Bellamy shows his true colours yet again

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Kiwi Eagle

Staff member
As of lunchtime yesterday, Aiden Guerra still couldn't decide whether to go to Olympic Park to support his Melbourne Storm teammates in last night's shoot-out against North Queensland.

Under normal circumstances, the 21-year-old would have been there in a heartbeat. But the past week has been anything but normal for Guerra, whose heart remains broken after he was banned from all football duties for signing elsewhere in 2010.

In an unprecedented case that adds weight to claims the standard NRL contract gives clubs the upper hand over players, Storm coach Craig Bellamy last week ordered Guerra to leave his boots at home for the rest of the season after learning the second-rower had agreed to a two-year deal with the Roosters.

Guerra had been trying to crack an NRL start with Melbourne's NSW Cup feeder side on the Central Coast, but Bellamy has now prevented him from taking the field as punishment.

Melbourne's stance flies in the face of Joseph Tomane, Steve Turner and Will Chambers continuing to play first grade, with the backline trio also committed to leaving next year.

But CEO Brian Waldron has defended Bellamy's decision, saying Guerra is free to join VRL park side Sunbury. He also added the coaching staff were justifiably upset, given they had patiently waited for injury-plagued Guerra to regain fitness for the past two years.

Given the June 30 transfer deadline passed long ago, Guerra is now condemned to long hours on the couch watching daytime soapies and playing video games.

He has swallowed his pride and overcome his shattered motivation to train alone at Storm HQ four times-a-week, a consolation because Melbourne is still obliged to pay his wages and allow him onto the premises.

But for the most part, Guerra can't overcome the memory of his final conversation with Bellamy after training last Tuesday.

"I told Craig about signing with the Roosters the day before, and he pulled me aside after the session,'' Guerra said. "I can still remember his words vividly. He said, `We've made a decision about your decision ... we're not going to play you any more because we see you as taking up someone else's position who will be at this club next year'.

"At first I thought he was referring to first grade, but then it sank in that I wouldn't play for the club ever again. It was very emotional because I love the place and my teammates. I feel like I've been punished like no player has been before, merely for doing something that hundreds of players do every year.

"The reason I signed at the Roosters was because I could see a better pathway to first grade.It had nothing to do with money or Melbourne. My life has just gone pear-shaped. My girlfriend [Rhiannon] and I now have to move out months before we planned. I'm by myself all day. I still train at the gym, but I put my head down when Bellyache walks past. It's left a very bad taste in my mouth. I just hope that by speaking out, this won't happen to another player.''

Guerra immediately summoned help from the Rugby League Players' Association (RLPA), whose new CEO David Garnsey believes the matter to be "unprecedented''.

But Garnsey, who is an experienced solicitor, admitted Guerra was unable to challenge his treatment because there is no express obligation in the standard NRL contract for clubs to give players a game.

"We've seen players in the past not considered for first grade after signing elsewhere, but never stopped from playing altogether,'' Garnsey said. "Aiden's case has exposed a concerning hole in the contract, where the players' rights aren't equal to the clubs'. It's something we'll be taking up in the upcoming CBA talks [next year] with the NRL.''

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/storm-bans-player-from-the-field/story-e6frexnr-1225759114349

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Interesting that the hypocritical wanker didn't class Folau in this category last year, not to mention Tomane currently.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6