Barrett and Fulton

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I just can't excuse the letting go of our juniors. Gutho/Hiku/Knight.. I just don't get it. However, the real player movements are about to start. If we can pick up a handy 2nd rower and centre/winger, we may be looking decent for '17.
Hiku was released to fit Walker in. Sorry but every club makes that move if it's presented. Hiku is a positional tweener. Walker was an Australian rep player. Even if he was tried at 6 he's still a former Kangaroo centre which is where he'll play next year.

Gutho wanted a first grade opportunity and the chips fell his way at Parra. Can't keep them all.

Knight - don't think we know the full story there. He's been given plenty of chances and the club stuck by him after that drink driving episode, so if they have released him now, after seeing that out, doubt it's just a straight release.

We might have to see if we can get some self help guru to join so we can start a resilience forum. Hate to see how people here deal with difficulties in life if you still can't reconcile Hiku being released.

Hiku was released to fit Walker in. Sorry but every club makes that move if it's presented. Hiku is a positional tweener. Walker was an Australian rep player. Even if he was tried at 6 he's still a former Kangaroo centre which is where he'll play next year.

Gutho wanted a first grade opportunity and the chips fell his way at Parra. Can't keep them all.

Knight - don't think we know the full story there. He's been given plenty of chances and the club stuck by him after that drink driving episode, so if they have released him now, after seeing that out, doubt it's just a straight release.

We might have to see if we can get some self help guru to join so we can start a resilience forum. Hate to see how people here deal with difficulties in life if you still can't reconcile Hiku being released.
funny thing is everyone was screamiing to piiss Hiku off last year. Now apparently he's amazing.

funny thing is everyone was screamiing to piiss Hiku off last year. Now apparently he's amazing.
Yep, he was slow, a defensive liability, unfit & overweight & now he is one of the best players in the comp.

Groupthink has a habit of coming up with those anomallies.

Yep, he was slow, a defensive liability, unfit & overweight & now he is one of the best players in the comp.

Groupthink has a habit of coming up with those anomallies.
Best back in the comp and our missing link despite being out almost all year

I just can't excuse the letting go of our juniors. Gutho/Hiku/Knight.. I just don't get it. However, the real player movements are about to start. If we can pick up a handy 2nd rower and centre/winger, we may be looking decent for '17.

Gutho was unfortunate loss but at the time he was down the pecking order in regards to wingers/fullbacks and would have been wasted in reggies, ontop of that coming back from ACL tear and Parra offering starting spot could have been reason he was released.

Hiku is a great player but for some reason he seemed a lil overweight and slow the last year or two he played with us... great finisher though!

Knight is another gun but maybe his behavior was an issue??

Gutho was unfortunate loss but at the time he was down the pecking order in regards to wingers/fullbacks and would have been wasted in reggies, ontop of that coming back from ACL tear and Parra offering starting spot could have been reason he was released.

Hiku is a great player but for some reason he seemed a lil overweight and slow the last year or two he played with us... great finisher though!

Knight is another gun but maybe his behavior was an issue??
Clearly Knight was unable to live up to the standards set by Jamil, Meehan & AFB.

The problem with you trying to justify and excuse Barrett for fart arsing around with Walker at 5/8 is a tough one because The Walker 5/8 experiment failed at South Sydney the year before and a good coach would have seen that .
My assessment on Barrett is he a calm pleasant chap but he has shown me nothing that he is a smart coach .

The sad thing is we had a potential 5/8th already signed for two years, but could/ did not/ did not want to give him a go there.

That was Gutherson. He has shown more rubgy league skill at 5/8th in two weeks than Walker did in 8.

Manly really should be giving every local junior more than an even chance to succeed playing for Manly than another club if they have the ability to play first grade.

Even worse was that if we had been able to convince Killer to play 5/8 from the start of this year.....we might have had a better year AND it might have seen him still going around in 2017, eliminating the need to sign a short term pivot (Green) and plug the hole we're gonna have with goal kicking next year.

Peta Hiku would generally attract multiple defenders, beat the first defender and could sniff out a try too. For a guy that appeared to carry some extra weight, he seemed to match speed against most outside backs, and could fill multiple positions well. I was very disappointed when according to Hiku himself, master coach Barrett suggested he move on. In his place, Wright was eventually brought in and Williame retained. Walker was recruited for Foran, and that worked well...LOL!

What a genius Barrett is...

The problem with you trying to justify and excuse Barrett for fart arsing around with Walker at 5/8 is a tough one because The Walker 5/8 experiment failed at South Sydney the year before and a good coach would have seen that .
My assessment on Barrett is he a calm pleasant chap but he has shown me nothing that he is a smart coach .

There are plenty of selection issues where I would disagree with Barrett. At the time, and with what was going on with the team in those first 10 weeks or so, I thought it was the right decision. As I said to Holden, not watching too many games from other teams these days, I didn't realise that Walker had played at 5/8 unsuccessfully for Souths. If I had seen those games, maybe my thoughts on the subject may have been different.

To all people saying Barrett is only in his first year at coach, well how did toovs go in his first year... Preliminary Finals. But I understand why this years been an utter failure, injuries and terrible depth in the backs (of which most injures occurred in). Next year we need to look closely at the injury back ups to see if we are capable of reaching the heights of the top 4 and with our side plus our best backline available should both Matai and Stewart return (risky as they can both suffer ongoing injuries in 2017 as well) the backline will look like...

1. Brett Stewart/Tom Trbojevic
2. Jorge Taufua
3. Dylan Walker
4. Steve Matai
5. Tom Trbojevic/Brett Stewart
6. Blake Green
7. Daly Cherry Evans

Then we have our sensational forwards and depth in the forwards... Upcoming stars in our forwards include

Willis Meehan
Jamil Hopoate
Shaun Lane
Addin Fonua Blake

Hopefully we can sign at least Gillett for the forwards, then use the 17 released player's money for some depth in the backs and maybe some more good signings.

What is the difference between Barrett and Sharp ?
Is this a trick question?
sharks-coach-peter-sharp-watches-his-team-during-a-cronulla-sharks-picture-id483295953.jpg
f805d4694753115cfed8459deec4b01c.jpg

Sorry Loobs, didn't realize we were not allowed to chat about selections/recruitment/retention issues on this site. I'll break the rule and go ahead, if it's okay with you. We took a punt on Walker and brought someone in (on who knows how much $$ but I think quite a lot more) for a proven back with far more versatility who kept out of trouble (and understood our culture) and just got on with it. Not every club makes that decision IMO. In saying that, I think Walker does have potential if he can grow up and just play some footy. In this day and age, you need to be able to behave off the field which he seems to really struggle with. I do hope you're right though and Walker goes good next year. We will see.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6