Beaver testimonial

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Matabele

Journey Man
If the NRL had any smarts about them, they would make Beaver THE face of the 2008 Centenary season. Surely he is the Dally Messenger of his time?

He embodies everything the NRL would wish to promote:

. A one club man loyal to his junior club for 16 seasons.
. The greatest try-scoring forward the game has possessed. It could be another 100 years before his try scoring feats are passed by another forward.
. A complete clean-skin on AND off the field. There has not been a whif of scandal about him for 16 years. I can only remember one sin-binning and has he ever been suspended?
. By year end 2008 he will probably be the player with the most 1st grade games to his account.
. He is articulate and presentable to sponsors and uncommitted fans. He also possesses a wicked sense of humour and media poise.
. A career marked by the safety of wearing headgear even means he is a positive role model to saoccer mums considering letting their boys have a go at mod-League.

He has made a good quid from football so he might be squeamish about taking a testimonial year.

However, the ultimate good news story for 2008 would be for him to have a testimonial year where ALL proceeds would go into Junior Rugby League in the drought-ravaged bush. It would raise millions.

Thoughts?

I have just posted something on MWSE website a similar post on the idea of a benefit year for Beaver - though not as eloquently as you!

That was my response to you CW.

I've been thinking about it ever since he announced one more year but hadn't gotten around to committing ideas to paper.

If the NRL had any smarts about them, they would make Beaver THE face of the 2008 Centenary season. Surely he is the Dally Messenger of his time?

He embodies everything the NRL would wish to promote:

. A one club man loyal to his junior club for 16 seasons.
. The greatest try-scoring forward the game has possessed. It could be another 100 years before his try scoring feats are passed by another forward.
. A complete clean-skin on AND off the field. There has not been a whif of scandal about him for 16 years. I can only remember one sin-binning and has he ever been suspended?
. By year end 2008 he will probably be the player with the most 1st grade games to his account.
. He is articulate and presentable to sponsors and uncommitted fans. He also possesses a wicked sense of humour and media poise.
. A career marked by the safety of wearing headgear even means he is a positive role model to saoccer mums considering letting their boys have a go at mod-League.

He has made a good quid from football so he might be squeamish about taking a testimonial year.

However, the ultimate good news story for 2008 would be for him to have a testimonial year where ALL proceeds would go into Junior Rugby League in the drought-ravaged bush. It would raise millions.

Thoughts?

Perfectly put and a great idea :clap:

After the Beaver rejected Massive Offers from Parramatta & the UK Super League, I think the Club and us supporters owe it to him.

agree 100% Mata, the testimonial year was something that was around when players where not renumerated as they are these days, but it should be looked at as a tribute to Beaver in an effort to raise funds for Charity.

From memory Mark Coyne did something very similar at Saints.

Id happily throw in my time to help organise the year, not many footballers have provided me with the memories he has, its the least id do.

Very worthwhile thread. Ive been preaching it for an eternity. Beaver is the NRLs answer to all the media negativity.

And just let me say this :

"Beaver Menzies, proudly wearing the underrated tag for the Manly Warringah Sea Eagles"

I somehow doubt the NRL will have the balls to do it though. Beaver was on the wrong side of the fence 10 years ago.

Great idea Mata. No doubt he is one of a kind in todays game. I was looking at the signed Beaver poster available at MSE http://www.manlyseaeagles.com.au/news.asp?tx=39&newsid=2275 and trying to work out whether there would be opposition at home to spending $295 and a bit of wall space for one who is just so special. I am lucky that I have signed photos from our legend, but this would be a nice addition.

They just spent a few minutes on the roast talking about Menzies, and TK said that the NRL should be signing him up now

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4