antique website

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
[QUOTE="Mark from Brisbane, n't do " post counts" back then, but I know I had over 10,000 on OEE, and another 15,000 on MWSE, so I'm guessing by the time I get to 20k on here I'll be approaching 50,000 comments overall, wow, how much wasted time is that![/QUOTE]
Boy you must talk a lot,
Please keep it up, looking forward to you getting to 100000

You also have to remember back then not everyone had the internet, and certainly not at home.

As a travel agent we were very early adopters of this new fangled technology, connecting to the net ( via dial up modem) in the very early 90's.

To give you youngins an idea of how it was back then , downloading a massive 2mb file would take maybe 2-3 hours.

I remember downloading a 5mb file from my accountant ( end of year figures that needed to be copied back on my first ever PC, a massive 10mb hard drive and cost $6000 in 1989 dollars, probably $30k today), and going in on a Sunday to do it as there was less traffic, I started at 7am, and eventually got it all through ( after two dropouts because the file was so large) about 3.30pm.

I found Bryan Gaenslers webpage the first year it was in operation ( and I forget exactly but think it was 1995).

They didn't do " post counts" back then, but I know I had over 10,000 on OEE, and another 15,000 on MWSE, so I'm guessing by the time I get to 20k on here I'll be approaching 50,000 comments overall, wow, how much wasted time is that!

That's precisely why I didn't start posting til the OEE days - we never had an internet connection at home; I would've found Bryan's webpage in a Computer Studies lesson at school, but it wasn't until I got to uni in 1998 that I had (mostly) unsupervised access to computers that could be used to access the internet!

That's precisely why I didn't start posting til the OEE days - we never had an internet connection at home; I would've found Bryan's webpage in a Computer Studies lesson at school, but it wasn't until I got to uni in 1998 that I had (mostly) unsupervised access to computers that could be used to access the internet!

Having home internet in those days was almost unheard of, I only had it at work but then put an extra phone line in at home to run a modem maybe 1997-98.

Primarily used for work ( we had dial up flight bookings by about then) , but plenty of Manly stuff when I had the time.

My mother in law has an 'official' book that would publish every single web-page the internet had on it.

It's from the very, very early days.

Can you imagine that now???????

He's in Toronto now so maybe @globaleagle can send Hat around to interview him

I actually did send the good Professor an email about his site and this thread and he very kindly responded. :)

He mentioned the site is still up and gets about 30 hits a day!

Like me, he has retained his Manly membership.
Like me, he stayed up to watch the game yesterday (midnight for him though.)

Unlike me he probably wasn't errr.. "tipsy."

What a nice guy for responding.

So....there you all go!

@:cool:

I actually did send the good Professor an email about his site and this thread and he very kindly responded. :)

He mentioned the site is still up and gets about 30 hits a day!

Like me, he has retained his Manly membership.
Like me, he stayed up to watch the game yesterday (midnight for him though.)

Unlike me he probably wasn't errr.. "tipsy."

What a nice guy for responding.

So....there you all go!

@:cool:

Send him one and say " Mark from Moree says hi", we met one day when he was flying from Narrabri to Sydney, saw his name on the manifest ( we did the check in at Moree) so jumped into the plane and went on to say hello, he was just Bryan back then, at University.

And agree, great of him to respond.

The first comment was funny and predictable even way back then...the fkn refs hated us...

"Bad luck Manly, on losing to Canberra. I'm sure that missed knock on didn't help. But look on the bright side, it may well be Field's last game"

Send him one and say " Mark from Moree says hi", we met one day when he was flying from Narrabri to Sydney, saw his name on the manifest ( we did the check in at Moree) so jumped into the plane and went on to say hello, he was just Bryan back then, at University.

And agree, great of him to respond.

Done! Any further demands will cost ya!

oops...edit: lol

Last edited:
Gee, lots of familiar posters on the OEE message board - JBB, Briza, Andrew, Mark, some bloke calling himself Shoe and it was back in the days when Commander was using his full moniker.

2005 wasn't a great year for Manly but we did celebrate the first anniversary of the successful Silvertails breakaway from OEE.

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8
8 4 4 -60 8