ARLC approves 18th player.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

globaleagle

01100111 01100101
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member

Following heated debate within the rugby league community, the Australian Rugby League Commission (ARLC) has approved the introduction of an 18th man in the NRL premiership.

On Tuesday afternoon, the ARLC gave in principle approval for the introduction of an 18th player when three team members fail HIA tests, but the concussion substitute must be an “emerging player”.

The ARLC will consult with clubs and players before the rule is implemented from round five, which commences on Thursday, April 8th.

Although the 18th player would have benefited Cronulla on Sunday evening, NRL teams have rarely found themselves in such an unfortunate situation.

As revealed by the NRL Physio, the previous instance of three players failing an HIA in the same team before last weekend was round seven of the 2016 premiership.

Key points:
NRL teams can field an 18th player after three players from a team fail HIA tests
The 18th player must be an emerging player
The new rule will commence from round five after the ARLC has consulted the RLPA, clubs and coaches

Andrew Webster
@awebster1975
I trust all NRL coaches to use the 18th man for concussions in a fair and honest manner. *hairflick

Phil Gould
@PhilGould15
Good luck with that ...

I think I'm relatively comfortable with it.

Has only come up once in 184 games and not sure the incentive for a coach to rort it to get a development player on.

Emerging player , that could be a reasonably broad criteria and outside the top 30 squad ? ] . Wonder who may be best suited at Manly . but then 3 players to have experienced a H I A , hopefully very unlikely . maybe just a token measure but may still serve a purpose if ever legitimately needed .

Emerging player , that could be a reasonably broad criteria and outside the top 30 squad ? ] . Wonder who may be best suited at Manly . but then 3 players to have experienced a H I A , hopefully very unlikely . maybe just a token measure but may still serve a purpose if ever legitimately needed .
Can bring up Dylan Smith from workers

Can bring up Dylan Smith from workers
Looks like a good and complete full back . There is already an 18 th man now to allow for any last minute injuries or unavailability for the run on 17 of course and usually an established player . So that player would most likely not be eligible so then who would technically be the 18 th man , the 18 th man for a last minute injury or 18 th man for the H I A provision .

I don't like the idea. It means that 16 promising players miss out on a game of football each week. Plus, such an injury plague like Cronulla suffered is only likely to happen once every two seasons.

I think it’s a bit pointless tbh as so rare this will occur. Agree with Read and Kent in this last night in 360 in that the nrl need to stop being so bloody reactive. Just shows they have no control.

I like the idea of using a development player as a back up tho not an established first grader

I don't think I like this one tbh. Why is it that an 18th man is chosen for an HIA failure..... why not have 17 people on stand by? Is it only the FIRST concussion that matters?

If I read the statements correctly from the coach of the Sharks re: losing 3 people to HIA last weekend, he said 'i really could have used another player out there..... so yeah, I support the new rule'.

hhhmmmm - no mention of 'i am worried about the safety of my players and like the idea of not putting them at risk'?

Are we just trying to appease coaches here and not have a team play with a less man? Or are we trying to protect players and their welfare?

Why not have multiple players on standby for an HIA? If an independent doctor rules you out of a game, a player that wasn't deemed good enough for the starting 17 steps in to replace them. Why limit it to 1 person? Is it a cost exercise? If yes - are they placing a financial constraint on health and wellbeing of employees?

Ok - I am ranting and off topic.... but honestly... this stinks. Either get over it (and play short staffed) or make the whole squad of 30 availabel to be called up. Anything in between feels like it does not have player welfare in mind.

Okay so god forbid it doesn't happen but
Let's say one team loses 3 players to HIA then is able to have their 18th developmwnt player take the field.

What if the opposition side has no HIA but suffers 4 or 5 non HIA injuries that rule a player out ?

Okay so god forbid it doesn't happen but
Let's say one team loses 3 players to HIA then is able to have their 18th developmwnt player take the field.

What if the opposition side has no HIA but suffers 4 or 5 non HIA injuries that rule a player out ?
Prob cos it will take away the narrative of the backs against the wall victories like our vs Canberra last year. People are quick to forget Souths beat us with three out for an entire half only two weeks ago.

Personally I think an 18th man should only be used for foul play when the impacted player doesn't return. If another player goes down then the offending player gets sent off.
It just doesn't make sense that the team that has a player who fails his HIA because of foul play is disadvantaged ‍♂️

So if you lose 3 players to concussion you can bring in a player who is not ready for first grade as replacement.

It'll be a lucky seat number drawn out, winner gets to wear the #18. A great marketing tool.
My little opinion is that it's a battle of attrition, a sporting "war" and last man standing wins! Unfortunate if you lose players but it's all.part of the game!

And right on cue, the storm are the first one's to cheat.... 'loophole' it.

The Melbourne Storm have admitted “there was nothing wrong” with Cameron Munster after a sin bin drama in Friday night’s clash with the Sydney Roosters.

“Munster was a tactical one,” admitted Storm general manager Frank Ponissi, “There was nothing wrong with him. He said Radley hardly got him.

Players hurt in a foul play incident get a free interchange if a player is hurt and an opponent is placed on report or sin binned.

But with Radley facing three weeks on the sideline for the shot it’s raised questions that other teams will look to use exploit the rules for a free interchange.

And right on cue, the storm are the first one's to cheat.... 'loophole' it.

The Melbourne Storm have admitted “there was nothing wrong” with Cameron Munster after a sin bin drama in Friday night’s clash with the Sydney Roosters.

“Munster was a tactical one,” admitted Storm general manager Frank Ponissi, “There was nothing wrong with him. He said Radley hardly got him.

Players hurt in a foul play incident get a free interchange if a player is hurt and an opponent is placed on report or sin binned.

But with Radley facing three weeks on the sideline for the shot it’s raised questions that other teams will look to use exploit the rules for a free interchange.
Yes straight off and straight back on after the interchange , dodgy as all ****!!

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8
8 4 4 -60 8