Beijing Medal Tally Updates

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Canteen Worker link said:
Poms are way ahead of us in the medal tally. :(

Not the Poms.  Great Britain.  A lot of their medals have been won by Scots and Irish who'd rather represent anyone but England.

I'll never forget Daley Thompson whistling during God save the cow after he won decathlon gold in LA84.  We were in Scotland at the time and he became an instant Scottish hero while it was the end of the Union as far as Fleet St was concerned. 

Well the British are certainly crowing about beating Australia in the tally, and given what is left we have little chance of catching them.

Reminds me of the old Andrew Denton song - As long as we beat New Zealand!!!! :)

I watched that one - he did well behind the Kenyans. Gutsy effort - John Walker would be proud of him (He is the last good Kiwi distance runner that I remember.)

Ch7 playing hours of boring as bat **** softball while the athletics is in full flow.  Hmmmm, Bolt in the 200M final or a crowd of screaming children and strike outs galore at the softball.

I know!  Let's show nothing but softball for 3 hours.  Geez.

Yeah Mata but once it got close they had no way to win. Shut it down and they cop a bagging. Keep it going and the same.

Athletics 200m is on tonight at 12.20 am - it is the basketball they shorted out on.

I watched that one - he did well behind the Kenyans. Gutsy effort - John Walker would be proud of him (He is the last good Kiwi distance runner that I remember.)

LOL, he is probably about the last as well CW. Willis was on the TV last night saying he is set for a long time now, probably won;t have to work til he is 40 and will be in huge demand as a bronze medalist

We picked up another gold, total up to 9, hopefully can crack the 10, have a decent chance with the NMX and Kayaking finals to come

If you can crack 10 you are a chance of getting ahead of us on the gold count as we only have one or two realistic chances of Gold left - Men's hockey and women's basketball are the two best chances I can see and both face very stern opposition. Tornado sailing is also a chance.

If you can crack 10 you are a chance of getting ahead of us on the gold count as we only have one or two realistic chances of Gold left - Men's hockey and women's basketball are the two best chances I can see and both face very stern opposition. Tornado sailing is also a chance.

CW NZ are on 9 medals total, not 9 golds.  We are on 36 total, 11 gold. 

They have 3 golds I think.

Geez if NZ beat us I think I would have to renounce my Australian citizenship and stay over here in the states!! ;)

Matabele link said:
[quote author=Chip & Chase link=topic=178127.msg193976#msg193976 date=1219065245]
[quote author=Matabele link=topic=178127.msg193868#msg193868 date=1219014893]
There are a lot of other advances since the last Olympics, not just the suits:

Deeper pool (less bounce back off the floor).
Lane ropes stop a lot of the wash (Duncan Armstrong could not surf in Biondi's wake as he did in 1988 - though Torres tried hard with Lenton yesterday).
A lot of technical work has gone into improving starts and turns. 
The pool also has 10 lanes, not 8 so there is less wash off the wall.

It's interesting to see Spitz winning the 200M fresstyle in 1920 in just over 2 minutes.  No cap even.  He wouldn't qualify for the Olympics with that time now.  But how would he go in a suit and with the ability to train fulltime???

A lot of this pool technology has been around for a while so I doubt it has as big an impact on times. Since the Speedo suit was ratified by FINA earlier this year over 50 World Records have been broken. Obviously not all of these were swum in the "fast" pool at Beijing so it's unlikely to be anything to do with pool technology.

It wouldn't surprise me if the CPC have upped the salt content of the water in the pool to get a bit of Dead Sea bouyancy action going on though. Anything to bring glory to this great nation.

[/quote]

There were 62 World records broken in 1974
[/quote]

Eastern Bloc doping ??

LOL, it happened in 1984 apparently, that is when you fellas started pouring the money into it

Looking good for at least 1 more medal, but in with a fair shot at 3

Sarah Walker should medal in the BMX, the bloke is an outside hope, Ben Fouhy has been a world champ in the K1 1000 and made his final, and Steve Ferguson just had a fantastic paddle in the K1 500m semis winning his run

Our darkest Olympic hour in recent history was Montreal in 76 when we scored a silver in the hockey and a couple of bronze if I remember. It led to the formation of the AIS and a sports programme. Interesting that the Poms have used our model and nabbed a lot of Aussie coaches and medical/support people as well. Seems to be working.

Yeah Mata but once it got close they had no way to win. Shut it down and they cop a bagging. Keep it going and the same.
  Of course they get a bagging, but you can't please everyone.  But noone in programming made the obvious, but tough call to go to something else.  It dragged on interminably - even the commentators were falling asleep and you could hear the TV sets switching to 9 and 10 all over the country. 

3 hours of utter crap in prime time.  The only consolation is that it was probably vaguely better than watching the Poomers getting flogged at bounce bounce netball with Andrew Gays having wet dream in the box. 

I take it you are not a basketball fan Mata.

Can't stand it.  A "team" sport for individuals and generally the individuals are lairs.  Men that play it are simply not tough and fit enough to have played rugby and, dare I say it, soccer.

And watching it requires putting up with the awful screeching of their shoes on the boards. 

You score, I score, set up an exciting last 5 minutes unless you're playing the US braggarts. 

LOL at you thinking that blokes that play it are not tough, obviously someone who has never been to a high level match and watch the big boys hammer each other

The NBA is more of an individual league, outside of that most places play pretty good team ball, hence the reason why the USA have missed out on every major title since the Sydney Olympics

Watched the end of the BMX today, what a weird format

3 heats in the quarters and semis, and only a 1 off medal race at the end

In the Womens final the Pommy chick was winning it, got clipped and fell off at the last corner by a frog who went on to win it, Kiwi girl came in 4th

Kiwi Eagle link said:
LOL at you thinking that blokes that play it are not tough, obviously someone who has never been to a high level match and watch the big boys hammer each other
  Bogut wouldn't last 5 minutes against the All Black pack - you know it.

Aussie Gold for a male in track and field for the first time since Ralph Doubell in Mexico City. It has been a 40 year wait. Great competition.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8