Aust v SL 2019

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Chip and Chase

True Supporter
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Kurtis Patterson forces his way into Test side by weight of runs - good on him, hope he has a successful debut. Burns back at top of order as well - which I like

Hazlewood injured so Jhye Richardson earns a baggy green on the back of some good ODI performances. Gabba deck might suit him so interested to see how he goes in the long form. Siddle carrying drinks (thank god)

Lankans won toss and will bat in day night test. Looking forward to seeing if the pink ball hoops around in the subtropical Brisbane twilight. Might allow Strac to get some mojo back after an indifferent India test series

Am glad that they went Richardson over Siddle though. There is no upside to Siddle.

I’ve just watched a Sri Lanka tour, overall they are a very ordinary side

The new guys coming into the side will never get a better opportunity to cement themselves and put some performances on the board, will be a tough watch for the guys that have been dropped

All out for 144 may suggest you are right KE. Burns and Usman already missed out. I would have bet before the summer that Khawaja would have been our best bat, but he is struggling. Getting out to lazy shots, doesn't seem to be concentrating. Harris will be looking to ton up here and Gazza might do a Dizzy and punch out a double as night watchman

@Ranga thankfully Richardson did a good job so no chance that Sddle sneaks in now unless there is another injury. Also think Richardson might have the style to go alright in England, does a bit off the seam. Should make Ashes squad

Richardson is an interesting proposition as much for his pace but also for how he offers a different trajectory at 5’10. I think the commentators mentioned it during the India series that it seems that Australia has a fast bowler proto-type where height is the main attribute sought. They went on to say that the best attacks have a variety of bowlers - speed, swing, left arm/right arm, off spin/ leg spin - as this never allows the batsman to get comfortable. If Richardson continues this form, remembering he is only 22, he could be extremely handy for a number of years to come as to my mind the Australian attack can be a bit one dimensional. In fact, he reminds me of a fast Andy Bichel.

And because this is a footy forum, I will link this to the Nrl. Variety in your pack is also an advantage as you want the defence to have to adapt and make decisions in respect of the different body shapes and heights of your pigs. You look at the Cowboys pack and you have height in McLean, Hess and Bolton, agility in Cooper and Lowe and breadth in Scott and Jason T and McGuire. They have an unreal pack.

By the way, I have to admit that these cricket threads are the most interesting this offseason!

By the way, I have to admit that these cricket threads are the most interesting this offseason!

I like them as well. I actually like the amateur players thread to see how mere mortals are going.

So Australia spank SL with over two and a half days to spare. Pat Cummins was superb taking his first 10 fa. Very solid debut for Jhye Richardson. Mitchell Starc again struggled for rhythm as he has done for most of the summer. Starc is a world class bowler and will undoubtedly find his mojo. I can not believe the talk of resting Starc for the next test and bringing in Siddle. Starc is down on confidence. Yes. But dropping him just before an ashes tour is not going to restore that confidence. I'm backing him to get a bag in the 2nd test. If the selectors drop him for Siddle it will show that they have truly lost the plot.

I am with you in Starc. You need to back him and allow him to get his groove back. The other bowlers can pick up a bit of slack in the meantime. Besides, as you allude to, Starc is still better than Siddle. I’d go as far as to say that with how impressive Richardson was on debut, Siddle should not get a look in again, including in the Ashes squad where they will probably take 5 quicks. (I’d take Starc, Hazlewood, Cummins, Richardson and whoever is the next best quick in the remaining shield matches).
Actually, thinking about the Ashes squad, if Bancroft scores some runs in the rest of the season there could be quite a headache for selectors given Patterson looks ok and Head and Labuschagne got a few. No world beaters, but there are a bunch who seem to be of similar capability.

That's funny. He's struggling to swing the new ball let alone getting it to reverse. He is going through what Mitchell Johnson went through in the middle of his career. He's just down on confidence, but he is too good to write off IMO. Hopefully he has a resurgence in England - a solid performance in this next test will be a good start.

Love Cummo though, what a cricketer. So pleased to see him get a ten for.

Can we see an Aussie batsmen reach triple figures in Canberra ?? It's crazy to think that we've only had one Aussie centurion in 12 months of cricket

Second test!

Aust win the toss, decide to bat.

Will they:

a) Continue their good form and realise they're not playing 20/20, or
b) Lose a couple of early wickets down to unnecessary and loose cricket shots?

Aust 3-77.

Marcus Harris must be the easiest wicket in world cricket to predict. Caught anywhere between point and keeper. If he could shelve that slash, cut, glide on the just short of a length ball he'll be averaging much more

Usman is getting worse by the innings. Woeful shot this morning. I think he needs a break

^ true dat

3-220 at tea. Nice to see a century, maybe get to see another one!

Hopefully Head gets there. He's been good this summer but blowing good starts. Be nice to see him get a big ton here to cap off his season

I think Harris and Khawaja might be in trouble when Smith and Warner come back. Still not convinced by Labuschagne either. I can easily see all three banned players come back in for the Ashes.

Great to see Head get his ton. It is easily forgotten that he is still quite young and, like some of the others, has not had the benefit of some older hard heads batting up the other end and mentoring him through an innings. If smith and Warner weren’t banned and could have batted with him, I reckon he would have converted one of his previous starts into a big score.

Couple of big hundreds and a 300+ partnership. Well done to Travis. You make a good point Ranga about experienced support around him, maybe Shaun Marsh intended on spending more time at the wicket this summer mentoring the younger guys .... not sure what happened there though

S Marsh is such an enigma. No doubt they were banking on him to provide the experience and leadership but it’s always been a risk bet with him. I love watching him bat when he is on, though.

I just saw the highlights and the Lankans dropped some sitters. Finally, our guys made them pay! Here’s hoping Patterson can get at least 50 tomorrow.

We shouldn’t get too far ahead of ourselves though. The bowling attack looks pedestrian.

In more good news, England are struggling again against the Windies!

Will be interesting to see what happens after this series, the lankans are at best a first class side at this stage, some guys are going to get some good numbers and confidence from this series but will they be able to transfer that to a series against quality opposition in the near future

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8