Ashes Tour

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

Kiwi Eagle

Staff member
I'm with ya on all that C&C, the Gilchrist thing used to crack me up because he would walk like he was the fairest player on earth but with the gloves on he would go up for absolutely anything. Still remember McMillan and Gilchrist having a big blow up on the field about it lol

I'm still not convinced at all on the hawkeye tracking, have seen a few where the predicted path doesn't even come close to what I was watching live.
That Haddin one last night, people got confused because there was a mark already there which people focused on but about 2-3 inches down near the back of the bat you could see the spot. Watching live I heard the noise and couldn't believe England weren't celebrating more, it seemed an obvious one

Clint

Tipping Member
There is little doubt in my mind that Haddin knicked it and the correct decision was eventually made.

Re walking - I don't blame Broad for not walking. As stated earlier, I blame Aus for wasting earlier referrals. That said, my missus made a valid point when she mentioned the foundation of cricket and being a gentlemans game. I wonder what some of the players from yesteryear think. That said, it is a professional game nowadays.
Me personally, I always walked if I was out. That said, I mainly played 2nd grade park cricket so it was often my team mate adjudicating, and I didn't think it right to stand there if I knicked one. Places unfair pressure on my team mate.

Fluffy

Journey Man
Haddin edged the ball no doubt, the noise and position of the bat away from the pad mean that the slight hot spot could have only come from the ball. His reaction also indicated he felt the edge.

I have no problems with Broad standing but the number of "umpires calls" that went to the poms was something like 5 - 2, that is getting pretty 1 sided.

Chip and Chase

True Supporter
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I think WG Grace was the original non walker. Didn't he stand his ground in a test even though his furniture was scattered all over the park ?? I don't know if there ever was a time where players walked as a rule.

I generally walk these days, but I can tell you it depends on the opposition. If they are playing fair and in the right spirit I'll walk, if they are cocks who want to appeal for everything then I'm not walking if I smash it down the throat of mid off. It's a two way street, as a bowler you know pretty well if something is worth a decent shout. These days it's like no one knows the LBW rule anymore, how many vociferous appeals do you have for balls clearly pitching outside leg, even at test level. There are a certain couple of teams in our comp who to a man will go up for anything that hits a pad, regardless of line, height or massive inside edges heard three suburbs away. That really ruins a game for me because it's obvious cheating.

Clint

Tipping Member
Absolutely agree C&C. I can't bring myself to appeal for something that I know is not out.

Kiwi Eagle

Staff member
Was the old story about WG Grace being bowled, picking the bails up and putting them back in the grooves and saying to the bowler "they came to watch me bat, not you bowl" and carried on haha

I drum into my 2nds team to walk as we umpire ourselves, but it does get hard when we play the dirty Riccs who are blatant cheaters, even go as far as sending guys out to call no balls so they get free hits, 1 of the other captains tipped me off about it so I put myself into a position to look and sure enough they were doing it and I blew my stack, completely lost the plot. Horrible days cricket that one haha. 1 time against them I'd had enough so didn't walk and ended up winning us the game and didn't like the feeling of it tbh so haven't done it again

Now I'm playing Prems we have proper umps but haven't been in the position yet to walk so unsure what I'd do, I would probably still go

Clint

Tipping Member
A few years back we were playing the local 'cowboy' team. We batted first & a couple of our blokes walked on a couple of close caught behind decisions. The opposition captain commended our blokes for walking. Come their turn to bat & one of their blokes smashes one aka Stuart Broad & refuses to walk & is not given out by his team mate. I approached their skipper at drinks to explain our disappointment but of course just got palmed off.
It sucks not having official umpires sometimes but as we saw this week even they can get it horribly wrong sometimes.

Kiwi Eagle said:
Was the old story about WG Grace being bowled, picking the bails up and putting them back in the grooves and saying to the bowler "they came to watch me bat, not you bowl" and carried on haha

I drum into my 2nds team to walk as we umpire ourselves, but it does get hard when we play the dirty Riccs who are blatant cheaters, even go as far as sending guys out to call no balls so they get free hits, 1 of the other captains tipped me off about it so I put myself into a position to look and sure enough they were doing it and I blew my stack, completely lost the plot. Horrible days cricket that one haha. 1 time against them I'd had enough so didn't walk and ended up winning us the game and didn't like the feeling of it tbh so haven't done it again

Now I'm playing Prems we have proper umps but haven't been in the position yet to walk so unsure what I'd do, I would probably still go

Against that team you should approach the district and inform them your team won't be playing without a black and white,worthwhile investment

Chip and Chase

True Supporter
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Some talk about Katich getting a recall (admittedly speculative talk only). How funny would that be after his run in with Clarkie, you'd love to be a fly on the wall in the Lord's dressing room. Anyway Katto should never have been dropped in the first place.

Not that it has been an issue lately, but who will sing the victory song should we win a test match. Hussey for some inexplicable reason handed the reins over to Lyon, who was never going to be a certain pick in the XI. So if we win does Lyon lead the song or does someone in the actual team have to do it ?

Clint

Tipping Member
I thought exactly the same thing C&C when Lyon was handed the gig. But in Huss's defence, with the exception of Clarke, there was probably no one else guaranteed their spot in the team either. Shows the lack of stability in the team.

Clint

Tipping Member
Hmm Watson is a cancer in the side apparently.
A few people I know don't rate Clarke as a captain.
Personally I don't have a problem with him being captain.
Apart from the fact we do not have anyone else to do it, I think he does a reasonable job.
Obviously I don't know what happens behind the scenes though!

Chip and Chase

True Supporter
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Yes those comments from Clark and the fact that Mickey Arthur has come out and said it was Watson who tattle taled on Warner should make for some harmonious dressing rooms.

I'm not sure about Clark as skip, he has really struggled to unify this team. There has been friction the whole time, it seems you are either his bestie or you are on the outer. He has had well publicised run ins with Katich, Symonds, Hussey, Warner and Watson in recent memory. He can play, and I also don't mind his tactical ability, he is definitely not a conservative captain, but I think he has problem with the man management part of the process. Not easy balancing all those egos and getting them heading in the right direction. Maybe it's just a symptom of the modern day professional sportsman, seems we have muppets and show ponies at international level in a few of our high profile sports, not the least of which is League and Union. The good old days of respecting your national jersey/cap above all else seems gone.

Clint said:
I thought exactly the same thing C&C when Lyon was handed the gig. But in Huss's defence, with the exception of Clarke, there was probably no one else guaranteed their spot in the team either. Shows the lack of stability in the team.

Lyon was one of Huss's best mates, Lyon looked solid in the team until he chose to not accompany Clark on Packers yacht after Huss's last test (the trip was called an official cricket Australia function at the last minute) rather he chose to stay with Huss and a few others to celebrate his career - thus ending his

Clint

Tipping Member
voicefromthehill said:
Clint said:

Lyon was one of Huss's best mates, Lyon looked solid in the team until he chose to not accompany Clark on Packers yacht after Huss's last test (the trip was called an official cricket Australia function at the last minute) rather he chose to stay with Huss and a few others to celebrate his career - thus ending his

Funny you should say that VFTH - I never ever thought Lyon had cemented his place in the team. I always thought he has one ordinary performance away from getting the flick.
He then goes and gets 9 wickets in a test against India and then gets the flick....ahhh the irony..:huh:

I was going to place a couple of bets for tonight's game but am unsure of what the 11 will be.
Will Khawaja come in for Cowan and will Starc hold off Harris and Bird?
There is also talk that Pattinson could be under pressure so we can play a genuine swing bowler.
After Cowan's performance, or lack thereof, I would have thought Warner may have been a chance until he flew out to Zimbabwe.
My 11
Watson
Rogers
Khawaja
Clarke
Hughes
Smith
Haddin
Agar
Starc
Siddle
Pattinson

I would not be disappointed to have any combination of the bowlers mentioned above. They all have a claim.
I just don't want Cowan in the 11.

Clint

Tipping Member
Hey. I just met the Queen. 6 degrees of separation through Phil Hughes. ;-) played cricket with Phil at Sawtell before he went on to bigger & better things.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
11 9 2 82 20
11 8 3 112 18
11 8 3 75 18
11 7 4 65 16
12 7 5 135 14
12 7 5 57 14
11 6 5 -9 14
11 6 5 -38 14
12 6 5 36 13
11 5 6 47 12