ARKO Daly best halfback in NRL

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

DUFFMAN

Bencher
We’re for Sydney | Daily Telegraph
NRL 2020: Daly Cherry-Evans now the best halfback, Ken Arthurson
Paul Crawley, The Daily Telegraph
June 5, 2020 4:21pm

Subscriber only

Manly’s legendary godfather Ken Arthurson has handed Daly Cherry-Evans some stunning praise in the countdown to the five-year anniversary of his infamous backflip on Gold Coast.

Ahead of today’s head-to-head showdown with Parramatta’s inform Mitchell Moses, Arthurson declared the often maligned $10 million man had earned the right to be named among Sea Eagles’ greatest No.7s.

And Arko also reckons DCE is also now the NRL’s most influential playmaker.

Manly Sea Eagles godfather Ken Arthurson says Daly Cheery Evans has become the most influential halfback in the NRL. Picture: AAP.

Manly Sea Eagles godfather Ken Arthurson says Daly Cheery Evans has become the most influential halfback in the NRL. Picture: AAP.

“Toovs (Geoff Toovey) is entitled to be No.1 (on Manly’s all-time halfback list) but Daly is right up there at the top of the tree,” Arthurson said.

Over the decades Manly has had some champion No.7s.

Arthurson himself played in Manly’s first grand final in 1951 and so has seen them all.

Dennis Ward was their first premiership winning halfback in 1972 and played for the Kangaroos.

There was Johnny Mayes, Englishman Gary Stephens, and John Gibbs, Steve Martin and Des Hasler all represented Australia.

Phil Blake a sensation in the 1980s and played in two grand finals.

Toovey was also the Churchill Medallist in 1996 as well as being, pound-for-pound, the toughest of his era. Matt Orford captained them to a premiership and was a Dally M Medal winner.

Cherry-Evans won a comp in his rookie season in 2011, and also took out the Clive Churchill in 2013 in a losing side.

But it’s since Hasler’s return he’s taken his game to the next level.

Arthurson has seen all of Manly’s champion halves and says Daly Cherry Evans is in the top three of all time. Picture: Brett Costello
Arthurson has seen all of Manly’s champion halves and says Daly Cherry Evans is in the top three of all time. Picture: Brett Costello

“You have brought back a lot of memories for me when you started to name those players because you are quite right, all of those blokes were bloody good players,” Arthurson added.

“You do forget how good some of them were in their time.

“But I have got to say, if you are comparing Daly with the others he is right up there with the top halfbacks who has played for the club.

“And I have seen them all, there is not a struck match between quite a few of them.

“Toovs would be the No 1 if you had to pick.

“But all those men were really top players in their own way.”

This match against the Eels is shaping up as a ripper on the back of impressive performances from both teams last weekend.

While so much was made of Tom Trbojevic’s performance against the Bulldogs, Cherry-Evans was also superb.

But this clash against the inform Eels is next level.

These are the sort of games where chief playmakers earn their pay packet.

Daly Cherry-Evans has gone to another level after the return of Des Hasler to Manly. Picture: Getty Images.
Daly Cherry-Evans has gone to another level after the return of Des Hasler to Manly. Picture: Getty Images.

It was also two years ago next week that Cherry-Evans was under attack after a woeful performance against the Warriors led to calls for Jake Trbojevic to take over as Manly captain.

At the time Braith Anasta was not on his own — or out of line — when he labelled Cherry-Evans “a great frontrunner” but added “as soon as they get behind (and) they need something, he doesn’t deliver.”

Mick Ennis said: “As the marquee man you have got to deliver in those big moment”.

But that was then, and this is now.

There has been a lot of expectation put on the Eels this year, and especially Moses who is often described as the game’s most naturally gifted halfback.

But DCE is without doubt the new benchmark following the retirement of Cooper Cronk and Johnathan Thurston in recent years.

“I think he does an outstanding job as captain too, and he is growing into the role,” Arthurson said of the now 31-year-old.

“He has matured with age and experience.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoping for a big one this week DCE!

Did Daly not return a skype session with "Cowardly creepy Crawley" as he lays on the jabs pretty thick in at the opening.

Just who is counting down to a FIVE year anniversary to dce deciding to stay with a better club? And still going on about the dubious accuracy of the "10 million" dollars.

Crap writing like that is a good reason not to be allowed to make things subscriber only.

Hoping for a big one this week DCE!

Did Daly not return a skype session with "Cowardly creepy Crawley" as he lays on the jabs pretty thick in at the opening.

Just who is counting down to a FIVE year anniversary to dce deciding to stay with a better club? And still going on about the dubious accuracy of the "10 million" dollars.

Crap writing like that is a good reason not to be allowed to make things subscriber only.

Arghhhh it's 2:42am and you still beat me too it!
Yeah who the fark is "counting down the days" what complete trash

Quite frankly as much as it pains me to say here I think DCE has been pretty ordinary the last couple of years. As an absolute marquee player, halfback and Captain I havent seen enough consistent dominant match winning displays from him. Despite this he is a media darling and rarely criticised but as a Manly fan for 40 odd years I want more from him. He should be in the absolute prime of his career right now. Hopefully it happens soon because without him at his best we're not gonna win comps.

Today would be an awesome day to deliver a performance befitting the "best halfback in the game"

Mitchell Moses' name was bandied around as a potential Blues SOO half - big opportunity for DCE to dominate him this afternoon and prove he is the deserved Qld and Kangaroo number 7. No excuses today - we are full strength, in form and on a dry track - time to shine.

Quite frankly as much as it pains me to say here I think DCE has been pretty ordinary the last couple of years. As an absolute marquee player, halfback and Captain I havent seen enough consistent dominant match winning displays from him. Despite this he is a media darling and rarely criticised but as a Manly fan for 40 odd years I want more from him. He should be in the absolute prime of his career right now. Hopefully it happens soon because without him at his best we're not gonna win comps.
Agree, but the last two weeks he's been much, much better. As the squad builds more combos like they started last week he'll get there quick

Over reliant on sharp short side plays off quick play the balls or playing deep off a second man play---DCE needs to own the middle more at the advantage line, straighten up and turn the defensive shoulders inward towards him, having hard running forwards or Tom pushing up on his inside hip to encourage Daly to straighten up with options on both sides. (Just like the Tom try before the Covid break)

Having inside options offers DCE more go to "safe" plays when he is lacking ideas and penetration---sometimes when out of ideas he pushes the miracle play.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4