Beaver to play on in 2008

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Gronk

Bencher
Just heard it on Sports Tonight.

All they said was that they had just gotten a report that Manly legend Steve Menzies was set to play on in 2008.

Was there anything on the footy show? We have Sam Newman prancing around with his botoxed face down here.

Great news if it is true!!

Footy show was all Freddy Fittler and Singing. Small snippet from Fatty that Lyon can play better at 5/8. 3 out of 4 tipped Manly. Looks like smoke coming out of Penrith! Whatiuria to leave Tigers for either Canberra or England - Tiges have not even made an offer.

Beaver to play on in 2008 http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,22064656-5001023,00.html
By Dean Ritchie

July 13, 2007 12:00am

MANLY legend Steve Menzies last night formally announced he would play again in 2008 - and then declared he would be prepared to take a pay cut to ensure the Sea Eagles' long-term success.

Menzies - one of the NRL's most loyal players - will next Thursday hold a meeting with his manager Wayne Beavis, Manly coach Des Hasler and club chief executive Grant Mayer to discuss next year.

The former NSW and Australian forward will tonight come off the bench in Manly's bumper match against Wests Tigers at what will be a packed Brookvale Oval.

Asked whether he would be prepared to take a pay cut to remain at Manly for his 16th season and ensure the club can recruit and retain players, Menzies said: "I'd consider it for sure. There might be something we could work out.

"Manly has been good to me over the years and I've been OK with them too.

"It's something we could have a chat about."

Menzies, 33, may ask for about $250,000 for 2008 - but the club may not be prepared to outlay such money.

Manly may make an offer to Menzies of about $200,000.

Told Menzies may accept a reduced offer, Mayer said: "He's been a tremendous player for the club and that gesture shows you the type of person he is.

"We've been saying all year that when the time is right for Steve, we'll sit down and talk. It seems that time will come next Thursday.

"He's had a disrupted season through injury and I look forward to hearing from him about what he'd like to do next year."

Menzies is the greatest try-scoring forward of all time and the greatest try-scorer in Manly's 61-year history.

And Manly fans will be delighted that he wants one more season. "I'll speak to Des (Hasler) but definitely I want one more year," Menzies said.

"I'm still feeling good and I want to go as far as I can. I've had a couple of niggling injuries but the legs still feel good.

"I still feel I can run around and compete. I'll play on until I can't."

Tonight's match at Brookvale should be a cracker.

It will be a game of differing styles - Manly with their disciplined and regimented approach, the Wests Tigers ready to throw the ball around and play laterally.

The Sea Eagles will send out a star-studded backline including representative players Matt Orford, Brett Stewart, Steve Bell, Steve Matai and Jamie Lyon.

A magazine poll this week named Lyon as the game's most over-rated player, angering the Sea Eagles camp.

"Jamie Lyon has played for his country, he's played for his state and he's been playing great for us," Hasler said.

"He's kicked goals, he's scored tries and he's won us matches."

The poll in Rugby League Week also claimed that Manly were the NRL's most over-rated team - a statement the Sea Eagles will use for motivation tonight.

"It's a little odd, considering that we are sitting second on the NRL table," prop Jason King said.

I love Beaver, what a top bloke. Could Steve Menzies be the last true loyal clubman?

In regard to the rugby league week poll, couldnt have come at a better time for us. It targets the team, and the player who is the most likely to win us a premiership.

Fire up boys.

If we win the comp this year , then he should go out on the high , if not , surely we can find a little extra in the kitty to pay the bloke for next year. Its not like we wont be wasting money. We are already doing that with a few other players.

Manly should just do what the Bulldogs are doing with Grimaldi.

Give him a 50k contract and then hire him to sort the mail at the club for the next few years on 150k a year.

The Daily Telegraph on Fri is full of stuff on the Beaver. I got to read it whilst having my Gloria's at lunchtime!!!! :lol:

Must read for Manly fans. Says he will play the last season for $50k.

Doesn't quite say that. Says he's willing to sacrifice 50k, and that his manager will ask for 250k, and Manly will offer 200k with Beaver saying he is likely to accept that.

I wish he'd play for 50k!

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4