All time BEST and WORST games - plus Most hated team

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
Just for a bit of fun and out of interest I have a few questions for ALL Silvertails out there ....

Firstly your favourite game EVER
I can't go past the 40 GF over Storm 2008, but was lucky enough to go to my first game as a kid at Redfern oval to see Manly fight back from 2 tries downand Won 16-13 in a physical clash, with old tough heads like Kevin Ward, Crusher Cleal and Rambo Ronnie Gibbs and this clash I believe led to another Premiership that year, beating Canberra in the GF.

Worst game for myself was the 2007 GF when that grub Croker hit Snake Stewart illegally and they smashed us from there....but made 2008 even sweeter and Beaver busted Crokers ribs in the 2008 GF so it iced the cake....the others would be 1995 after dominating ALL season and Dogs winning the 1 that counted...also of course 1997 losing the GF at the death vs Drugcastle...

Most hated team is Eels, with Storm and St Illawarra also...Dogs make my Top 4

Apart from the 08 GF another great game was in 2011 at shark park coming from behind to win right on full time. Jamie Lyon chip for Oldfield to run for the try line to win the game.
Not sure about the worst game but the club i seem to hate most is Newcastle..

That 61-0 win over St. George holds fond memories. With my girlfriend at the time brother who is a mad Dragon man. Sitting around a BBQ listening to it on the radio, pre PPV days, and drinking his homebrew!
And naturally the 40-0 of course.

Worst might be that year, as he so often reminds me still, they ran us down after we had a monster lead. Maybe even the biggest comeback in NRL history?! Late 2000s ish.

Hard to pick best, too many to choose from, but 40-nil an the obvious option. Best I attended in person, the Brisbane rally towel game was fun, plus pretty much every game Manly won at Brookie.
Worst, the semi v Souths in 2014, we walked out early, trailing nil-40 from memory, we heard on the radio Manly scored 24 consolation points late but that didn't help much at the time!
Most disliked opposition, changes era to era, but for now Storm, still, by a nose from Chooks. Sharks under Flanagan, Knights in their drug-castle era. Basically any team that cheats and beats us.

Best - many great games but 3 stick in my mind

1/ Manly South’s 2013 Prelim
2/ Manly V Balmain 1987 at Brookie
3/ Many V Riff circa 2014/15 - we scored last few seconds in massive coneback

Worst -

1/ Manly V Riff circa 2003 Riff were spooners or close to it, we needed to win to get into the 8 and we got done 60 something to 12. It was as 42 blot at half time.

Worst -

1/ Manly V Riff circa 2003 Riff were spooners or close to it, we needed to win to get into the 8 and we got done 60 something to 12. It was as 42 blot at half time.
That Penrith game was Gold, with Soward crying at the ref to top it off....I think that last try there was a bomb and Lyon took it beautifully and that red headed backrower ended up scoring in the right corner, after a chain of passes....was a great win....now you got me on a roll, remember that game Snake Stewart raced through and took a chip kick out of Benji Marshalls hands to score the winner in the dying ambers ay Brookie - it's all coming back to me now - bring on the footy I say !!

Apart from the 08 GF another great game was in 2011 at shark park coming from behind to win right on full time. Jamie Lyon chip for Oldfield to run for the try line to win the game.
Not sure about the worst game but the club i seem to hate most is Newcastle..
Yeah, that was a great try set up by Jamie, wasn't that at Brookie ?...also, the big run by Brett to catch the ball and run nearly half the length to score against the Tigers.

For me, there are a few games that stand out as great days

2008 grand final, 40-0 does not get any better than that.
1988 Whinger park, 64-12 annihilation of our eternal enemy was very special.

Most despised teams, well that is easy. I support Manly and whoever plays the whinging worms! Honourable mentions to the Melbourne Dizzle, The donkeys from up north, The Souffs Vermin, The filth dogs as well!!

Worst -

Uhh that Panthers game…I remember being at Brookie and watching that debacle, was sitting where the new grandstand was. But good news it was wasn’t technically Manly it was those NE😉

Best games - the 2013 finals game against the bunnies, where we came back from 14-0, to win 30-20. The hype around the bunnies and their grand final drought was nauseating.

Hard to go past 08 grand final win, and being there, does not get better, and prob never will. Any game we have played well and flogged em', but I remember a game, would of been early 90s in Canberra, we smashed them, Ridge starred, Roosters in 07 at Brookvale 56-0, hot day at Brookvale beating Parra 54-0 2018, also a comeback win vs Norths at North Sydney Oval, 100th game?

Used to hate Brisbane and Bulldogs, prob softened when they got hopeless, but number one, hate the Roosters, sick of hearing about them, and that they get away with f••••n cheating

2008 GF Best
2013 GF Worst...corrupt cheating bastard referee.
Broncos, Storm and Eels are teams I always enjoy losing.
I have to agree with @Captain Moondog on most of that, but I've got the Raiders in the number 1 position for most hated team! The Donkeys are a close 2nd leaving the rest to fight it out for 3rd. None of this "second team" crap for me... :)

Worst -

Agree @The Wheel That’s the one that immediately came to mind for me too. Spoiled an otherwise awesome holiday to Port Douglas!

Also losing the playoff game 10-7 to make the 1985 finals was a low moment too. In the process we gifted the Panthers their first ever finals berth.

Just for a bit of fun and out of interest I have a few questions for ALL Silvertails out there ....

Firstly your favourite game EVER
I can't go past the 40 GF over Storm 2008, but was lucky enough to go to my first game as a kid at Redfern oval to see Manly fight back from 2 tries downand Won 16-13 in a physical clash, with old tough heads like Kevin Ward, Crusher Cleal and Rambo Ronnie Gibbs and this clash I believe led to another Premiership that year, beating Canberra in the GF.

Worst game for myself was the 2007 GF when that grub Croker hit Snake Stewart illegally and they smashed us from there....but made 2008 even sweeter and Beaver busted Crokers ribs in the 2008 GF so it iced the cake....the others would be 1995 after dominating ALL season and Dogs winning the 1 that counted...also of course 1997 losing the GF at the death vs Drugcastle...

Most hated team is Eels, with Storm and St Illawarra also...Dogs make my Top 4
For me that Grand Final in 2013 against Roosters hurt the most for some reason. A lot of dubious calls went against Manly. Souths went from being my 2nd liked team to most hated in the space of 15 years.

Hard to go past 08 grand final win, and being there, does not get better, and prob never will. Any game we have played well and flogged em', but I remember a game, would of been early 90s in Canberra, we smashed them, Ridge starred, Roosters in 07 at Brookvale 56-0, hot day at Brookvale beating Parra 54-0 2018, also a comeback win vs Norths at North Sydney Oval, 100th game?

Used to hate Brisbane and Bulldogs, prob softened when they got hopeless, but number one, hate the Roosters, sick of hearing about them, and that they get away with f••••n cheating
Just talking about Manly floggings, used to love how we would completely annihilate the then Chocolate Soilders (Penrith) back in the day. Maybe they are getting square with us now after so many big losses.

Best game for me, outside the obvious was 2002 Round 25 vs the Warriors.

Not long after we knew NE were dead and Manly was coming back.

Absolutely pissing down and most of the GA attendees were watching from under the southern stand. Standing on the hill with maybe 100 people. Shane Dunley scored the match winner and you've never heard 2500 people make so much noise.

That was the day I knew we were on the way back to where we belong.

Just talking about Manly floggings, used to love how we would completely annihilate the then Chocolate Soilders (Penrith) back in the day. Maybe they are getting square with us now after so many big losses.
Another game I enjoyed and I was at, was Brookvale, might of been about 91 and Canberra were a good side then as most of us know, Canberra were on top, but not far enough ahead, Manly kept close, I remember Lyons scored, and we ended up with a great comeback win, Stuart was a great player, but hated him, and in the game ran into Ridge awkwardly after a break and did his knee, loved it

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
8 5 2 39 11
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8