Beaver Menzies praises Manly's unsung heroes

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Jethro

Star Trekkin' across the universe
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
SEA Eagles legend Steve Menzies has hailed the club's forward as the unsung heroes in the club’s premiership charge this season.

Read More

SEA Eagles legend Steve Menzies has hailed the club's forward as the unsung heroes in the club’s premiership charge this season.

At the halfway mark in the premiership with his team currently well placed in third spot, “Beaver” has given the hardworking pack a big wrap.

He said the forwards set up last Friday’s 32-10 win over the Bulldogs with their selfless attitude.

“Everyone is playing their part, pushing hard, working for each other and that is something you can see,” Menzies said.

“Brenton Lawrence has been really good every time I have seen him play and I always making good metres, and Matt Ballin and Choccy (Anthony Watmough) have been going well.”

Menzies cited a play by hooker Ballin against the Bulldogs as an example of the attitude among the Sea Eagles pack.

“He literally busted his gut to just make an extra eight or 10m on a kick chase,” he said.

“They are knackered but they know it is an important part of the game and it is part of their job.

“But no one sees that, they see a try or the way they defend.”

Menzies believes the team is well placed heading the back end of the season.

“Obviously they can’t be up for the whole season so it is just about winning those games when you aren’t playing at your best,” Menzies said.

He said their performance last Friday’ was one of the best he has seen this season.

He said after losing Daly Cherry — Evans, Kieran Foran stepped and Brett Stewart was putting his hand up saying he was going to change the momentum of the game.

“All those things are positive signs,” Menzies said.

“They have to ramp it up and get on a bit of a roll going into the semis, that is what you need to be doing.”

Menzies has been impressed by the form of Cherry-Evans and before he went off with a knee injury on Friday he had made a big impact.

Jon Geddes
Manly Daily

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslocal/northern-beaches/beaver-menzies-praises-manlys-unsung-heroes/story-fngr8iii-1226949563401

The real unsung hero is Starling. Gets very few wraps, gets criticised here as a plodder, but I think he's great. His job is to go out and get hammered by giants every week, not drop the ball, and back up for more. He's been doing that, and on a shoestring budget. A good buy!

Starling is a plodder but when you look at our backs you have to expect players like that elsewhere. Cannot afford stars or even up and coming stars in all positions. But in saying that he does his job and makes very few errors.

Oh that was our best effort of the season, no question.

And I hope Fluffy gets to read Beaver's wrap!

Good on all the players...especially the forwards!

Great read. So good to have the Beaver back at Manly where he belongs.

Starling might not have the most amazing leg speed, but geez he is effective in defence. We can get away his lack of leg speed because we have a mobile pack as it is. He really holds his ground in D, and refuses to let the opposition forwards steam roll us up the middle (with a little help from Matt Ballin of course!).

Meh, just one old ex-forward wrapping a bunch of forwards. *yawn*

Overseas fans are the true heroes!

RiverEagle said:
Oh that was our best effort of the season, no question.

And I hope Fluffy gets to read Beaver's wrap!

Good on all the players...especially the forwards!

I read it, seems a lot of players/ex players have read my post and agree with me and are getting it out in the media.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8