Allan Thomson passes away

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Mike

Allan Thomson passes away
26/09/2006
By Manly Sea Eagles

The Sea Eagles morn the sad passing of former 1st Grade Player and Coach Allan Thomson.

Thomson came to the Sea Eagles from Lakes United and played 79 games in the top grade between 1969 and 1972 scoring a total of eight tries. He represented his State on eight occasions and played in three tests for Australia. Thomson was a member of the triumphant 1972 Grand Final team, the first Manly side to win a Grand Final.

After Frank Stanton resigned the coaching position at the end of 1979 Thomson took control of the Sea Eagles, winning the 1980 pre-season competition.

Our condolences go to his wife Barbara and family.

Allan Thomson
1943 - 2006

-------

Always sad to hear about the passing on a rugby league player. Especially a legend like AT.

Condonlences to his family and RIP to the big fella.

Sad news !

I didn't get to see him play , but I recall him from his coaching days. He was a fitness fanatic (not unlike Steve Knight). I remember seeing him running up Powderworks Rd (Narrabeen) on a regular basis with weights in his backpack.

I remember him as a short an nuggety second rower with a high work rate who was superb in our first two premierships.

He was also a Primary teacher at Beacon Hill Primary for many years. My wife's (then girlfriend) first teaching job was taking his class whilst he was on leave in 1981 having a knee reconstruction.

It's a sad thing. I remember Alan Thompson as a player. He was excelent, reliable in defense, and supportive in attack. Lovely to watch. If I remember rightly he was crucified by our clubs administration as a coach.

Again I think you'll find that was Alan Thompson the 5/8 not the 2nd rower.

Allan Thomson the second rower coached at least a full season in the early eighties, whereas Alan Thompson the 5/8 lasted less than a season in the late eighties ('88 or '89) before being dumped for Bozo. This also lead to the departure of Fatty, who was a close mate of Alan Thompson.

Again I think you'll find that was Alan Thompson the 5/8 not the 2nd rower.

Allan Thomson the second rower coached at least a full season in the early eighties, whereas Alan Thompson the 5/8 lasted less than a season in the late eighties ('88 or '89) before being dumped for Bozo. This also lead to the departure of Fatty, who was a close mate of Alan Thompson.

He replaced Bozo at the end of 1988 and was shafted at the end of 1989 for Graham Lowe. And Fatty went to the Roosters at the end of that year too - and Bella and Roberts arrived.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2