Brad Parker
12. Siro
13. Jake
14. Schuster
15. Keppie
16. Jet ski
17. Homole

Use Parker/ jetski to replace Thompson and use the cash to offer benji a two year deal. Levi off at the 25 min mark, bring Schuster on to play 6 and dce to move into hooker. Assuming fainu is unavailable of course.

Thoughts?

Rewind 15 years and I'm in, his evasion in today's faster game would be up with the Ponga types....it's a reasonable idea, as does have some organising ability and can run the tempo of a game well, but I reckon Walker shows glimpses and continues to improve and the young bloke Schuster....would have him in well before bringing Benji over, good as he was in the day.

Not a bad idea.

But i think Benji wants to finish where he started.
I reckon you're right and so he should. Tigers aren't showing him much love at the moment though and two years of good coin in the current financial climate might appeal to him

His organising has been very good in the past year or 2, so that is a plus. I think I heard that he has missed the most tackles in the NRL this year. That could be because his forward pack is lazy and ineffective though. I'm undecided.

Firstly on Benji, I see where you are going but he is right in the twilight of his career and his defense is awful so far this year, that is why he has been dropped. I wouldn't be able to get on board with this at all.

I assume he will retire this year and take up a role with foxsports.

Secondly, moving DCE to hooker after 60 minutes???...........The QLD and Australian halfback, on over 1 mil a year who is our on field general...........I don't see the logic at all of ripping apart our spine and structure mid game.

It sounds a good idea to me. But is DCE a half who combines well with another playmaking half? The DCE and Foz combo worked brilliantly. I say sign Bunji and give it a go.

Anyone who thinks Benji is likely to throw his toys out of the cot and walk out of Concord is dreaming....

He is a pro, and is on board with what Madge is doing, sure he wouldn't be happy being left out, but hes no fool. He has a plum job at the tigpies waiting for him when he finishes up, as well as a media career.

He's going nowhere

Firstly on Benji, I see where you are going but he is right in the twilight of his career and his defense is awful so far this year, that is why he has been dropped. I wouldn't be able to get on board with this at all.

Secondly, moving DCE to hooker after 60 minutes???...........The QLD and Australian halfback, on over 1 mil a year who is our on field general...........I don't see the logic at all of ripping apart our spine and structure mid game.
Worked for Ben Hunt who is also 1 mil a year

Hunt had already played for QLD and Australia at 9. Lil bit different. Chez needs a Hooker or 5/8 that can assist with game management/kicking. Croker to starting 9 solves this. I'd like to see Levi used for 10/15min either side of halftime for speed/energy through the middle.
Hunt had also played half for Qld and Australia and was just thrown into hooker in origin. Good players can adapt. I'm not saying chez should play 9 but I'm sure he would be a damn good one

All valid points and admittedly I haven't seen much of benji's defence this year. I just feel he could teach our halves some composure. His career has mirrored DCE a bit. Won a premiership early, cruelled by pressure and expectation. Beat up at times in the media. He cast it off and simplified his game and matured. My idea was to shift dce to hooker after 20 mins. Let levi soak up the early onslaught to lighten the extra defensive load. Schuster would be the super sub but instead of playing dummy half he plays left half. DCE controlling the ruck with his smarts and kicking 40 20's all day from dummy half or kicking for territory without all the pressure. I just really like the idea of a dummy half with all the skills of a half and a bit of nous. The bench mark teams all have this. Smith, hodgson, friend, mahoney and cook all regularly kick from dummy half and usually to good effect. Also gives us a centre (walker) with some pretty silky skills similar to what we had in killer. Parker in the backrow which probably suits him because he runs nice hard lines and tackles hard. All of a sudden we have 4 potential last play kickers on the field at once instead of everyone rushing cherry

No. Des only picks strong defenders. Benji is not necessarily a poor defender but he has never been a strong defender. End of story.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2