[Resurrected] Andrew Davey

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
To: Andrew "Sea Eagle" Davey, I wish you a successful recovery ... we know it won't be a speedy one ... but you have already made a huge impact with your positivity and hard work ethos .... I was so happy when we signed you from the slime, not only because I think you are a great player but your attitude is exactly what our club needs, to show our young players, especially the tiny brained gangsters, how a real man operates

People who wrote me off don't know me very well: Davey

Manly back-rower Andrew Davey was already an unlikely success story when he made his NRL debut at the age of 28 for the Eels – but his latest comeback from a knee reconstruction at age 30 is truly remarkable.

Davey was recruited by the slime from the Intrust Super Cup and played 10 games for the slime in 2020 after earning player of the year honours for feeder club Wentworthville in 2019 before signing on with Manly.

He came off the bench in round one last year and earned a starting spot in round two but ruptured his ACL just minutes into his first run-on start for the club.

His age, injury and the emergence of young back-row tyros Josh Schuster and Haumole Olakau'atu had more than a few pundits penning his rugby league obituary.

"They must have forgotten who they were talking about," Davey grinned to NRL.com after his first run-on start since the injury, in round three's 13-12 win over Canterbury.

"This is the same bloke who debuted at the age of 28, that was never going to be the end of me mate. I live for that hard work and nothing changed. I dedicated myself to my rehab."

People who wrote me off don't know me very well: Davey

Manly back-rower Andrew Davey was already an unlikely success story when he made his NRL debut at the age of 28 for the Eels – but his latest comeback from a knee reconstruction at age 30 is truly remarkable.

Davey was recruited by the slime from the Intrust Super Cup and played 10 games for the slime in 2020 after earning player of the year honours for feeder club Wentworthville in 2019 before signing on with Manly.

He came off the bench in round one last year and earned a starting spot in round two but ruptured his ACL just minutes into his first run-on start for the club.

His age, injury and the emergence of young back-row tyros Josh Schuster and Haumole Olakau'atu had more than a few pundits penning his rugby league obituary.

"They must have forgotten who they were talking about," Davey grinned to NRL.com after his first run-on start since the injury, in round three's 13-12 win over Canterbury.

"This is the same bloke who debuted at the age of 28, that was never going to be the end of me mate. I live for that hard work and nothing changed. I dedicated myself to my rehab."
Love his attitude, it’s what we need in our pack

He is a must. He and oku, and time , will be very handy and id presume quite economical . Even with kelemi signed i hope we extend him.

He could really put des in a hard spot with kelemi coming next season if his form warrants another contract and i reckon it will

We have lacked this style of player. Its willow with better stuff,mainly size and grunt ,

Noticed Davey "s deft kick ahead in a difficult situation against the Dogs , shouldn "t have been necessary but shows that he has some good footy instincts as well . No doubt still finding his way after a long lay off , like Bullemor "s potential but Davey probably the best fit in the 2 nd row with Olokau - atu at present . Shu has to be accommodated soon and overlooked some previous suggestions , including mine that Shu should be given a go at 13 , and Jake to prop but not in the short term with Walker going well as a sub loose forward . Maybe next season . Kelemi on the Manly scene next season so different options also to take into account and can Foz go another year . Anyway for now , preference for Davey being on one edge .

He is a must. He and oku, and time , will be very handy and id presume quite economical . Even with kelemi signed i hope we extend him.

He could really put des in a hard spot with kelemi coming next season if his form warrants another contract and i reckon it will

We have lacked this style of player. Its willow with better stuff,mainly size and grunt ,
Agreed we need a meat and potatoes - no thrills - no flashiness hard worker who does his job every minute of every game. We have enough big splash players and players that don't give their all and are not defensively mobile and keen to ensure they do lots of tackles and mop up inside ie .... all of our props so we need another Jake type clone to help do all the little unnoticed things. He is no Jake but he is that type of player - hope he has a huge game on the weekend and think he will. Injury free I think he will be in our top 5 players week in and week out. Just a dependable all effort guy.

We have had those players in the past and they were the never-ending butt of criticism. Jason King, Luke Williamson anyone? They weren’t running 150-200m or scoring a try every game, so they were obviously rubbish.;)

We have players like that now, some are in the backline, like Brad Parker (in particular) and Kieran Foran come to mind.

We have had those players in the past and they were the never-ending butt of criticism. Jason King, Luke Williamson anyone? They weren’t running 150-200m or scoring a try every game, so they were obviously rubbish.;)

We have players like that now, some are in the backline, like Brad Parker (in particular) and Kieran Foran come to mind.
For and Parker are great players and they're never gonna get the credit they deserve. Parker in particular, while he isnt the most brilliant player in attack, he's rock solid in defence, rarely if ever makes errors and puts 100% in every game

My only worry is… Schuster needs to play 80, and we all know Des won’t drop Foran or DCE.
I reckon Schuster starts each game in the second row then Foran comes off after 60 minutes, Schuster moves to 5/8th & Lawton or Bullemor come on to fill his second row spot.

As the season progresses, Des spells Foran earlier each game until he only plays the first half & Schuster plays second row the first half & 5/8th for the second half.

That would be a steady & cautious way of moving Schuster to 5/8th fulltime for 2023 that would probably appeal to Des but I guess it all depends on whether or not Foran gets extended?

For and Parker are great players and they're never gonna get the credit they deserve. Parker in particular, while he isnt the most brilliant player in attack, he's rock solid in defence, rarely if ever makes errors and puts 100% in every game
Yeah, Parker seems to get the redheaded stepchild treatment from a lot of people, unfortunately.

I reckon Schuster starts each game in the second row then Foran comes off after 60 minutes, Schuster moves to 5/8th & Lawton or Bullemor come on to fill his second row spot.

As the season progresses, Des spells Foran earlier each game until he only plays the first half & Schuster plays second row the first half & 5/8th for the second half.

That would be a steady & cautious way of moving Schuster to 5/8th fulltime for 2023 that would probably appeal to Des but I guess it all depends on whether or not Foran gets extended?

Are you serious?
Play Schuster for 60 minutes in the forwards so he is completely knackered, then expect him to star at 5/8th for the last 20?

Is that you Twent? ;)

Are you serious?
Play Schuster for 60 minutes in the forwards so he is completely knackered, then expect him to star at 5/8th for the last 20?

Is that you Twent?
Schuster was capably playing 80 minutes at second row last year & played 5/8th when Foran was injured with his broken hand.

We're missing Schuster's extra dimension at second row on that left side with him out injured so I can't see why 60 mins at 2nd row & 20 at 5/8 gradually increasing to 40 at 2nd row & 40 at 5/8th before becoming fulltime 5/8th next year is out of the question?

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4