Bellamy set to quit Blues

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

DVS Matt

Bencher
Bellamy set to quit Blues

July 02, 2008 12:00am

A FRUSTRATED Craig Bellamy is ready to quit as NSW coach after tonight's State of Origin decider.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal Bellamy has told friends he plans to stand down despite having been in charge for just one Origin series.

When asked yesterday whether he would continue as Blues coach beyond tonight's much-anticipated finale, Bellamy said: "No comment.''

But the man many consider to be the best coach in the game has told friends he is frustrated at some areas of officialdom and also dislikes coaching against his Storm-based Queensland players.

Bellamy has said he prefers the environment at Melbourne, where he enjoys the Storm's professional approach and efficient management.

He is also uncomfortable coaching against the Queensland-born Melbourne players who helped him to the 2007 premiership, including Billy Slater, Cameron Smith, Dallas Johnson, Greg Inglis, Israel Folau and Michael Crocker.

One source close to Bellamy said: "He is very close to his players. He hates going up against them in Origin.''

Victory tonight at ANZ Stadium will give NSW a 2-1 series win and the Blues their first series triumph in three years. There is no obvious replacement should Bellamy announce he is standing down.

But the Sydney Roosters' Brad Fittler, Manly's Des Hasler, Wests Tigers' Tim Sheens and Gold Coast's John Cartwright all loom as possible replacements.

There would also be a strong push for Country Origin coach Laurie Daley, who has the advantage of not being attached to a club side in the NRL. NSWRL general manager Geoff Carr said yesterday he would monitor the situation with Bellamy.

"I've always said you don't know what toll Origin has on club coaches and how much it takes out of them,'' Carr said. "We also don't know how it affects the club itself. Let's wait until the end of the year and let the dust settle.

"That way the coach can go away and evaluate his performance and the club (Melbourne) can evaluate its performance. It's a board decision but Craig would certainly have my support for another year.''

Storm chief executive Brian Waldron said his club would support Bellamy in any decision he made. "It is a hard one for us,'' Waldron said. "We have a philosophy that we encourage all our players and staff to be involved in rep footy.

"It is good for them. We'd also love to have Craig back all and sundry and 10 weeks away (over the Origin period) can sap Craig's time commitment he gives to us. But we have done very well inthe way it has been managed this season.''

Bellamy will cast aside thoughts about his future tonight as he bidsto give the Blues a desperately needed series triumph.

His close mate and Sharks coach Ricky Stuart - a former NSW halfback - handed out team jumpers to the Blues' backs at a team dinner last night.

Former Blues champion Paul Sironen gave out the jumpers to the forwards. "I'll be wishing the players the best of luck and hope that they individually play as best as they can,'' Stuart said. "I'm honoured to be invited into camp.''

Sironen added: "I'm very humbled and privileged to be invited into camp, particularly given the significance of the game. I may relay some of my Origin experiences but I'll just wish them the best of luck. That's all you can do.''

TAB Sportsbet last night listed Queensland as raging hot $1.60 favourites with NSW $2.30 outsiders.

If NSW lose tonight, Bellamy can take a chunk of the blame seeing that his heart isn't in it. Pathetic man

Seriously that'll do me what a faarken you know what, i hope there's uproar like our jamie copped for not wanting to play origin i despise the storm what does bellamy think he is.

It must be difficult to give instructions to take out his Qld stars the way he did us in the GF. Crocker deserves it you tosser so give it to them. Picking Mason and White as the book-ends will do me for knowing that winning is not seriously an option for NSW.

This bloke is like a deadset 2 year old. It doesnt matter how much goes his way or how much advantage he possesses, he still cant help himself from whinging about some petty issue not being precisely how he anally wants it to be.

He was a red headed stepchild in a previous life.

Lyon obviously rates Bellamy in the Brian Smith class of ****witts.

Melbourne would not exist without newscorrp support.  They get bucketloads of money and favouritism from the NRL.  They should play gayfl and not league.

Bellamy set to quit Blues!

Well, away you go Bellamy!! Don't let the door hit you on the arse as you leave (maybe a boot would be better).

White provided nothing. I hate to be a smart-arse but I rated NSW needing 6.5 but the bookies offered 4 so it was a watch-on event for me. I cheered every Blues play but I had my doubts.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6
6 3 3 16 6