Bangas def NZ (Full Strength)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

clontaago

First Grader
Bangladesh have produced the first shock result of the World Cup, beating New Zealand by two wickets in their first warm-up match at the 3Ws stadium in Barbados, largely thanks to a fine allround display from Mashrafe Mortaza.

Set 227 for victory, Mortaza, the No.9, launched two huge sixes off James Franklin in the penultimate over to seal their first win ever one-day win over New Zealand. Although the warm-ups for the World Cup are not counted as official ODIs, Bangladesh's confidence will be soaring.

Mortaza's unbeaten 30 capped a fine allround display. His four wickets - twice hitting the stumps; trapping Peter Fulton in front and providing the wicketkeeper with a simple catch - helped restrict New Zealand to 226. This in itself represented a recovery after Bangladesh's opening bowlers, Mortaza and Syed Rasel, had reduced them to 34 for 4.

Despite his injured finger, Jacob Oram salvaged the innings with a typically belligerent 88, sharing in a brisk stand of 105 with Brendon McCullum before the wicketkeeper was run-out four short of his fifty.

Bangladesh's batsmen were buoyed by their bowlers' effort, in spite of Oram's counterattack, and set off in a hurry. Tamim Iqbal, the 17-year-old who made his debut last month, hit Franklin out of the attack before smacking Daniel Vettori for six. Vettori got his man shortly afterwards, but Tamim's boldness appeared to rub off on his team-mates. Mohammad Ashraful worked the ball around and, in spite of losing several partners at the other end, kept Bangladesh in the hunt.

The return of Franklin seemed to end Bangladesh's hopes when he trapped Ashraful leg-before. But Mortaza smacked him for consequtive sixes in the penultimate over to mark the tournament's first upset.

"It was a poor performance," admitted Stephen Fleming, the New Zealand captain. "It was a day when nothing went right. We batted poorly at the beginning and did not assess conditions that well. Then we bowled tentatively at the start. We kept clinging on in the field - but we just couldn't shake them.

"It was a great performance from them, and it gives us some problems going forward."

Bangladesh face Scotland on Thursday while New Zealand tackle Sri Lanka the following day in Jamaica

bangers are an ok team and being next door to cricket mad india you can only imagine there are enough playing that they must unearth some good players.

Being a Black Cap supporter I find this hard to take, particularly as we were at full strength. But I think you are right Fluffy they are indeed an ok team, off the top of my head a few months back there was a under 18 or under 20 cricket world cup and Bangladesh were actually favourites to take out the tournament - so from this you can only assume that there is definately some depth there.

As for the Kiwis prospects, I think this is definately a blessing in disguise. No one likes to lose games like this but let it be seen as good old rocket up the backside!!

For me NZ will make the semis along with Australia, Sri Lanka and the West Indies. The heart says NZ will beat Sri Lanka in the final!

India and South Africa are shoe ins for the semi's.

Id probably then throw the Aussies and West Indies in.

Not india for me.

Australia
West Indies
South Africa
England

I reckon, even though i can't stand england i can see the mugs getting there

it all depends on how the pitches play

india should struggle a little but i heard they are expected to play a bit slow and give the spinners plenty of help.

Murali chucka will enjoy that, speaking of which did anyone watch the twenty20 warne foundation game? I though crokers bowling was pretty similar to murali chucka's, probably another 5 degrees or so, maybe its time for another rule change.............

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4