Assistant Coaches

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I have a question for people more knowledgeable than myself.

What's the expectation of an assistant coach exactly? I look at clubs like the Roosters and Melbourne who have credited people such as Adam O'Brien for devising their attacking strategy in premiership winning seasons while I imagine they are also carrying out the transactional work where they execute the training routines according to the main coach.

Which brings me to John Cartwright. He has previously been a NRL head coach (without much success after Mat Rogers retired) so seems servicable but doesn't strike me as adding any strategical value to Manlys game besides carrying out the head coaches instructions at training (see our performance under Barrett compared to Hasler, both with him as assistant).

Ultimately it's the head coach's responsibility for team performance but should more be expected from him? Or is he NRL standard for an assistant coach?

Carty was assisstant to Green when the Cowboys won their Premiership :nod:

On Fox, the half time dressingroom shots showed each assisstant coach with their group of players.

Snake - backs plus Cade as Chez was with the video guy

Monas - 2nd rowers plus Suli

Carty - props plus Jetski

IMG_20190612_141515.jpg

Last edited:
Cartwright knows what he is doing. The titans were always going to fail. He was with sticky when the roosters were kings. He isn’t a bad bloke and is probably learning under Des. I guess he will stay as long as he has a contract. Don’t forget seibold was here until he wasn’t needed.

On Fox, the half time dressingroom shots showed each assisstant coach with their group of players.

Monas - 2nd rowers plus Suli....
a sign of positions to come for the big boy.

So much in relation to staff involved at NRL level.
Almost like running a restaurant, as each individual staff have their own specialty area.
The Assistant coach is also like a 2nd set of eyes and ears for the head coach, in relation to everything from player performance through to individuals energy and attitude.
The importance of a strong bond between head coach and assistant is of paramount importance and a poor relationship here will pretty much split playing groups and destroy a season, as is often seen with some better sides under performing....Penrith/Brisbane in recent times would be an example.

The Assistant Coaches are so integral to team harmony.
In 2013, Brad Arthur was appointed as an Assistant Coach. I believe, we had the well publicised and perceived problems amongst the playing group and with management for the past year. It all fell apart when he left at the end of the year. I am not saying that Brad Arthur kept it all together, he may have through his man management or he encouraged it and once he left it was rife and derailed 2014.

View attachment 11574

Carty watches the middles, Monas looks after the right edge & snake looks after the left edge.

They get and translate a lot of information and micro manage sub sections of the team.

Last year we had one now 3, the improvements are far more than just Des.

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8
8 4 4 -60 8