An Update from the Club - finally

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Wheel

https://membership.seaeagles.com.au/
Premium Member
SEA EAGLES BACK IN FULL TRAINING
9/01/2006
By Zorba

The Manly Sea Eagles resumed summer training under coach Des Hasler at the Sydney Academy of Sport on Thursday January 5.

The only player missing from the post Xmas session was Test lock Ben Kennedy who has been given extra time off following his return from the recent Tri Nations tour to England and France.

The Sea Eagles looked especially sharp at training with newcomers Steve Bell and Matt Orford showing the way. Both former Storm stars are delighted with the off season training program at their new club.

"It's got a lot of variety and different to what we did at the Storm - the facilities and support staff for training sessions is the big difference," Orford said.

"Using the Sydney Academy of Sport at Narrabeen for our training headquarters is ideal for a football side and we have to ensure we make the most of it.

"A change of clubs has given me new goals and I can't wait to get started," Orford said.

Other newcomers to the club who have impressed at training including young ex Bulldog forward Jason Wells, ex Canberra winger Michael Robertson and giant Kiwi forward Sione Finefeuiaki.

Last season's Premier League halfback Travis Burns is also impressing coach Hasler. Burns has put on seven kgs of muscle and is eager for a chance to have a crack at the five eighth spot.

The youngster has loads of ability and has shown promising signs of maturing as a player in his 12 months at the club.

Congratulations to Steve Bell and his wife Tracey on the birth of their baby daughter last week.

Both mum and baby are doing fine after the birth in the Mater Hospital at Crows Nest. Proud grandparents were down from Queensland for the birth.

Manly players will help the Manly Leagues Club promote its new Monday night poker tournaments commencing next Monday, January 9 in the club's Peninsula Room.

Steve Menzies, Chris Hicks, Jason King, Brett and Glenn Stewart and Anthony Watmough are keen players and will try their luck at the fun tournament. It costs nothing to play and you can't lose anything. Winners accumulate points to qualify for the Australian Poker League tournament finals in Melbourne where the winner will win big.

So you may not be able to beat Beaver and Hicksy at footy but you can take them on in poker starting next Monday night.

Registration is at 6.30pm for 7.30pm

Texas Hold Em Poker is taking the world by storm with several clubs in Sydney now holding tournaments.

Trial dates to remember:
Saturday, February 18 MANLY SEA EAGLES V SYDNEY ROOSTERS at Gosford.

Saturday, February 25 MANLY SEA EAGLES V WESTS TIGERS at Brookvale Oval (all grades).

The trial game against the premiers at Brookvale will be a gala day and the first time in many years the Sea Eagles have played their final official trial at home.

The junior representative teams from Matthew Shield, SG Ball will start the day followed by Jersey Flegg, Premier League and then NRL.

It will be the final trial for the NRL squad before the start of the premiership against Canberra under lights on Saturday, March 11 at 7.30 p.m.

A feature of the gala day will be the first appearance of the Sea Eagles new catering group - the aptly named Fit For A King. Fit For A King have signed a long term contract with the Sea Eagles and will bring an exciting new look to catering at sporting events.

Former English and Sea Eagles star forward Phil Lowe is holidaying in Australia and is keen to return for the 30 year SCG celebration grand final replay clash with Parramatta on April 30 (round 11).

Lowe scored a memorable try in the grand final and wants to meet up with his former team mates and opposition who will be special guests at the match.

Manly's appearance at the SCG will be the club's first since winning the last grand final played at the ground - against Canberra in 1987.

Steve Menzies will sport an army style short back and sides for the start of what may be his final season in the mighty maroon and white.

Beaver isn't thinking too far ahead and just wants to enjoy the 2006 season before he decides his immediate future.

He is faced with three options - another season with Manly, a season or two in the English Super League or ....heaven forbid, retirement. The last option is the least likely with Menzies admitting he couldn't face life without football.

Menzies started his great career in first grade way back in 1993 with the Sea Eagles and has been a one club player.

The greatest try scoring forward in the history of the game (155),Menzies needs just 11 games to reach his 300th first grade game for the club. Only Cliffy Lyons has passed that milestone at Manly.

If the Beaver can sidestep injury he is likely to play his 300th game at Brookvale Oval against the Melbourne Storm.

Manly will be well off for halfbacks for many years to come.

Matt Orford's arrival at Manly seals the spot for his four year term but he will have great back up support from Michael Monaghan, Michael Witt and boom youngster Travis Burns if needed.

The Jersey Flag have a future star in livewire halfback Adam Groom.

Groom is working on the Sea Eagles development staff and is in full training with the NRL squad. He has relished the opportunity and is looking fantastic on the summer training program. Mark him down as a player of the future.

The media are keen to keep having uninformed picks at who will captain the Sea Eagles in the 2006 premiership campaign. But the decision rests solely with coach Des Hasler and he isn't considering making an announcement for some time yet.

"It will be done before the start of the premiership - I'm in no hurry and we have other priorities at the moment, "Hasler said.

Suggestions that Steve Bell will skipper the Sea Eagles in his first season with the club surprised Hasler.

"Belly has enough on his mind at the moment with a new club and a new baby daughter - I'll be happy for him just to play like the class centre he is without loading him up with the responsibility of the captaincy," Hasler said.

Good write up. Agree Wheel - long time coming. It really annoys me when people can't get names right though - Its AARON not Adam!!

Yeah it is pretty poor, especially when it comes direct from the club - but not the first time.

It looks as though they are giving Travis a pretty good run at becoming the 5/8 - I reckon he will be first choice come Round 1.

Suggestions that Steve Bell will skipper the Sea Eagles in his first season with the club surprised Hasler.

"Belly has enough on his mind at the moment with a new club and a new baby daughter - I'll be happy for him just to play like the class centre he is without loading him up with the responsibility of the captaincy," Hasler said

Translation "what a stupid idea" ;)

wow did you comprehend something byso........

And I hear you for an official media release, get the kids name right, but he will be a star of the future, the times i have seen him play, I have been very very genuinely impressed

Yeah it is pretty poor, especially when it comes direct from the club - but not the first time.

It looks as though they are giving Travis a pretty good run at becoming the 5/8 - I reckon he will be first choice come Round 1.

Mate dont let ryan here you say that - Witt has the spot sealed up.

I really hope burns gets it - he has loads more talent than witt in attack and defence and can kick goals almost as good.

Adam Groom - never heard of him - but his twin brother who also plays for the club is an excellent prospect - glad they are admitting it publically as there is less chance they will let him go. IN 4 years time when orfords contract is up he will be 21 - perfect timing

about time that they gave the fans some news and didnt rely on the Manly Daily, actually a good write up, this needs to be done at least once a fortnight

it sounds promising that Beaver may go around 1 more time , maybe BK might too

LOL the food caterers Fit for a (jason) KING

Good to hear that Sione is training well. I really hope that he becomes a great impact player for us off the bench because our bench players over the past few years have not made a lot of impression when they come on.

Hopefully he can do for us what Fui is doing for Parra (except stay on the field on don't do any head high tackles).

THE GOOD NEWS : All the news of late has been good. Sounds like Orford and Bell are both fitting in well and very pleased with new surroundings and teammates. Fantastic to hear that Wells Burns & Alphabet are impressing. Im with Tookey in that im pleased Sione is a prospect. Ive been more concerned about our forwards than anything else so this is great news.

THE STRANGE NEWS : Seems pretty wierd with the news about the clubs Poker contests and all you ST regulars arnt out there spruiking your involvement. Thought youd all be in it like Flyn ????

NEWS INCREDULOUS : Cant believe Mata (& the rest of you lot for that matter) havnt taken this piss out of the news piece announcing the new caterers being "FIT for a KING

:lol2:

There is a lot more to be ashamed about with that news article.

I cant believe how many of you have fallen for the obvious psychology that has been thrown in there and not mentioned it.

Has anyone else noticed that all the NEW players are impressing......hhhmmmmm lets try and get the fans to adore them and expect big things, as that sounds like a good idea and isnt setting anyone up for a fall is it?

I cant believe how many of you have fallen for the obvious psychology that has been thrown in there and not mentioned it.

I guess we are not as "wise" as you :stupid:

ummm who said he was crap Fluffy. I am just saying they are using pop psychology n us and everyone is swallowing it. Of course Robertson and alphabet are impressing, does that mean they are going to be good,? NO it means we will all lose faith again later in the year if they dnt impress then!

The article doesn't mention that george Rose is training the house down?

Not sure if this is a good or bad thing.

I ahve a feeling Big George would not be too fond of pre season training

I don't think that he would be too happy with the Palm beach sandhills. I would say that his Xmas lunch is spread form the top to the bottom of the sandhills.

There is a lot more to be ashamed about with that news article.

Has anyone else noticed that all the NEW players are impressing......hhhmmmmm lets try and get the fans to adore them and expect big things, as that sounds like a good idea and isnt setting anyone up for a fall is it?

I can't believe how you could even go there!! First bit of news out of the club and you are bagging it! Everyone has been speculating on how the new guys are going and finally we are told something and it's still not good enough. Do you really think they are going to come out with ... They are all training ****, so and so is hopeless, someone else is too slow and is putting on weight, there's a huge rift between players....etc. That would be a real smart way to encourage more supporters to the club.

Sorry ... just can't believe you said that.

no i dont expect them to say tt, i dont expect to have my intelligence insulted by them at every turn!

The news was hardly thirst quenching

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4