Bell to be extended

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ManlyBacker

Winging it
Word in the Manly Daily is that the club is looking at extending Bell's contract beyond 2008.

He hasn't been the same since Beaver smashed his jaw in the Origin last year.

He doesn't seem to be running the same angles as last year and is more a crabbing style now.

Thoughts?

For less money I wouldn't mind, he may have made some SOO appearances since but he is not worth what he was when originally signed. Unless of course he came at an extremely good price, which I doubt.

He has played a lot better this year since he has had Lyon insdie him. I wont complain if we extend him

Spoke with him last night, wants to finish his career at Manly. Said he isn't getting much quality ball to do anything spectacular at the moment. I asked him if he preferred Lyon or Burns at 5/8... said it wasn't up to him and he would play next to anyone.... I thought a very dimplomatic response....Good on him, and I hope we sign him.

we need him, our centre cuboards are bare we have to resort to Matai on the other side

We are missing the obvious here. Centres need room or space usually. Our inside men have been crabbing and indecisive, usually meaning that when all our outside men get the ball they are forced to turn back inside or jink. Tell me the last time one of our sentences hit the ball at speed, put an in and away on an opponent or ran into a gap. Bell is class!!!

CW is on the money, I dont recall Bell passing up a opportunity outside him and stepping back inside this season. He is only doing this as there is no room due to the reasons mentioned above.

Also over the last few weeks he is seeing a little bit more space and making a few more half breaks, he is looking more dangerous every week imo.

I have to agree with CW and Garts. By the time our outside backs see the ball there is no room. I don't know the percentages but I bet most of their tries this season have come from kicks. I'd like to see more runs on the pack fringes and trailing play from Bell - riskier than the way all teams play today but you get great tries and lots of points.

Any one else think the style of play this year, from all teams - that is a lot of dummy half runs, 3 or 4 man gang tackle wrestles and slow play the balls, and bash and barge forward charges are getting incredibly boring? Every game seems to look the same.

Yeah, that's it MB... the game has developed more into who can win the ruck rather than who can work hard or show the brilliance to score the tries.

It's a damn shame.

Have to agree with all the posts that state that when our outside backs get the ball, they can't go anywhere except across the sideline. Is this the fault of our 5/8 and the strategy of running second rowers out wide? I think so.

[quote author=Canteen Worker]
Tell me the last time one of our sentences hit the ball at speed
If so we could talk our way to victory :lol:
[/quote]Thanks UP - got me on that one. (Good to see someone reads posts clearly) :cop: - Fro didn't even get this one.

If talking could guarantee a victory this site would have Manly as red hot favourites!!!! :lol: :lol:

We could always just cease with them altogether. Release Bell & Mattai & any other back for that matter.

Considering the way that the game is headed lets just concentrate on building up props and backrowers.

That way we have one solid wall and who needs all these mamby pamby footwork, freee flowing, super speedy skinny tricky buggers.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4