Andrew Walker - Weekend Article

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Canteen Worker

First Grader
Did anyone else see the weekend article on Andrew Walker, basically taking the line that League has just dumped him and hung him out to dry etc etc It was very sympathetic to Walker and yet it made me sick!!!

The reason that Walker ended up how he has is related to his own MANY misdemeanours and lack of self control, despite his wonderful talent. He was given so many chances and yet let his fans, clubs, sponsors, family and self down. Whilst it is disappointing that he is not playing footy it is RUBBISH journalism to suggest that League, Rugby or anyone else has let him down. He did it all by himself and painting some noble picture of him being deserted by the code and left friendless is far from the truth. :lie: :lie: :lie:

A very sad story, almost Greek-like tragedy, but I agree CW as the sentiments in the article if correctly attributed to Walker are just complete rubbish. If I had any sympathy it was really tested reading that stuff.

A two year ban by the code for a non-performance enhancing drug? Give me a break.

Can understand individual employers not being willing to risk it, but for the CODE to ban him in Australia AND overseas, and for him to be similaly banned from Union is ludicrous,

Different issue if it was performance enhancing.

Fair comment Rex but the sport does havea code of conduct. Very sad for both Manly (he had a lot to offer) and his family but he has only one person to blame and it wasn't as if he was not given many chances.

So this should also apply to the police, ambulance crews, surgeons, electricians, crane drivers etc etc ?

Players run at breakneck speed and decisions are made in an instant that could impact other player's future careers. For this reason certain drugs are outlawed and I agree with it.

Ironically in the current climate the use of non-performance enhancing drugs is banned as it impacts on the reputation of the game and breaks the code of conduct that players sign. Sponsor would be impacted if players were allowed to use scot free. That is why alchohol related matters (legal drug) are such big news and anathema to the code and its social standing in the commmunity.

Who said anything about scot free? I'm taking about balance and perspective in sanctions, and a fair go and a helping hand to someone in trouble who has provided plenty of positives to both sports.

If you tested as having used cocaine whilst a Canteen Worker would that mean that you couldn't be a Canteen Worker for that company, or any for other company in the city or state or overseas for two years??? And you couldn't take any other paying job in a similar profession that used your Canteen Worker skills for two years??

If you want to make this an argument about blame, then there's nothing to discuss. Did he stuff up? Yes. Is it a fair, balanced response? No.

Ironically in the current climate the use of non-performance enhancing drugs is banned as it impacts on the reputation of the game and breaks the code of conduct that players sign. Sponsor would be impacted if players were allowed to use scot free. That is why alchohol related matters (legal drug) are such big news and anathema to the code and its social standing in the commmunity.

Who said anything about scot free? I'm taking about balance and perspective in sanctions, and a fair go and a helping hand to someone in trouble who has provided plenty of positives to both sports.

If you tested as having used cocaine whilst a Canteen Worker would that mean that you couldn't be a Canteen Worker for that company, or any for other company in the city or state or overseas for two years??? And you couldn't take any other paying job in a similar profession that used your Canteen Worker skills for two years??

If you want to make this an argument about blame, then there's nothing to discuss. Did he stuff up? Yes. Is it a fair, balanced response? No.

[quote author=Canteen Worker]

[/quote]

I agree with you Rexx.....what make it even worse is that a few have been caught and been handed a wrap over the knuckles for it....it reeks of hypocracy.....or maybe the other players caught were more important to the NRL....

Yes it is a dangerous thing to do but get with the program- you don't think there aren't alot of others doing it as well- just have a look at whats going on in the AFL they have there own testing and alot of players have come up positive...why do you think their players association got so worried when a journo was going to out them- civil liberties my arse, if they had nothing to hide they had nothing to worry about.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4