Backline moves

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
From watching the Souths game, it appears that we are pretty intent on making alot of backline plays and moves where we spread it wide and use cutouts and decoys to hit our centres and Snake coming through (more so that what I remember). This is great. The intent is good however the execution is largely off. Too many times the ball was thrown too deep (ie behind the player). Once Bailey didn't pass when he should have. I think we will be at least 25% more dangerous when we start to execute more of these correctly. There are not many backlines which can defensively handle Lyon, Matai and Stewart, and even Choc, coming through at pace and running onto the ball. Keep this up Des.

Baileys miracle offloads just off the ground are great......if they got to the players hands

It'll come together.  The backline moves are very similar to the 40 nil game.  Good to see we're getting back to a full complement and some good footie.   

Noticeable how other teams are copying Manly's moves now. Another reason not to put your best moves and form forward at the start of the year ... gives other teams a lot of time to test/practice defensive patterns or copy.

Yeah I noticed a few of the other teams copying a manly move I said so to leanne on Friday night

It's the creation of dangerous options that distinguish the top teams, and the ability to respond to weaknesses which automatically appear when defences commit to the presumed danger.  That's what Manly did so well in the finals last year. Having players like Choco who can create something from nothing is an added bonus. But better to have a structure which provides him clear opportunities.

The opposing argument to not showing your best moves early on is the need to practice and refine them.  Having the right structure where everyone knows their roles is vital.  So even if a player is not individually starring, his role in the structure may be vital.  It's the dummy runner who doesn't receive the ball who creates the threat which enables another player the space to score. It's the belief that Ox and Matai are a threat on the left that creates the space for Bailey, Gift or Lyon on the right ... and vice versa.

Beetson's quote about Wests beating Melbourne captures part of it:
"You don't always have to be the best team of individuals, but the best teams turns up for one another and that's just showed there's plenty of spirit in us"

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6