Beaver on Channel 9 news

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

byso

First Grader
I caught a glimps of Beaver on channel 9 news last night but I didn't catch the story, he was holding a big trophy.

Did anyone see the story and if so can you tell us what it was about?

Sounds like this:

Beaver chasing Lamb record
Greg Prichard | September 13, 2007

STEVE Menzies can't catch Ken Irvine for the title of greatest try-scorer in competition history, but if he stays healthy and the Sea Eagles make the finals again next year, he could finish his career by knocking Terry Lamb off the top of the list for most first-grade appearances.

And after yesterday being presented with a specially commissioned trophy to mark him reaching second on the try-scoring list, Menzies revealed that catching and passing Lamb was the last great individual honour he had set himself to achieve.

Menzies would have been well down the track to passing former Bulldogs star Lamb, who played 349 games for Canterbury and Western Suburbs combined, had he not missed 11 games with a groin injury earlier this season.

He has now played 321 games, with the certainty of one more this year - or two if the Sea Eagles make the grand final. Two games would leave him 26 games behind Lamb, from where he could launch an attack on the record.

Next year, which will be the last for Menzies before he retires, teams will play 24 games and have two byes over 26 rounds, so Menzies would have to not miss a game and Manly play three finals for "Beaver" to get past "Baa Baa".

It's a tall order, but Menzies said he was keen to go for it.

"If I'm fit and ready to go at the start of the year, then I'll be a chance," he said. "And from then on I'll be a chance as long as I don't get hurt - touch wood.

"I was aware at the start of this year that I was in with a good chance, but then I got the injury and that's obviously made it a lot more difficult. I'll just have to see how we finish this season and how next season goes. It would be a great honour to achieve."

Menzies, 33, said he had been fortunate to not miss a lot of games through injury during his 15-year career.

"The groin injury is easily the worst I've had, in terms of how many games I was forced to miss," he said. "I missed seven games in 1993 with a medial ligament injury to my knee and four games with a broken hand a couple of years ago, but apart from that I've been pretty lucky and just had a game or two out here and there."

Rob Delmege, from Manly sponsor Delmege Commercial, presented Menzies with the trophy at the company's North Sydney offices. The Sea Eagles forward scored two tries in last Saturday night's 30-6 win over South Sydney to break out of a tie for second with former Cronulla star Andrew Ettingshausen.

Menzies is now on 167, but former North Sydney and Manly winger Irvine is a runaway leader on 212. Menzies is yet to finalise his new contract with Manly for next year, but Sea Eagles chief executive Grant Mayer said last night he expected negotiations to be completed very soon.

its been a while since i caught a glint of beaver on the tv!

I caught a glimps of Beaver on channel 9 news last night but I didn't catch the story, he was holding a big trophy.

Did anyone see the story and if so can you tell us what it was about?

NRL's most stalked. ;)

Cheers for that Cliffy. I wonder if it is an NRL commisioned trophy or one paid for by Delmege?

I reckon he's got 2 years left in him

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4