Approved $ 36.1 million funding for centre of excellence

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
What exactly does a centre of excellence give anyone or any club apart from flash new rooms and gym. Laurie Daley was flapping on the other day about the NSW one at Homebush and how it would help grass roots footy. I asked them how and he couldn't answer it.
I thought Brookvale oval being entirely revamped would be the priority.

Just a question before I get shot down, as I don't fully understand the perceived benefit

Last edited:
What exactly does a centre of excellence give anyone or any club apart from flash new rooms and gym. Laurie Daley was flapping on the other day about the NSW one at Homebush and how it would help grass roots footy. I asked them how and he couldn't answer it.

Just a question before I got shot down, as I don't fully understand the perceived benefit
It is from my understanding all day to day admin operations, membership team and staff will work out of these new offices for manly sea eagles
The centre could be offered for training purposes for the team, the team could train from Brookvale Oval on more days.
That is my very limited scope of this.

Just a question before I got shot down, as I don't fully understand the perceived benefit

I think if you don’t have the COE you don’t get anything so it’s better to go the COE route and get something done off the back of that.

11tTNkNy1SdXGg.gif

Trent right about now!

St Augustine's boys will also be utilizing the facilities for their sporting requirements

It's a small step but the northern end can be worked in even during the season :clap:

Back to the announcement: has anyone discussed this with the Northern Beaches Council?

I would feel much more confident if Mayor Regan was quoted somewhere in the announcement, stating that he and Council look forward to working with all other parties to make it so.

Back to the announcement: has anyone discussed this with the Northern Beaches Council?

I would feel much more confident if Mayor Regan was quoted somewhere in the announcement, stating that he and Council look forward to working with all other parties to make it so.

Agreed and also would like to see a bit more details of how even minor ones what small fixers or repairs are going to happen around the rest of the ground with some of this money.

Just a question before I get shot down, as I don't fully understand the perceived benefit

I think you’ll find that the COE will have the ability to be utilised for game day functions etc of a large scale. It won’t just be Office and performance space.

Apparently a centre of excellence is:

A center of excellence (COE) is a team, a shared facility or an entity that provides leadership, best practices, research, support and/or training for a focus area.

https://sport.nsw.gov.au/aboutus/OOS/SIG/CentresExcellenceProgram

In December 2017, the NSW Government announced that $50m would be allocated towards Centres of Excellence for NSW NRL Clubs. The new centres will be multi-purpose facilities that will allow emerging talent and high performance athletes to have world-class training and development while also supporting the needs of the local community.

Funding from the NSW Government must be matched dollar for dollar from NRL clubs and/or third parties. Five clubs have been approved for funding:

Bulldogs - $2 million
Knights - $10 million
Rabbitohs - $8.696 million
Roosters - $5.765 million
Sharks - $8 million

Funding reservations have been made for two more clubs whilst they further develop their proposals:

Sea Eagles - Up to $10 million for a Centre of Excellence at Brookvale
Wests Tigers - $5.5 million for Stage One of their Centre of Excellence

Any substantial capital investment in Brookie (forget Lottoland) is a step towards ensuring a long term future there for Manly. Sure we want more than words, but I see this announcement as a significant win. And terribly overdue, of course.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2