Another problem

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
Manly may well beat NZ and if not, win the following week....than all the threads of "see Des was right", will flow from far and wide.
This will only mask the situation till another Sharks, Illawarra or Penrith performance and this will all come up again ....does anyone else see this viscous circle that really does little in improving Manly to the level needed to compete with the best long term ??

Manly may well beat NZ and if not, win the following week....than all the threads of "see Des was right", will flow from far and wide.
This will only mask the situation till another Sharks, Illawarra or Penrith performance and this will all come up again ....does anyone else see this viscous circle that really does little in improving Manly to the level needed to compete with the best long term ??
Yep very true. There's no consistency with this group. Pointless putting in efforts like the games vs Easts, Parra or Raiders then throw up the crap against average teams and then the zero effort last night. Major problems in this roster. I fear we have several more years of pain until a decent development pathway can be established. The BWSE has been a failure. The lack of success there has led to the average efforts of the Barrett and now Des years.

Our structured style of play suits us when playing teams that try to take us on in an arm wrestle.
Others that let their backline fire are simply too quick for us, and then there are the clubs that simply kick to our left wing and out jump us.
We've put up some gutsy performances, but teams with good backs know how to beat us; Illawarra and now the 'Riff proved it conclusively.

We have put in some resilient performances and our resilience has got us there and whilst the passion remains anything is possible . If Cust can continue with his great form and stabilize our spine and Tom gets back fitter and better than ever then we can only improve as team

Yep very true. There's no consistency with this group. Pointless putting in efforts like the games vs Easts, Parra or Raiders then throw up the crap against average teams and then the zero effort last night. Major problems in this roster. I fear we have several more years of pain until a decent development pathway can be established. The BWSE has been a failure. The lack of success there has led to the average efforts of the Barrett and now Des years.
I agree we are not consistent enough yet. Remember in the glory years with Des and his first stint we would blow teams of the park and sometimes with big scores.

i truly believe certain decisions made by certain management figures over the last few years has set us back more than people are willing to admit. Unless things change dramatically we won’t be a serious contender for a number of seasons to come.

maybe 2022-2023 if we recruit right.

Last edited:
We struggle because we are without 3 of our key spine players. We have Levi getting better each week and now cust will be back which is great. Elliot is doing a decent job but surely there is someone better... how can he be the only back up in a squad of 30. Metcalf is small but he would at least offer some help in attack.
What positions does Schuster play?

We have put in some resilient performances and our resilience has got us there and whilst the passion remains anything is possible . If Cust can continue with his great form and stabilize our spine and Tom gets back fitter and better than ever then we can only improve as team
For another three games before the next injury...

We struggle because we are without 3 of our key spine players. We have Levi getting better each week and now cust will be back which is great. Elliot is doing a decent job but surely there is someone better... how can he be the only back up in a squad of 30. Metcalf is small but he would at least offer some help in attack.
He may excite with some pace in open broken play, but we would all be moaning once teams work him out and he ends up getting rag-dolled like our current light weights

Like Papenhuyzen does? I see Metcalf as similar. Does speed outweigh the possibility of being rag-dolled? Papenhuyzen's obviously does, maybe Metcalfe's will too...he's just as fast.
I think it depends on a few factors...
1. The individual's ability to run elusive lines that are difficult to pick up and/or predict early by the oncoming defenders. There is significant difference in the way a player like Ponga moves across the ground and approaches encroaching defensive lines and somebody like Garrick.
2. The way players move into contact and manoeuvre their bodies to greatest advantage (for e.g. keeping your body upright as you are hit as opposed to keeping centre of gravity low, squeezing through the line and hitting the belly immediately.
3. How defenders are trained to be aware and target such nuances in the back 3 they are playing.

I think it depends on a few factors...
1. The individual's ability to run elusive lines that are difficult to pick up and/or predict early by the oncoming defenders. There is significant difference in the way a player like Ponga moves across the ground and approaches encroaching defensive lines and somebody like Garrick.
2. The way players move into contact and manoeuvre their bodies to greatest advantage (for e.g. keeping your body upright as you are hit as opposed to keeping centre of gravity low, squeezing through the line and hitting the belly immediately.
3. How defenders are trained to be aware and target such nuances in the back 3 they are playing.
Fair enough, there are several other factors as well that I won't mention to save being too long-winded.
Every team is aware of Pap's abilities and coaches plan and school their players on how how to nullify his speed and evasiveness.
Despite these attempts he continues to score long-range tries as he did again today, as do the other true speedsters in the NRL, weekly.

So it is totally possible, and even probable, that another player, such as Metcalfe, possessing such speed would cause opponents similar problems?

A simple yes or no will suffice this time buddy.

Schuster is a 5/8 with Top shelf ball dkills, but very handy backrower also, the ONLY reason I could "guess" why Des doe not have him playing, is he must be getting groomed as a backrower and wants more size....but by the same token, there are smaller, yet more experienced backrowers in the NRL today

Like Papenhuyzen does? I see Metcalf as similar. Does speed outweigh the possibility of being rag-dolled? Papenhuyzen's obviously does, maybe Metcalfe's will too...he's just as fast.
Metcalfe is more solid than Pappenhausen.Hes no midget. Our blokes get manhandled because they jog back and slow down/ decelerate at impact.

Your force into the line is a combination of mass and acceleration, not just mass.

Newton’s second law of motion folks. F= MA( mass x acceleration)
Not just speed ( which is great ) but also acceleration into a collision.

We operate on F = MAnhandled

Last edited:
Fair enough, there are several other factors as well that I won't mention to save being too long-winded.
Every team is aware of Pap's abilities and coaches plan and school their players on how how to nullify his speed and evasiveness.
Despite these attempts he continues to score long-range tries as he did again today, as do the other true speedsters in the NRL, weekly.

So it is totally possible, and even probable, that another player, such as Metcalfe, possessing such speed would cause opponents similar problems?

A simple yes or no will suffice this time buddy.
Yes no ;)

Schuster is a 5/8 with Top shelf ball dkills, but very handy backrower also, the ONLY reason I could "guess" why Des doe not have him playing, is he must be getting groomed as a backrower and wants more size....but by the same token, there are smaller, yet more experienced backrowers in the NRL today

Someone on this site indicated that Schuster was training as a centre. Personally I think he would be wasted in the forwards where he'll have to do a damned lot of grunt work, and sticking to the centre of the field, thereby diminishing his effectiveness. I can understand putting him at centre for a time. Lyons played centre for Norths before moving to Manly. But in the end the kid is a natural at 5/8 and I suspect that's where he'll eventually end up.

Someone on this site indicated that Schuster was training as a centre. Personally I think he would be wasted in the forwards where he'll have to do a damned lot of grunt work, and sticking to the centre of the field, thereby diminishing his effectiveness. I can understand putting him at centre for a time. Lyons played centre for Norths before moving to Manly. But in the end the kid is a natural at 5/8 and I suspect that's where he'll eventually end up.
He has been training at left centre from what I have seen, agree I don’t think the middle is his game just yet.

Though from the teams doing really well with the new rules those teams using more mobile locks are doing well, compared to the teams with the lock still like a prop in the middle.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4