Article re Penn saying we will be here in 2021

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

mjb136

MWSE fanatic
Premium Member
Manly chairman and majority owner Scott Penn is adamant the club will survive the coronavirus crisis, declaring: “We will absolutely be there for the 2021 season.”

The Sea Eagles have been identified as one of the clubs most financially vulnerable following the outbreak, relying heavily on their private owners to keep tipping in money to ensure they remain viable. The Penn family is estimated to have injected about $1 million per season on average to keep Manly ticking over during a long association with the club.

Sydney-based franchises lost about $12 million between them during the last financial year, raising fears COVID-19 could be a death blow for some. Speaking from New York, Penn is adamant the Sea Eagles won’t be one of them.

“Absolutely, we are committed,” Penn told the Herald. “We can ride this out, we’re confident we can do that. We will absolutely be there for the 2021 season. We have committed to it. We are working night and day, around the clock, to come up with a scenario where we keep it alive - and we will.

Continues at:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I suppose he has to keep his investment afloat if he intends to offload it down the track

THE MANLY SEA EAGLES CLUB IS NOT ONLY AN INVESTMENT

IT IS ALSO AN ASSET TO US MANLY FANS WHO OVER THE YEARS HAVE MADE OUR GREAT CLUB PART OF OUR LIVES

SINCE 1947 OUR GREAT CLUB HAS ALSO BECOME OUR GREAT TRADITION FROM PASSIONATE PLAYERS , INVESTORS AND FANS

WE CANNOT ONLY RELY ON THE FUNDS OF THE PENNS

FUNDS AND FANS GO HAND IN HAND !

ALL OF US MANLY FANS MUST PLAY A ROLE AS WELL
download.jpg

Last edited:
I have been hearing negative media on Manly for almost 40 years....so Im not going to believe much from them in these dark times....in fact it's pretty predictable...
Lets Get Real Here feathered friends ....
Our Great clubs future in not in the Medias hands
Our Great clubs future is in the hands of Passionate Manly people
All Passionate Manly People can make a difference
Because Passion Always Prevails !!!
download.jpg

Last edited:
Manly chairman and majority owner Scott Penn is adamant the club will survive the coronavirus crisis, declaring: “We will absolutely be there for the 2021 season.”

The Sea Eagles have been identified as one of the clubs most financially vulnerable following the outbreak, relying heavily on their private owners to keep tipping in money to ensure they remain viable. The Penn family is estimated to have injected about $1 million per season on average to keep Manly ticking over during a long association with the club.

Sydney-based franchises lost about $12 million between them during the last financial year, raising fears COVID-19 could be a death blow for some. Speaking from New York, Penn is adamant the Sea Eagles won’t be one of them.

“Absolutely, we are committed,” Penn told the Herald. “We can ride this out, we’re confident we can do that. We will absolutely be there for the 2021 season. We have committed to it. We are working night and day, around the clock, to come up with a scenario where we keep it alive - and we will.

Continues at:
Thanks for posting the link @mjb136.

As I started reading the story I was thinking how lucky we are at this time that we have Hasler and a group of Manly old boys back in key roles around the team. People who bleed maroon and white.

Then I read read Scott's comments (courtesy of SMH)...

“The magic formula every year is a combination of multiple factors and money isn’t everything,” Penn said. “You can have a whole lot of injuries in one year. We’ve done a brilliant job of managing the cap.

“One of the key skills is bringing players through the ranks and extracting their true potential. Finding players who haven’t reached their potential at other clubs and putting them into our system, giving them the belief they deserve and make them better.”

Scott get's it, the coaching staff get it, the playing group get it, we (the fans) get it. A champion team isn't bought, it's built. And we have all the right people in the right positions to get us through this and come out strong the other side.

Thanks for posting the link @mjb136.

As I started reading the story I was thinking how lucky we are at this time that we have Hasler and a group of Manly old boys back in key roles around the team. People who bleed maroon and white.

Then I read read Scott's comments (courtesy of SMH)...

“The magic formula every year is a combination of multiple factors and money isn’t everything,” Penn said. “You can have a whole lot of injuries in one year. We’ve done a brilliant job of managing the cap.

“One of the key skills is bringing players through the ranks and extracting their true potential. Finding players who haven’t reached their potential at other clubs and putting them into our system, giving them the belief they deserve and make them better.”

Scott get's it, the coaching staff get it, the playing group get it, we (the fans) get it. A champion team isn't bought, it's built. And we have all the right people in the right positions to get us through this and come out strong the other side.
Yep, as pathetic as Penn has been at times, some of the business experiences he has been through must have finally rubbed off on him. He finally "get's it". He ain't going anywhere, at least until he can cash in on what has fallen in his lap through the intelligence of others..

Do I think our resurgence has come around due to him being a great businessman? No, i'm not that stupid, but i'm sure he is smart enough to realise that he is on a winner and needs to see it through to fruition and will pony up to come out ahead later.

Well, there we go. Good news. Now I'm sure the 'media' will accept that and stop pushing their own agendas.

Actually, I kinda wish Penn released all that as an email to the club and members (you know...us..the fans) as opposed to the media.

So at least the members can feel good knowing there's a club in the future.

Noice!

Glad to hear Penn come out and say he's committed to the Eagles and that we'll all have something to look forward to next year, but geez, he always says a little more than I'd like. He's our very own Scotty from Marketing, throwing around buzz words like "nimble" and spruiking eSports as the saviour of rugby league. He does realise eSport is very different to real sport, right? Or does he really picture a future where large numbers of people pay to watch DCE, Tommy and Jake take on another team in a few rounds of "Overwatch"?

Glad to hear Penn come out and say he's committed to the Eagles and that we'll all have something to look forward to next year, but geez, he always says a little more than I'd like. He's our very own Scotty from Marketing, throwing around buzz words like "nimble" and spruiking eSports as the saviour of rugby league. He does realise eSport is very different to real sport, right? Or does he really picture a future where large numbers of people pay to watch DCE, Tommy and Jake take on another team in a few rounds of "Overwatch"?
Maybe he thinks Twitch will buy the NRL rights

The media want us to fold, it's the old I hate Manly thing (when you ask people why the majority don't know why they hate us, it's because everyone else does)

We are owned privately by the Penn's, they will take a finical hit like most companies but once everything is back to normal his business will do well after everyone being stuck at home not exercising and putting weight on, those people will using weight lose programs.

The clubs who rely on league clubs profits will struggle the most.

Memberships won't increase this year even if the game restarts mid year but I think next year there will be an increase if this virus has blown over and people start to pick up employment.
People spending more time with family will be important and spending a day at the footy will be part of that.

I don't put as much money in as most of you probably do as I only ever buy a 3 game membership. Main reasons are I'm a shift worker and work a lot of weekends and also don't live locally.
I usually buy my supporter gear online from the club as I know where the money goes, buy from anywhere else and that store takes a cut of that.

Some major sports have turned to eSports to maintain fan engagement while the real thing is temporarily down. He is probably following their lead.

The F1......

Story:

Some major sports have turned to eSports to maintain fan engagement while the real thing is temporarily down. He is probably following their lead.

The F1......

Story:

Sporting News Australia ( which I like on Facebook) apparently hosted the games that would have been played last night on one of those XBox or PS thingies and people were watching in on YouTube, I did see our very own @ellakasmar mention she was going to tune in so she might like to update.

It would be fun to say have actual players from the sides doing it but that might be too difficult ( although isn’t everything cloud based these days )???

I have always failed to see what the drama was ... going in ... The Penn's knew that with the exception of Broncos, every club loses money .. and that it would cost a couple of million a year out of their own pockets ,to have their own footall club .... for whatever reason .. generosity to the people of Manly, or just ego, don't care which ... they bought the club with eyes wide open ...

Sure, long term they have always harbored ambitions that the changing landscape may one day make clubs a financial success ... one day ..

But how has the suspension of the game made it any more expensive for the Penn's? ... their major cost of players salaries has been drastically reduced and at this point still covered by the NRL ... all the coaching staff and office staff and support staff have also been sent home or will be .. also greatly reducing their running costs ... no 50 squad airfares and accomodations every week is also a huge reduction in costs ....

The one area I see as a problem is the hire costs of Brookie from the council .... is this a yearly contract or hired per game ?? either way one would think that this issue will be resolved ... cheaply ???

So, I just don't see how this drama, if it is limited to one season, puts any huge increase in the Penn's normal ability to fund the club ???

And if I am wrong ... and it will cost him $2mil this year rather than $1mil .... we have the wrong owners anyway ....

PSS .. It is however great that the Penn's have come out and stated their support .... and up you to all the doomsayers in the media ....

Manly Sea Eagles owner Scott Penn to stand by club
Locked down in New York amid the biggest health and financial crisis of our lifetime, Manly’s proud owner Scott Penn has sent a message of hope to concerned players and supporters.
Paul Crawley, The Daily Telegraph
Subscriber only
|
March 28, 2020 6:28am
Close
Manly Sea Eagles owner Scott Penn and his family have thrown in more than a $1 million a year to keep their battling NRL club afloat for more than a decade now.
And even in lock down in New York amid the biggest health and financial crisis of our lifetime, Penn has sent a message of hope to concerned Sea Eagles players and supporters: “We will be fine ... we are not walking away.”
It seems every time rugby league is going through a tough time some people will try and get rid of Manly out of the competition.
But for the haters out their predicting the coronavirus will finally get the job done for them, Penn vowed he would not give up on making sure a team remained on Sydney’s northern beaches.
“Look, we are absolutely the heart and soul of the northern beaches and the north shore and we are here to stay,” Penn said. “We are not walking away that is for sure.
“Obviously we are concerned about the prospect of not playing this year. But we have done all of our modelling.
“Stephen (chief executive Stephen Humphreys) and our finance team have done an excellent job doing a number of scenario plans, all of which we can live with.
“None of them are pretty but all of them will ensure that the club survives.
“The disappointing thing for us is that we were super excited for this year.
“We have a fantastic roster and we did well last year despite the injuries.
“It is bitterly disappointing to have to go through this now when we were confident we were going to be right up there. But this is not going to go on forever. This is a temporary thing.
“Yes, it is having a massive global impact. But this is not going to be forever.”

Manly Chairman Scott Penn is stuck in the United States on lockdown during this crisis. Picture: Getty Images.

Penn also wanted to get the message out to his players that he promises the club will do everything in its power to look after them in this time of crisis.
“Right now is about the health and safety of our staff and we are managing that as best we can in an extraordinary environment,” he continued.
“Everyone realises it is going to have a huge impact on players and staff. The thing is we are all in this together.
“We all want a viable and successful future and we are just going to have to go through some short term pain.
“We will come through this.”
Penn also gave a sobering insight into what life has been like trapped at the epicentre of the United States coronavirus crisis for five weeks.
He revealed he was due to fly back in time for Manly’s opening round clash against Melbourne but it was too late.
“Look, it is pretty crazy. We are bunkered down,” Penn said.
“The day I was due to fly out everything kind of went a bit pear-shaped.
“I originally pushed it back a couple of days and then the self-isolation came in.
“Then I knew it was going to be hard to get back.
“It is very much lock down. No one is on the streets after 7pm. It is an interesting time.”
Manly is expected to follow rival clubs by standing down all football club staff – but the Sea Eagles could also consider a left-field option.
Sea Eagles chief executive Stephen Humphreys will address key staff members about the course his club will navigate through the financially crippling coronavirus pandemic.
Humphreys would not elaborate on which course of action he would take but the club is expected to follow Canberra, North Queensland, Parramatta, Canterbury, Penrith and Cronulla by standing down the club’s coaching staff.
Manly could though consider asking staff to reduce their daily hours and therefore slash their weekly income.
The financially prudent option could mean football staff work around three hours a day and are paid accordingly. Such a move would reduce running costs for a club known to be facing financial difficulties.
The possibility that football club staff would be retained on reduced hours would allow coaches to stay and work together preparing for the competition’s resumption.
This option, some suggest, would also benefit the welfare of football club officials. Long-term separation could be damaging, according to some officials.

Sea Eagles CEO Stephen Humphreys could opt to keep some football staff on part time, but a stand down is also a real possibility. Picture: AAP.

Manly could simply continue to be fully operational but that would appear unlikely to the cash drain. The likely scenario at this stage is that Manly would ask football club staff to take some form of leave.
Humphreys has been in constant dialogue with Manly’s owners, primarily the Penn family, throughout the past week.
“We have delayed making any decision until we have as much information as we could,” Humphreys said. “We are expecting an update from the NRL (on Friday) and we will then look to take a position.
“(A stand down) is one of the scenarios we are considering. We have seen what many other clubs have done and understand why they have done that.
“We will take all the latest information on board overnight and then make our decision.”
Humphreys will address his club today after a morning hook-up with the NRL.
“We will get all the latest information from that call,” Humphreys said. “We are looking to find the right balance to put in place.”
Manly players were told not to attend training this week and to exercise self-isolation protocols. The vast majority of Manly’s administration was stood down last week.
Sea Eagles players are expected to continue training individually to ensure peak fitness when - or if - the NRL competition resumes this year.
Workaholic Manly coach Des Hasler continues to monitor every scenario.
Some clubs are concerned that standing down coaches would hinder the physical and mental wellbeing of players.
The Sea Eagles could announce their position on Friday afternoon.
Manly won one of their two games this season which included a 9-8 win over Sydney Roosters at Leichhardt Oval.

The F1......

Story:
The problem being that every rugby league video game that has ever been made is absolute crap and no one has ever played them for more than 15 minutes. It's not like F1 or FIFA, where there are huge, established games with massive user bases.

No need to worry about the financial health of the Penn Health Group, as after all, they started building a legal medical marijuana manufacturing business in Pennsylvania, in 2018.

You might say that their business is Coronaproof, but I couldn't possibly comment.

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8
8 4 4 -60 8