Already hating the Captain’s Challenge

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
In a game where stoppages already have increased at times to ridiculous levels, this Captain challenge has proved annoying in game 1.....I have another theory why it seems a strange idea.
If a team has full momentum or has made a clean line break with the defensive line cut to ribbons, the defending sides Captain can make a “refs challenging” about something in the lead up and stop the game....unless it’s only the attacking team who can challenge??
Either way , I already hate it- leave it in the USA where there are already breaks between every play in the NFL...

It's still up to the the bunker and there discretion they will still make howlers doomed to fail
Eg tonight they only took one look at hoppa I thought he may not have touched it, hoppa was thinking he didn't touch it, but they looked at the parra player might have touched it ,more times , also thought they only look at what was raised, do they keep going back and looking at all the lead up ?

I really like the concept. Guffo wasted his but Will MAY not have touched the ball in their challenge, and the bunker only played it once. If you get it right it is the same as cricket, you don't lose the challenge. I think some will learn how to use it wisely, but the most important part is that the refs are being held a little more accountable...and that is a step in the right direction for sure.

I like it because I think it will encourage babies like Moses and gutho to stop whinging at every call. As soon as the ref asks "do you want to challenge it?", the player will either embarrass themselves or shut up and accept it.

It happened with DWZ tonight. He dropped the ball in a contest and almost began whinging but you could see the exact moment when the ref asked the question that he gave up the act. It's not like it slows down normal play too much. Only one per team per game and only when a stoppage has already been instigated by the ref.

I think the Bunker needs to have a policy where it plays the video full speed on the first play-through and the last play-through, using the slow motion a little less, so that a little bit of commonsense can apply and time is hopefully saved whenever it is actually dubious

It’s stupid and just takes another responsibility off the refs. If they make a crap call and it gets overturned everyone will forget about it. More responsibility and accountability needs to be put on the refs.

One thing I think we'll see after tonight's use of the Captain's Challenge.

Coaches are going to drum it into their team captains not to blow the call on a knock on call just 25 minutes into the game like Gutherson did.

It’s stupid and just takes another responsibility off the refs. If they make a crap call and it gets overturned everyone will forget about it. More responsibility and accountability needs to be put on the refs.
Gauging by the first game where challenges were poor, if a ref's decision is overturned it will be remembered as a fxxk up. I think the refs will be wary of making wrong decisions as they may be put to the sword and it may improve refereeing in general. Tonight's game was pretty well officiated...except for the million forward passes...but maybe they were instructed to be lenient. Just the way i see it mate.

If only there had been a way for someone to review the game as it's happening, by video maybe, in a bunker or something, with the ability to pick things up the ref missed, but alas...

Might have won us the 2013 Grand Final (even with the forward pass not challengeable).
No chance - the Roosters were the side THEY wanted to win and forward passes cannot be reversed.
The key play I felt changed that game was after Matai scores...that next set Roosters offside 3-4 metres every tackle and in DCEs face on tackle 6 - a blatant late shot and from there they got the momentum

I really like the concept. Guffo wasted his but Will MAY not have touched the ball in their challenge, and the bunker only played it once. If you get it right it is the same as cricket, you don't lose the challenge. I think some will learn how to use it wisely, but the most important part is that the refs are being held a little more accountable...and that is a step in the right direction for sure.
I like the idea of refs accountability and have always felt post game, should sit down live like the Captain's and coaches to discuss the game even for just 5 minutes....
But more stoppages when the bunker already takes up 25% of the game, takes away the intensity of the game imo.

What the challenge last night did show was that the referees actually got the calls right.

Won't the NRL love that.

They'll largely ignore that it was piss poor use of the challenge by both teams and they'll focus on the fact that the referee's got it right.

One thing I think we'll see after tonight's use of the Captain's Challenge.

Coaches are going to drum it into their team captains not to blow the call on a knock on call just 25 minutes into the game like Gutherson did.
Sadly for Gunty after four seasons at Parramatta, he has undergone the unthinkable, a Parrabotomy.

It’s an osmosis thing and sadly it’s irreversible.

I'm worried about Jake blowing up every game and us using ours in the first 5 minutes.

It's clunky and slows down the game. There was a few times where everyone stopped and looked around to see if they were going to use it before they got on with things last night. We need to stop slowing things down artificially.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8