Anthony Seibold

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I think he's a good coach. It's hard to say how good.

His results speak more to the way Bennett left the club than anything he has done to be honest. Although he has got rid of a lot of the older crew who were closer to Bennett, there are still a few Bennett disciples hanging around the squad on top coin. I believe some of their players are sabotaging AS and poisoning the team.

The thing is they signed him for five years so they really need to back his vision.
If there’s no noticeable improvement in results, culture, style by halfway through next year then they’re in trouble.
He’s a new style of coach - Bachelor of Teaching and Master of Education or something like that so different methodologies for players to get used to.
I do like that they are failing and there’s lots of finger pointing going on, it’s easy to blame someone else but I’d say it’s the sum of a lot of parts.
Seibold and management will be tested, I wonder who wins in the end.

You know, if you actually put together a best ever Manly team comprising only of local juniors, it would be surprising who actually misses out. Players like Eadie, the Stewarts, Bozo, Killer, Fatty, Crusher, Rowdy, Des, Cliffy, Ken Irvine, Branighan, O'Neill, Spudd, Matai, Mal Reilly, Kevin Ward etc would be ineligible.

At a rough guess, and just my opinion, a Manly juniors best ever side (since 1947) would look something like:

Bob Batty, Craig Hancock, Gordon Willoughby, Russel Gartner, Tom Trbojevic, Ian Martin, Geoff Toovey, Roy Bull, Max Krilich, Bill Hamilton, Steve Menzies, Terry Randall, Jake Trbojevic. Bench - Rex Mossop, Daniel Gartner, Fred Jones, Phil Blake.

And the local junior coaches would be Frank Stanton and Ken Arthurson.
Alan Thompson and John Harvey, both Australian rep players

Wasn't Phil Daley also a Manly junior? He's a premiership winner and kangaroo.

He was a Manly junior. He played for the Narraweena Hawks, the same club that gave Manly players like Ian Martin, Matt Dunford and Craig Hancock.

IIRC he was kicked off the NSW Origin team in 1988 before Game 3 in Sydney for breaking curfew when he left the team hotel to visit his pregnant wife.

1986 Kangaroo tourist (7 minor games against Cumbria, Oldham, Widnes, Hull plus 3 games in France, but no tests), 1987 premiership winner and played the first 2 Ashes tests at prop in 1988 as well as the 70-8 win over PNG in Wagga later that year. In Game 1 of the 1988 Ashes at the SFS, the 100th Ashes test, he was the only NSW player in Australia's starting pack and one of three Manly players in the team (Snoz was in the centres, Fatty the 2nd row). The only other NSW forward in the side was Steve Folkes who was on the bench.

I'd have to go Bucknall...even if only because he broke Sattler's jaw.@:cool:

Cronulla tried the same thing with Mal Reilly in 1973 (Tommy Bishop admitted a few years ago they deliberately took out Reilly believing he was our kingpin. But he also admitted that while focusing on Mal, he blundered because he forgot about Bozo).

Like Bucknall in 1970, it didn't work. Souffs won then, we won in '73.

Seibold’s position will surely become untenable if they lose to the Bulldogs next weekend. If that happens, it will be 3 consecutive weeks where they’ve handed points to teams they need to fiercely battle with to avoid the wooden spoon

Bob Batty, Craig Hancock, Gordon Willoughby, Russel Gartner, Tom Trbojevic, Ian Martin, Geoff Toovey, Roy Bull, Max Krilich, Bill Hamilton, Steve Menzies, Terry Randall, Jake Trbojevic. Bench - Rex Mossop, Daniel Gartner, Fred Jones, Phil Blake.

I am biased V8 ... but I would have old mate Ray Ritchie on the wing ahead of Hancock ... Ray was a NSW and an Australian rep player ...

Sleepy Bucknall was only mentioned tongue in cheek. My real pick would be John Harvey mainly for his aggression..

You know, if you actually put together a best ever Manly team comprising only of local juniors, it would be surprising who actually misses out. Players like Eadie, the Stewarts, Bozo, Killer, Fatty, Crusher, Rowdy, Des, Cliffy, Ken Irvine, Branighan, O'Neill, Spudd, Matai, Mal Reilly, Kevin Ward etc would be ineligible.

At a rough guess, and just my opinion, a Manly juniors best ever side (since 1947) would look something like:

And the local junior coaches would be Frank Stanton and Ken Arthurson.
Sorry old son, however:

Bob Batty was an import from Murwillumbah;

Bill Hamilton was an import from the Hunter; and

Technically Rex wasn’t a local junior. He never played league whilst growing up in Manly.

I am biased V8 ... but I would have old mate Ray Ritchie on the wing ahead of Hancock ... Ray was a NSW and an Australian rep player ...

Hank was also a NSW City Origin and State of Origin rep. However, to put that into perspective, as good as he was at Manly, would he have gotten those jumpers if the Super League war hadn't happened? Other than Rod Wishart who got the other Origin wing spot there would have also been players like Brett Mullins (whichever of he and Tim Brasher didn't get fullback would have been on the wing) and Andrew Ettingshausen who at that time in 1995 was still the test winger from the Kangaroo Tour (though more likely to play centre for City and NSW). When those players were being picked, which would likely have happened if the war hadn't started, players like Hancock usually didn't get much of a look in.

Last edited:
Sorry old son, however:

Bob Batty was an import from Murwillumbah;

Bill Hamilton was an import from the Hunter; and

Technically Rex wasn’t a local junior. He never played league whilst growing up in Manly.

That being the case I'd move Hancock to fullback and put Ray Ritchie on to the wing. The others I'd have to think about.

Watching Siebold's press conferences has convinced me that I am a Schadenfreude sufferer ...
Seems to me after watching the game the players output was alot better playing under Glenn persei even if it was against the bulldogs.. Not a good look for siebold.. wonder if they don't believe in his approaches and gameplans

Seibold has some thinking to do, if there is any relationship issues with senior club officials he may well be considering a redundancy package by his press conference.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4