An end to upgrade grants could force issue on stadiums stalemate

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Aside from Friday night, when is it really a problem to get to Allianz Stadium?

Saturday night and Sunday afternoon all pretty straight forward and easy to deal with a 15 - 20,000 crowd? Bigger games, more people, but that'd be great.

tookey said:
At least we will have Tony Abbott's $20m when he wins the next Federal election.

I wouldn't believe a word that's come from any politician, he talks about the spending cuts he'll introduce. I'd say it would look hypocritical if he spent 20mil in his own electorate.

bones said:
AshfieldBazza said:
This is very bad news for Manly, did you think Manly fans will consistently travel down to the SFS ( and i mean more than 10,000 ) for games.

Its pretty weak if they don't. I have been doing the opposite (Randwick to Brookie) for a long time now and I know a lot of Manly fans who travel much further (some from Campbelltown and even Mudgee) to get to Brookie every second week and you never hear them complain about the distance. They just love watching Manly play. If you love your team you will do it. IMO, anyone who doesn't go out of protest does not have the clubs best interests at heart. We mightn't like it but it's the way of the future. If you want your team to survive, follow them if you can, no matter where they play. I know it's a touchy subject because we all love Brookie, but I would hope the people who say they wouldn't go would change their minds if it happened. I know some of these people and they are manly tragics who I know love the club.

There are a lot of Sydney and country supporters who also find getting to Brookie difficult. Problems of transport are not just ones for the locals.Manly support is much more diverse than from the immediate Brookvale vicinity, and for some, and a change of venue could bring a new and wider geographic group of supporters with it over time.

For all the extra ones you gain from been easier to get too than Brookvale would they make up for the lost fans from the northern beaches who aren't willing to travel to Moore Park? Sure their are Manly fans in all parts of Sydney but not as many from those areas who are wanting to go to games as Northern beaches fans who go to games. You will always get people who travel a long way all the time to every game but the number of those would quite small.

We could only attract 13000 for the 1st round finals game last year, what chance do we have of attracting big crowds to SFS for the Cowboys or Titans mid season? Bigger crowd for next game v Broncos which was great but that was a preliminary final. What crowd would you get on a Monday night against Panthers or Raiders?

This move would be great for me personally as Moore park is alot closer than Brookvale for me living in Ashfield but i don't think good for the club

I saw this coming.

Certain posters at the beginning of the year thought it was great that the tigers were going to lock out opposition fans from leichart oval, I noted that we didn't need any more push behind the idea that we shouldn't be using suburban grounds.

If you think about it from a government perspective there are a number of reasons this makes sense.

1. Easier to manage public transport / security / traffic
2. Cheaper to maintain/improve 2 venues, rather then 8 or 9.
3. Allows government to sell off other not-needed assets.
4. Easy to use the justification that it worked in AFL.
5. Popular with non-sports fans.

Unfortunately with the increasing membership numbers which we will see year on year with the new push for members from clubs and the ARLC we will see clubs move more and more games to big venues, as this happens it will become less and less viable to support venues for only a few games a year.

I think the only way we are going to get an improved brookvale long term is to get other major teams playing there. Anyone got the money to start an A-League club?

swoop said:
tookey said:
At least we will have Tony Abbott's $20m when he wins the next Federal election.

I wouldn't believe a word that's come from any politician, he talks about the spending cuts he'll introduce. I'd say it would look hypocritical if he spent 20mil in his own electorate.
It would not be hypocritical it would be only fair as all the other grounds were looked after over the years apart from ours .Tony would be giving us a FAIR GO .

BOZO said:
swoop said:
tookey said:

It would not be hypocritical it would be only fair as all the other grounds were looked after over the years apart from ours .Tony would be giving us a FAIR GO .

Indeed, just look how many millions were ploughed into the white elephant of a stadium at Campbelltown & the Tigers barely play there.

If Brookie gets some funding it would make the ground more attractive for the likes of Sydney FC to play the occasional game there. Especially now the West will be a no go zone for them with the new West Sydney team coming into the A league.

I love the buses stuff!! We can't even fill one for some club games and it gets cancelled lol. Bring on Moore park Allianz! Beautiful footy stadium that holds 40k. Semis when we had 30 odd k were great. And the sooks who won't travel, well watch it on Fox because it obviously ain't a priority. More money and security for the club.

Darren said:
I love the buses stuff!! We can't even fill one for some club games and it gets cancelled lol. Bring on Moore park Allianz! Beautiful footy stadium that holds 40k. Semis when we had 30 odd k were great. And the sooks who won't travel, well watch it on Fox because it obviously ain't a priority. More money and security for the club.

Fark you're full of **** Darren.

30 odd k?????? It was 13 odd k.
The crowds for regular games would be much lower.
This means less money and less security about the future. We go from being the NRL's representatives in northern sydney to being just another small club on the south side of the harbour. We'd end up irrelevant and swallowed up by easts.

People may accuse the Brookie- huggers of loving the club to death but you seem to hate it and want it to be something it isn't.

Not like Darren to knife Brookie was wondering when he would join the debate. Given you don't bother going to Brookie because it's not safe would you climb out of your ivory tower and go to Allianz with all the crime etc in he city.

I do enjoy going to Brookie but it's old and a dump. No wonder our crowds haven't grown. Being premiers should have brought loads in but it hasn't. Imagine if the Eels won, it would be 40k every week.
I meant the times we got 30k plus Cowboys, Broncos etc. Our average is 13-14 anyway, 10k the other week so pretty well sums up the "locals" on the northside. Allianz would give a subsidy as well.

Why do you think Penn is so desperate to give games away from Brookie? Perth, away at Broncos and good old Bluetongue!! Something to do with 6 figure losses I imagine every year but hey, you ain't paying it so it doesn't matter, good old Penn does.

The buses thing always cracks me up as we can never even fill one bus of supporters or the stupid bus drive past the several fans lined up. :s

I remember Carlton/Collingwood fans going mental about closing their ground and never going again. They're all going and double now watch them and can actually get in. My wife's family travel 3 hours to go to the MCG and go regularly. They have to drive in and park.

So what happens when 4 or 5 Sydney teams adopt the sfs as their home ground and there is a Waratahs and Sydney FC game on too? Quadrople header?

I go to plenty of games at both the SFS & Brooky each year & I can safely say that I like both stadiums, they're about as good as it gets in Australia.

However, Brooky is far better for actually watching football. Sharts all over the SFS in that respect.

Been travelling from Wollongong (4 hour return trip by car) since 15 so nearly 28 years. I loved Brookie in the 80's but not alot has changed with the ground. This has basically said forget the grants and re-consider. To me, Penn needs to get as many bucks as he can. If that's at SFS then so be it.

Darren I do a similar trip from the central coast after moving there in 87. It's no big deal when you love your team and "Brookie" as much as I do. I actually asked you how many games you go to a year a question that you have clearly avoided. I have a season ticket and go to as many away games as time permits.

mate, it depends, some years most of them, some half, been going to games for nearly 30 years so imagine been to Brookie hundreds of trips!!
This year has been harder with Friday nights (can't physically make it in time with work) and Sat's play soccer in a team. In 2012 I have been to 2 games so far. Can't make tomorrow as have to read huge amount of school reports. Not avoiding anything just life is harder to make the games.
Being now 42, sitting/standing on a hill looking into the sun for 3-4 hours is physically getting harder and not as enjoyable. I love watching both grades so it's a long day.
I'm not sure if you have children but I have my wife and 2 daughters, ages 4 and 6 and refuse to let them sit with people who every second word is c###, fag###, slu# etc. That's my family choice and it's a shame footy has got this way. I loved the hill in my younger days.

I do try and get seats in the stand (love the Jane Try) but not that interested in sitting up the back in Arko etc and can't get to 11 home games etc with a season pass.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6
6 3 3 16 6