Ballin selfish< Hodges selfish

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
He's an option but it's hardly an obvious mistake to leave him off.
When we come up against giant forward packs we need for an extra forward 'in case of emergency'. The pressure the cows put on with Taumololo, Scott, Tamou & co was huge, but we repelled them, applied pressure of our own to force errors, and scored enough tries to win the game.
Sorry, but your logic falls apart when one of our four big forward reserves is given just 13 minutes. If the coach doesn't have the confidence in this player to leave him on for long, then why pick him?

I thought the guys had a dig and congrats to them.

I have been saying about the bench rotation now for a while.

It's like the coaching staff overlook the bench and just give the last guy a run (sometimes) rather than use them as interchange players correctly.

Overall not unsatisfied though when or if we ever get our full squad on the park we'll match it with any other team. It has just been a horrible year for injuries.

There is no doubt he has been a rock.I am finding it hard to think of another dummy half who is less of a threat though. We see so many hookers making game changing runs. Get the backrowers to make the extra tackles and get a bit more attack with the quick play the balls

Nathan Friend ??

I'd say it's about 50-50 over the 16 teams as to whether they carry a dummy half option on their bench. I suppose it depends on the quality of your starting 9. I think it's time we looked at options in that department, especially whilst DCE is out. If people are worried about losing Ballins defensive capability, then leave him on there but put hodges into dummy half and ballin can play as an extra forward.

I think its a no brainer, we are wasting a bench spot with hassen. I feel for the kid, its like watching an under 12s game the coach gives his worst player a run in the last 10mins so at least he gets on the field. He is the last player we need on the paddock than. We have the worst attack in the comp. It makes no sense. Give Ballin a rest and give hodges a go. Look what J Granvil did after his break, took a scoot threw a buitifull ball witch helped set up the winning try.

I think its a no brainer, we are wasting a bench spot with hassen. I feel for the kid, its like watching an under 12s game the coach gives his worst player a run in the last 10mins so at least he gets on the field. He is the last player we need on the paddock than. We have the worst attack in the comp. It makes no sense. Give Ballin a rest and give hodges a go. Look what J Granvil did after his break, took a scoot threw a buitifull ball witch helped set up the winning try.
Hasson is the kid that gets the "Encouragement Award" on presentation night. You know, the award that the worst player gets just to try and keep them interested.

Hasson is the kid that gets the "Encouragement Award" on presentation night. You know, the award that the worst player gets just to try and keep them interested.
I do feel for him, he is copping heaps at the moment. Unfortunately i carnt see that changing. Its a hard gig playing nrl.

It's like the coaching staff overlook the bench and just give the last guy a run (sometimes) rather than use them as interchange players correctly.

Can you please elaborate on "use them as interchange players correctly"?
I didn't realise there was a right and wrong way.

My way of thinking with the use of an interchange like Hassen would be get him on for the last 10mins of the first 1/2, play the first 10mins of the 2nd 1/2, total around 20 to 30 mins. Has only chewed up one interchange. Than finish with your main pack, thats been rested. waste of time having him on for the last 10 to 15mins as he has no impact. unfortunately his value to the team is to rest the main forwards not bring him on at the end when the games in the balance. Hey i struggle with my under 12s bench, so i can imagine how hard it is in the nrl, especially with injures etc. Thats why they are paid the big bucks.

Ballin selfishly makes over 50 tackles per game, making it more difficult for his fellow team members to rack up big defence numbers.

But seriously, yes I agree we would go better with hodges on the bench and playing about 20 mins a game.

OK Stu.

It is a game of 17 on 17. I know we only have 10 interchanges. These must be used sparingly. For example one wouldn't interchange 8 players in half one and leave the team short in half two or near the end of the game.

Not that I am a coach nor do I pretend to say that I know anything about the game as a whole but I seem to see Manly use 16 players on occasion not 17 players. Or they give the 17th player 10 or 15 minutes in a game near the end. Further, I understand that a fresh set of legs can be a boon to a tiring team late in the game. Also there is the guard against an unplanned injury to consider.

Ha$ler used a similar system and used to keep a fresh interchange player for the last 10 minutes or so in Le Strange last decade. I feel that 2V is emulating that system but I think this puts us at a disadvantage late in the game where players are tired and sometimes a defensive lapse can occur ie the last two minutes in the Cowboys game. Further even against the riff there was no chase on the fullback when he kicked the field goal. The players were too tired.

If the other team is using their interchanges better (correctly) and we are not we are at a disadvantage. That is all that I meant.

There is no correct way to use interchanges. I remember even speaking to Bozo many years ago when Cliffy wasn't used against Cronulla when they played a game in WA in the early 90's I think after the game had finished. I said at that time with about 30 minutes to go Cliffy would have cut the sharks open. Fulton shrugged his shoulders (I think he just forgot about Cliffy but wouldn't admit it.) Cliffy wasn't even given a run on the night. So it is a very old problem but I think we need to use our bench better to give us every advantage.

Sorry folks but I just don't see us using our interchange in the best way. Remember, the refs and the NRL won't give Manly any advantages and if anything there appears to be a 'let's give it to Manly' approach by the officials of the league so we need to be just a bit better even to get bye. We don't have a Slater or a Smith that can appear to bend the rules and get away with it. We cannot hold up a tackled player to let a third guy come in around the legs and turn them over on their backs to slow the paly the ball area down. If we try to emulate say Melbourne in doing what they do every tackle we'd be penalised out of the game.

When a bloke cops a week for touching a referee's shirt and other players such as Tapou don't even get sanctioned I think we need to be better just to be as good.

I just think we don't use our bench players to the best of our ability. So Stu I hope this satisfies I think your rather tongue-in-cheek comment about explaining how to use the bench 'correctly.'

I'd rather have a playmaker reserve like Hodges to take Hassons place just in case Cherry goes down. And he's a spark when we got nothing in attack.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4