Another factor to consider

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

susan

Bencher
One thing lost in this debate and something that I have thought would effect us anyway,regardless of this mess, is the fact that a lot of these players we are questioning have already won one or two GFs.I am no psychologist but the desire factor,combined with frequent injury etc,must effect the team as a whole. Is a 3rd title a must have for these blokes. My answer is no.That is not bagging them, it is just a fact.The desire factor has to decrease.

The introduction of young new blood craving for a title combined with hopefully a rejuvenated DCE and Foran holds more promise than old warriors trying to hang on with no real urge to win the grand prize.

The club has a chance to show some authority right now while still respecting the achievements of these guys.If they want to go let them go.

susan said:
One thing lost in this debate and something that I have thought would effect us anyway,regardless of this mess, is the fact that a lot of these players we are questioning have already won one or two GFs.I am no psychologist but the desire factor,combined with frequent injury etc,must effect the team as a whole. Is a 3rd title a must have for these blokes. My answer is no.That is not bagging them, it is just a fact.The desire factor has to decrease.

The introduction of young new blood craving for a title combined with hopefully a rejuvenated DCE and Foran holds more promise than old warriors trying to hang on with no real urge to win the grand prize.

The club has a chance to show some authority right now while still respecting the achievements of these guys.If they want to go let them go.

I disagree with that one Susan.

How many players can say they have won one premiership let alone 3?
Winning 3 premierships would and should be a great motivator.

Don't all these players say that a premiership is the greatest achievement? To win with your mates, to be the best team of the year?

If it doesn't motivate them or be what they yearn for(whether it be 1,3 or 5) why are they playing?

As I said, Foran and Watmough both claimed in a cafe they were going to The Eels, and B Stewart The Titans. They were doing so openly, with little regard for the repercussions.

I hope it's not true for all of them. I hope they all remain at Manly.

How come when Hoffman signed with The Warriors, when Melbourne couldn't match his offer, didn't all their players have a hissy fit, and go bananas publicly? Professionalism is why. How come when Dallas Johnson had to go to the Cowboys didn't they all talk of a revolt? Professionalism. What about that lynch pin in Greg Inglis to The Rabbitoh's? Guess what, they got on with business.

Choc, Foran and the boys need to understand long term strategy, and a salary cap restricts what every club can do.

Your all legends fella's. Get back to loving the fans and the club that loves you. We need you, and you can continue a legacy of strength, ability and performance.

I hope we smash The Rabbit's, so we can discuss footy, rather than this BS. I'm excited that we came 2nd, and have two shots. I also think we can beat Souths.

Hey, worst case, is we have plenty of cash available to sign new players going forward. Of all those players displaced (like Choc is claiming Cherry is doing) at Parramatta to afford him, you don't think there will be a great number pissed off with him, just like he is with others?

I think back to back is the last Great Everest in the modern day NRL. We've missed two opportunities for that this decade. Perhaps that is what is driving the Rorters this year.

The subconscious desire must wane just a little once you win a title, that's human nature. There has to be something else to give that little edge required.

Ryan said:
Of all those players displaced (like Choc is claiming Cherry is doing) at Parramatta to afford him, you don't think there will be a great number pissed off with him, just like he is with others?

I wonder if he feels guilty for forcing Fui Fui out?

Its certainly a factor.
Tell you what, all this garbage going on of late and the latest today, it will be a real test of Toov's coaching ability. If he can get the boys focused on the job at hand and keep this garbage out of their heads enough for us to win a few more games, he will be coach of the year. O yeah, dealing with a few injuries to crucial players too - Tooves, any time you want to run that master stroke is fine by us

Tooves has dealt with similar garbage ever since he became head coach - Desgate, the alleged stealing of most of our players, board shenanigans and feuds, and now senior player disharmony.
He's kept the team going forward the whole time, won't be any different now.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
Tooves has dealt with similar garbage ever since he became head coach - Desgate, the alleged stealing of most of our players, board shenanigans and feuds, and now senior player disharmony.

Good point SER8. You need skin like a Rhino to hold any role at our club. He must be made of sterner stuff.

I disagree with you Susan

3>>2>>1

Legend status (and worth) grows exponentially with grand finals won.

You would think the players would have every motivation given they are just 3 games away from that ultimate glory.

Why else would they be playing?

Build around Gutherson, Hiku, Tafua, Foran, DCE, Lawrence - great start. Squeeze whatever more we can out of Stewart, Lyon, Matai, Watmough, Ballin. Realistically after this year, we will have to re-build the forwards quality & depth and challenge again in 2-3 years, depending on how many leave at the end of this year.

Watmough presence appears to be divisive. Teams can't work with that. He should go.

I can't think of one comparable instance where a number of players in a team have spat the dummy because one of their ageing, injury prone team mates wasn't offered a contract. And why is Foran apparently buying into it?

NYEagle said:
I disagree with you Susan

3>>2>>1

Legend status (and worth) grows exponentially with grand finals won.

You would think the players would have every motivation given they are just 3 games away from that ultimate glory.

Why else would they be playing?

Let me hazard a guess...have achieved everything the game can offer.....maybe money? And that is not a criticism just a fact of life

Crusher_Cleal said:
Build around Gutherson, Hiku, Tafua, Foran, DCE, Lawrence - great start. Squeeze whatever more we can out of Stewart, Lyon, Matai, Watmough, Ballin. Realistically after this year, we will have to re-build the forwards quality & depth and challenge again in 2-3 years, depending on how many leave at the end of this year.

The turbos too. Pity jake is injured. He'd be firmly in 1sts by now.

To back up Susans point, we came second and only on for and against this year and given the threads since the season proper was over you could accurately say many think that is below par.

Surely that is the exact same principle that the players need to overcome. Very few here are excited that we have managed to finish in the top 2 and have a couple of chances to go a long way in the finals. This is what some of the players must be thinking as well.

I remember the first time I was firing a machine gun or blowing things up with a rocket, that was awesome. These days sure its ok but no where near as exciting.

Another factor to consider.

When manly released Arthur's from his assistants role with a year to go to take the head job with parra, manly did so with good grace. But they should've had a proviso written into the release saying no poaching of players, watmough I don't begrudge, but he is going hard after foran, and something is definitely up with fozzy lately.

ManlyBacker said:
SeaEagleRock8 said:

Good point SER8. You need skin like a Rhino to hold any role at our club. He must be made of sterner stuff.
We just need to remember him on the field. There is none tougher.

There is also none tougher than Manly, as a club, as a whole, not it's parts.

We also have a fantastic cool, calm killer for captain. Always the competitor but such a top bloke . So many of the other NRL captains lack the wonderful qualities that Jamie exudes.

He will lead by example and help Tooves get the team through this crisis.

No amount of money the Titans were going to throw at him would lure him away.

Love you Jamie , the Greatest Captain in the NRL.

xavier said:
Watmough presence appears to be divisive. Teams can't work with that. He should go.

I can't think of one comparable instance where a number of players in a team have spat the dummy because one of their ageing, injury prone team mates wasn't offered a contract. And why is Foran apparently buying into it?

Agree he definitely seems divisive. Blaming Daly for Glenn being let go was just so unfair. Don't get it about Foz buying into it either.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4