Asotasi rumour

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
EagleRock40 said:
No thanks to Asotasi, we dont need another pensioner front rower. Bring back Lama Tasi or Brenton Lawrence from the Titans.

This. We are already Dad's army.

RE: Asotasi rumour

Brookvale said:
Rumour is growing ;-)

In my best Arnie voice, "It's not a rumour!"

I'm actually starting to warm to signing Asotasi. More to the point I think its worth the risk. A one year deal with a one year option based on him playing X amount of games. The reason why is that it should further enhance our reputation as a club that can get players back on track. This SHOULD help us in the future when it comes to signing and holding onto players, especially if those that leave continue to play poorly. It really should be a selling point we have in contract negotiations, we should be able to tell parents of young kids something like "eventhough the Eels might be offering your son a little bit more cash, what we have a track record of doing is looking after our players and helping them have successful careers". We should be able to point to players like Robbo, Bryant, Joe, Rodney, etc and say its worth sacrificing a few dollars to come to us. Getting similar results out of Roy will not only enhance our reputation as a club which gets the best out of players but the prospect of Asotasi near his best is actually a pretty good one. If it doesn't work out than nothing really lost as far as I'm concerned, players would get an opportunity still if he's out injured and if its only for one year we are only spending money we currently have free anyway.

The more I think about it the more I think its worth the risk. That being said, I've mentioned Brendand Lawrence before and still maintain he's someone who would fit in with our club.

On his day Roy was one of the best props in the game. However that was back in 2006. Wouldn't say no to him at the right price though.

The key to winning premierships is through identifying cheap, good prop options.

Bennett is right, you should never spend more than $300k on a prop. He broke that rule with Snowden because Tinkler wanted him, look how that is working out.

If we can pick up Roy cheaply enough he will turn out to be a good pick up.

Props - Here's the ball, run 10m. Play the ball. Repeat 10 times.

clontaago said:

Hahaha

Sometimes this can be difficult for some props to understand... hence the coaching part comes in

The way I see it signing Asotasi is a bit like signing Willie Mason except:

1. Asotasi is likely to be a better influence off the field.

2. Asotasi is imo more likely to be able to recapture his past form.

Like ME said, it is relatively low risk if he is not on big coin. So having given it a fair bit of thought, I am starting to warm to the idea.

MadMarcus said:

Like ME said, it is relatively low risk if he is not on big coin. So having given it a fair bit of thought, I am starting to warm to the idea.
Forget where Newcastle sit on the ladder Mason has been outstanding. Did you see him at half time geeing the young fellas up as the left the field. The blokes grown up and can play

clontaago said:

Its when you add - dont spill the pill - and offload once in a while......that it suddenly becomes complicated for some props.

Asotasi spends more time of the field than on, he is on 400k and still has a year left on his contract, Souths can keep him.

Eagle1188 said:
Asotasi spends more time of the field than on, he is on 400k and still has a year left on his contract, Souths can keep him.

Thats exactly what people said about BK.

At the right price Asotasi would be worth the risk.

Signing him tells me Joe G has decided to retire at Season's end.

Cameron said:
MadMarcus said:

Forget where Newcastle sit on the ladder Mason has been outstanding. Did you see him at half time geeing the young fellas up as the left the field. The blokes grown up and can play

No I haven't seen Mason play mate. Sounds like he has been a good buy. Maybe he just needed to hit rock bottom before he fixed his attitude? It is always good to see older players showing enthusiasm for the game that they did not always show as young blokes.

I must admit I never liked Willie Mason, but I saw that on the weekend too Cambo and it raised my opinion of him.

It would appear he has finally matured somewhat and is leading that group at Newcastle.

Mason has been Arsecastles best player for weeks.

Looks like they will get some real value for their Willie dollar.

NFN2IT said:
clontaago said:

Hahaha

Sometimes this can be difficult for some props to understand... hence the coaching part comes in

The facet of prop play that is often over looked is ruck defence. Both King and Kite (in particular) cop plenty of attention for poor go forward but it is their overall package that keeps the coach happy. They are mobile big guys that don't miss a lot of tackles and get up and back from a tackle quick enough to keep the ruck tight and not give away penalties. How many times can you recall Kite getting penalised for holding down a player?

King does get caught out sometimes but there are plenty of times when I have noticed him make the extra effort to trail across and plug a gap on the inside.

In addition they both bring a lot to the team off the field. I agree that Asotasi could do the same but it would have to be at the right price given his injury history. My memory of his defence is that it was pretty solid and he was mobile. Faoso may not be quite as solid in defense but he would still be good value in our tight salary cap situation.

clontaago said:
I must admit I never liked Willie Mason, but I saw that on the weekend too Cambo and it raised my opinion of him.

It would appear he has finally matured somewhat and is leading that group at Newcastle.

I've spoken to a few former team mates of Willie and they've all said the same thing. Every member of the playing group loves him. He gives the young kids confidence and helps people if they are having a tough trot. The problem is he's almost too much of an influence and any falling out with a coach usually leads to a split playing group.

willie was a gamble same way as teflon todd was a gamble for the roosters, sometimes they work out sometimes they don't. Maybe willie has grown up at last.

still a big NO for asotasi, there is a good reason the dogs let him and thurston go.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2