Beaver turns Frog!!!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Blowfly

Reserve Grader
Manly great STEVE MENZIES has ended speculation linking him to a  return to the NRL by signing a one-year deal with French-based  English Super League club Catalans.
  MENZIES enjoyed a fairytale farewell from the Sea Eagles with an  emphatic premiership victory in 2008, and admitted he did consider  coming back for one last year with his beloved club.
  But MENZIES has told Bigpond Sport's NRL News that he's leaving  Bradford to join Catalans Dragons in what is sure to be his last  season of professional rugby league.

Source: AAP

As much as the thought of seeing Beaver run onto Brookie in 2011 would reduce us all to tears - it's definitely best for Beaver and us that we are left with the ultimate memory and happy tears of GF 08.

Like many I wanted to see him click over Lambs 349 games but it looks like Lockyer is going to go on to smash that anyway.

Good luck to Beaver and family in France.

A real shame for us, but he'll enjoy the climate in France better than in Bradford.
I hope that he can link up with Manly in some off-field role or management capacity. :-X

cf2 is back link said:
As much as the thought of seeing Beaver run onto Brookie in 2011 would reduce us all to tears - it's definitely best for Beaver and us that we are left with the ultimate memory and happy tears of GF 08.

Like many I wanted to see him click over Lambs 349 games but it looks like Lockyer is going to go on to smash that anyway.

Good luck to Beaver and family in France.

Agreed, he deserved to go out of the NRL on that fairytale note. Don't get me wrong it would be awesome seeing him back, but his NRL playing legacy is best ending on a 40-0 grand final win. One more year of cashing in over in the UK/France and then back in some sort of role at Manly.

Manly should sign him to a $1 contract and have him come back and play the last game of the season at brookie off the bench.

It is a pity that the NRL is so narrow minded not to let him be included in our top 25.

tookey link said:
Manly should sign him to a $1 contract and have him come back and play the last game of the season at brookie off the bench.

It is a pity that the NRL is so narrow minded not to let him be included in our top 25.

Not possible, would have to be $55k

Dan was the Dessie desperation $1 contract talked (or bantered) about with Ben Kennedy a couple of years back when we also had injuries at back end of season just a joke then? ie same 55k couldn't have happened problem?

It's academic because Beaver is playing in another competition over there BUT his 180 tries in ARL/NRL + the 23 he has scored for Bradford take him to 203 all up.

10 more for catalans takes him past 212 - Irvine's record.

Anyone know what the UK record for 1st grade tries is, and whether beaver has a chance as the top try scorer ever (combined Aust / UK)?

I have a feeling ex-pat Aussie Brian Bevan scored hundreds of tries, but don't know the stats off the top of my head.

edit - it's scarcely believable but according to wikipedia bevan scored 740 tries for warrington between 1946 and 1962, so Beaver has a way to go to beat that!

cf2 is back link said:
Dan was the Dessie desperation $1 contract talked (or bantered) about with Ben Kennedy a couple of years back when we also had injuries at back end of season just a joke then? ie same 55k couldn't have happened problem?

Yes I also thought that we has BK signed on a $1 contract as well. 

Still he shouldn't be counted in our top 25 and even if we had to pay him $55k he would be worth it as they would have to close the gates at brookie for his last game.

It would be a fitting tribute. 

it was a $1 contract but that still owuld of had ot pay match payments so essentially the minimum wage for players at the itme owuld be taken up in the cap but not paid as such unless he played

cf2 is back link said:

Na it did happen, I think it is more along the lines of being registered for us. The minimum for a top 25 player is 55k

Was actually a 2 page interview with BK in RLW last week, and there was a bit of talk about this at the bottom of the page, Dessie wanted to have every base covered, so wanted to register BK for $1, BK never had any intention of playing but wanted to humour Des, but thought he was worth $3, from memory they met in the middle on that figure lol

From the Manly Daily:

"Menzies, 36, admitted the thought of returning to the Sea Eagles would have been the preferred option, but in the end, the opportunity never arose."

Hmmmmm

codewana link said:
Didn't Steve Bell head to France as well? Is he still there?

As far as I know he's still there although this year may have been his last.

I don't follow the superleague at all but from what I saw Bell was either playing wing or out of the 17 most of the time.

Did anyone catch the letter in the SMH last weekend, from a Bradford supporter slamming Orford?  It was hilarious.

ManlyBacker link said:
From the Manly Daily:

\"Menzies, 36, admitted the thought of returning to the Sea Eagles would have been the preferred option, but in the end, the opportunity never arose.\"

Hmmmmm
yeah ****`n  2nd that HmMmmMMMmMMMM............

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2