Arrive Alive Cup

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Ryan

Journey Man
I noticed in the past three seasons, that Manly weren't mentioned at all in the ranks coming through the arrive alive cup. Wests, Brisbane (all QLD clubs), Cronulla, The Sharks are the major teams (from what I hear), that have the majority of schoolboy talent coming though - I also appreciate the fact that a lot of youngsters never make it, but players like Fittler, Barrett & Marshall do.

I am extrremely happy that Manly has now attained a few school kids coming through arrive alive cup.

I'm not sure which school (Endevour High I think) he came from, but Trent Rose (young Hooker in Jersey Flegg) came through the ranks - (Yes - brother of George). I think he may have been a Roosters junior at the time - but hey - he's home now.

It would be great if we could Network somehow (Canteen Worker), and assist in getting more Nth Beaches / Nth Shore based schools to take part.

Do we think anything can be done Dave? Does anyone have any ideas on how we could get more interest in the game this side of the city?

True - Nth Beaches has a plethora of Union clubs...it's uppermarket (apparently) there, so predominantly private school driven.

(After Halloween, I refuse to say the area is upper class)...

Did Trent really play Arrive Alive Cup?

I thought he was basically lured from Bathurst by Manly when his bro signed, but I'll admit that I hadn't really thought about it at the time.

He's still got enough mates in Bathurst, that's for sure. That's one reason why I imagined he'd only left for the big smoke recently...

This is a tricky one. I work at a school which is one of a few that develops pretty good Rugby players. In the end good players are draw to places where there is a good programme but also strong teams as it enhances their chance to play in winning teams and further rep chances. Of course some also offer scholarships and the like.

There are a few designated Sports High Schools, Endeavour and Westfield being two (In Union we beat the latter by nearly 40 points) and then there are schools like St Gregs and Keebra Park that have strong League Cultures and traditions.

The clubs tend to have little to do with local schools, especially in the enrolment stakes, though of course the occasional country kid is directed to a school, whilst boarding in the area. Support is given to coaching etc but in the end the clubs offer assistance to all schools in an region than focus on one or two.

Manly have Narrabeen Sports High in the locality but I wouldn't have a clue if there is a league programme there. They certainly haven't excelled in League as yet. Maybe too many Barton Lynches and Layne Beachleys.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4