Beaver is a Legend

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Canteen Worker

First Grader
No luring Beaver away

John Greco in www.manlydaily.com.au

2 August 2008

NOT even the lure of an extra $150,000 a year to join Brad Fittler at the Roosters could convince Manly legend Steve Menzies to walk out on his junior club.

Menzies has revealed the lure of playing with the champion five-eighth almost saw him walk out on the club and link with the Roosters in 2001.

Menzies' frank admission is contained in his autobiography released yesterday: Beaver: The Steve Menzies Story.

A chapter in Menzies' book outlines how close he came to leaving his beloved club during the fall-out from the Northern Eagles debacle.

The joint-venture had fallen apart at the end of 2001 and while Manly was re-forming as a stand alone entity the toll left the club in disarray and finances critically low. It's been well-documented how hard the Eels chased the brilliant backrower at that time but Menzies admitted it was a move to Bondi that was the most appealing.

"My stepfather was keen for me to take the Roosters offer," Menzies wrote.

"He sat with me for 25 minutes giving all the reasons I should accept what they were offering.

"Part of it was the money and part of it was the vulnerability that Manly's financial woes had meant for them.

"But his biggest and most compelling argument was that it would give me the chance to play with Brad Fittler, at the time the best player in the game. I had played plenty of football with Freddie and I have to say it was a very tempting thought.

"Had I taken the better of those financial offers - Parramatta or the Roosters - I would have been $150,000 a year richer than I was at Manly. It was a lot to give up but I felt like I would have been giving my life away, my mates, my fun, my lifestyle and my heritage."

Menzies, who is now coming towards the end of 16 stellar seasons at Brookvale, said the biggest change from when he began in 1993 was the professionalism in the game.

But he warned it's not all necessarily good.

"I see 16-year-olds forced to train every day, pushed into weight sessions and multiple training routines," the 34-year-old wrote.

"When you consider the bigger picture it limits their life and development because they have no time for anything else, including education.

"For a kid subjected to professional training levels from the time he is barely past puberty the workload does more damage than good."

Canteen Worker link said:
\"Had I taken the better of those financial offers - Parramatta or the Roosters - I would have been $150,000 a year richer than I was at Manly. It was a lot to give up but I felt like I would have been giving my life away, my mates, my fun, my lifestyle and my heritage.\"
If the NRL don't do something to honour this bloke in perpetuity it will taint the game forever.

This post's title just says it all. There probably isn't a nicer, better talented, all-round superstar of a good bloke in the history of the game. He deserves a statue outside the entrance to Brookie.

ManlyBacker link said:
This post's title just says it all. There probably isn't a nicer, better talented, all-round superstar of a good bloke in the history of the game. He deserves a statue outside the entrance to Brookie.

Bloody oath.

I just hope Round 25 is a Sunday afternoon so there can be a huge game for his last home game at Brookie (given that we should have a home semi a fortnight after that!!!)

Zep link said:
would be great to see a statue...

Mate, I suggested that on the official website. If we are getting an upgrade and renovations, a statue of Beaver full stride out the front would be fantastic.

For some reason, the suggestion was deleted within seconds.

To me that speaks louder than words, and I reckon it will look great.  :p

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7