Barrett - What makes a good NRL coach?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details

NLSeaEagle

Reserve Grader
I guess the general consensus on this forum is that Baz is the man but what are the criteria to judge a well coached team.

My thoughts:

1. Defensively well organised
2. Low number of unforced errors, "dumb" plays
3. Well disciplined- no stupid, unnecessary penalties etc
4. Mentally strong in adversity
5. Players playing above their level
6. Solid game plan

Our report card :

1. F - big FAIL
2. E - big FAIL
3. D - FAIL
4. E - big FAIL
5. B+ - yes
6. C - Average at best

I went to school a long time ago but I'm pretty sure my parents would not have been happy with that report card

So I guess this is all about "potential" as a coach , not current performance?

The only measure is Premierships. Nothing else matters one Zot at the end of the day. You can tick 1-6 every week but if you don't win the comp you are just making up the numbers.
True, but can you measure a new coach on that?

To me it's about improvement. Has the team moved in the right direction? I believe so. Doesn't mean Im ecstatic, but if we play semis this year I'll be happy.

We can't win premierships every year.

A bit unfair to judge after a bad loss - as said many times on here, only the most diehard of eagles supporters would have had us in the 8 this year, and we are still there.. lets reserve judgement for a few weeks. Must remember we are a really young side with not a massive amount of NRL experience.. looking at the top 8 were probably the least experienced, perhaps Penrith aside..

The players let themselves down, Barrett down and us down. Some really stupid repetitive errors today, soft defence and the missed tackle were horrible. We played badly enough to allow the refs to help them home. It should never have got that close we just didn't turn up in the second half. I just can't understand that when they knew they were playing for a spot in the top four.

He went average last year like the team (but injuries did not help). But being a rookie coach we were entitled to give him another shot. This year we have improved (statistics wise) our attack and defence and are only one more win from playing in the finals. I give him a pass mark.

The Immortal once said.....
A coach is as good as the cattle that run on the field for him

A bit unfair to judge after a bad loss - as said many times on here, only the most diehard of eagles supporters would have had us in the 8 this year, and we are still there.. lets reserve judgement for a few weeks. Must remember we are a really young side with not a massive amount of NRL experience.. looking at the top 8 were probably the least experienced, perhaps Penrith aside..

I must have been a diehard, i expected finals football!!

Prior to the 2016 season, we were the talk of the town...................supposedly had recruited well, got a gun new coach, etc etc!
I expected 2016 was a blip and it would all click together in 2017.

NRL premiership market - Feb 2016

61a06daa831a81595805097c7c3666c1

The team has improved across the board compared to last season. The report card you put up is very silly, to be honest. This team has punched above its weight all season and if you had asked the most die-hard Manly fan at the start of the season that we would be 7th and in control of our own destiny to make the 8, they would have bitten your hand off.

I'm not suggesting we should get rid of him..........................just that all the hype is not all together deserved.

He comes across as a likeable character and may yet be a great coach ..................but hasn't as yet really shown us enough to prove it.

For all you " let's Sack Barrett" people, let's say we do in fact do that who might you suggest takes his place??

And yes @strone33 Im expecting you to have input as you are the main one who wants him gone!

And if you or anyone else suggest bringing back De$ then expect some interesting vitriol from me.

Given everything presented to Trent on & off the field, I think he has done an outstanding job. Love him. Has to be up there for coach of the year.

He won't get it but he sure deserves it.

It's just remarkable what's been done in 12 months, just a pity some dickheads can't see it!

This team has overachieved to even be in the 8 this year. I don't think we'll be able to seriously challenge for the title this year, but I have huge expectations for 2018.

Realistically if you can win 2 premierships a decade you're doing fantastically well. Even Bellamy hasn't managed any better than that, and he has had the benefit of a squad that was assembled when they had an illegitimate $2 million extra per year in their cap.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
7 4 3 49 10
9 5 4 42 10
9 5 4 -14 10
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8