• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Ok - the concept seems fine...but not always a believer that technology is the best way and there will still be errors and then who do we blame.
I would prefer the opportunity to review on screen, with the technology of a line showing the ball trajectory to determine simply if the pass has broken that plane, with a yes/no based on the best angle and an instant yay or nay....definately don't want anymore sitting around 15 minutes watching replays - that crap is a killer ....

The technology tracks each of those components and in theory it should be instantly identifiable if players are onside or off-side from kicks, if the ball has gone forward or back and the direction the ball comes out of the hands when passed.

Interesting - as I reckon that's the big one the technology has to get correct. So the players get to wear transmitters hey. Beep boop warning will robinson, I'm a robot. lol

Sorry coach, I accidentally on purpose smashed my transmitter!
Chip the refs also and you should be able to run reports on the 10 m after games

Wouldnt the betting agencies be lining up for this data

I think we are a long way off having GPS trackers that are accurate enough to determine if a ball goes cm's forward or backwards from the hands ... may tell overall forward or backwards ... but then we get back to listening to numbnuts that failed primary school science discussing how balls "float forward" ...

Needs to addressed. Curiously when we have lost games due to atrocious forward pass calls or non calls no one has given a hoot.

I think we are a long way off having GPS trackers that are accurate enough to determine if a ball goes cm's forward or backwards from the hands ... may tell overall forward or backwards ... but then we get back to listening to numbnuts that failed primary school science discussing how balls "float forward" ...
should be pretty simple computation - it's all about relative motion which current technology should be able to handle comfortably. The most difficult aspect will be determining exact point of release and the vector at that instant, but it shouldn't be impossible. Whether they can do that in real time is another matter. So do you only employ this technology for tries and forget about the other 100 forward passes during a game ? (maybe only 50 now that Scam isn't throwing them form dummy half each week)

PSS ... although on reflection algorithms could be written to calculate the speed and direction of the passer against the perpendicular at the time of passing, and how much of any forward distance travelled could be concluded a result of the ball being passed forward and how much of the forward motion could be attributed to the balls own inertia at the time of passing ... what I think couldn't be determined with accuracy is the amount of force which was exerted on the ball in passing it backwards .. and as that is a crucial part of the equation I fear there would always have to be an allowance for error ... that would lead us back where we started ..

should be pretty simple computation - it's all about relative motion which current technology should be able to handle comfortably. The most difficult aspect will be determining exact point of release and the vector at that instant, but it shouldn't be impossible. Whether they can do that in real time is another matter. So do you only employ this technology for tries and forget about the other 100 forward passes during a game ? (maybe only 50 now that Scam isn't throwing them form dummy half each week)

Just added some thoughts before seeing your post ... my biggest problem is the accuracy of GPS ... even an error factor of cm's takes the direction of the ball out of the hands an iffy prospect ..

Like any ball tracking technology (DRS, Hawkeye etc) you have to accept a tolerance on accuracy. I would like to think the accuracy of the tracking would be pretty good if you are talking purpose built tracking sensors in the actual stadium (i.e not satellite GPS)

They should be able to real time track the longitudinal component of the balls vector (up and down field as opposed to across the field). If that vector increases at point of release than the ball has travelled forward relative to it's position moments prior.

Well after reading the posts from Woodsie and CnC, my IQ level has increased from the single-digits to double-digits.

Very impressive stuff... still not sure I understand it but I'm going to memorise and regurgitate it at lunch today to my other league mates and just watch their faces in astonishment and bewilderment as I regale these points, delivered with such conviction that only a person who "understands" the subject matter could deliver.

Silvertails, the pre-eminent forum in all of rugby league.

The more tracking we want in the game the more the governing body will probably want to invest in just a few stadiums

Like any ball tracking technology (DRS, Hawkeye etc) you have to accept a tolerance on accuracy. I would like to think the accuracy of the tracking would be pretty good if you are talking purpose built tracking sensors in the actual stadium (i.e not satellite GPS)

Yep, that would increase the accuracy, or certainly minimise the allowance for error ...

Have to take the earth's rotation into account also - the stadium surface could be turning either in the same direction the passer is running or the opposite direction or even at any number of adjacent angles towards or away from the ball carrier, depending on the geographic orientation of the stadium.

Have to take the earth's rotation into account also - the stadium surface could be turning either in the same direction the passer is running or the opposite direction or even at any number of adjacent angles towards or away from the ball carrier, depending on the geographic orientation of the stadium.

... and not forgetting the 23 degree tilt of the Earth and gravitational fluctuations when mercury is rising and When the moon is in the Seventh House, And Jupiter aligns with Mars
Then peace will guide the planets ..

In all seriousness, I think the sport has become far too technical. Every match they pull up play because a ball carrier has allegedly lost the ball. I reckon these refs have been watching too much CSI and should adopt a new Can't Solve It approach and let the play move on.

Even if the speed and direction of the passer can be accurately measured, which would be difficult given micro variations of the player and/or ball, AND the relative vector (which may be easier to measure), there will still be huge variations in how forward a pass seems depending on pass velocity and also the motion of the passing player after the pass is released. It's no surprise this is difficult, possibly an impossible task. If they do actually implement something it's likely to cause as many complaints as the current system.

Havent been able to read the article. ..have they thought about placing a gps chip thingy in the chest part of the sports bras the players wear as well as the ball ?

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8
8 4 4 -60 8