Alberts out for Hills Job!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

byso

First Grader
Threat for Hill
JASON AVEDISSIAN
14jun05
MANLY assistant coach Dennis Moore believes rookie centre Ashley Alberts is putting the heat on Terry Hill as the veteran aims for a return to the starting line-up next weekend.

Alberts made a strong debut in Manly colours in Saturday night's heavy loss to South Sydney at Aussie Stadium.

Sea Eagles insiders were privately enthusiastic about Alberts' performance, with Moore prepared to admit the young Queenslander is capable of holding his spot for Sunday's clash with Newcastle at Brookvale, despite the availability of Hill.

"Having him put his hand up puts pressure on everyone, whether they are centres or wingers," Moore said yesterday.

"I think for a bloke that's played as little footy as he (Alberts) has, it was a good debut.

"He showed some good signs."

Hill, who has missed Manly's last two outings with a groin strain, is available for selection tonight.

The Sea Eagles will also welcome back Brent Kite from suspension and Origin pair Ben Kennedy and Steve Menzies if they come through tomorrow night's Origin unscathed.

Captain Michael Monaghan is another expected to be named tonight by coach Des Hasler, despite the half suffering a bicep injury in Saturday night's loss.

"It's coming along slowly but it should be right," Monaghan said.

"It's just something I have to put up with."

Monaghan described the historic loss, Manly's biggest defeat to the Rabbitohs in 55 years, as "disappointing".

"We knew right through the week it was going to be a danger game," the skipper said. "We have to get over it pretty quickly because Newcastle will also be desperate." Pending tomorrow night's Origin, the Knights will welcome back a host of stars led by inspirational half Andrew Johns, hooker Danny Buderus and forward Steve Simpson.

* Manly CEO Pat Wilson has refuted suggestions the Sea Eagles are still looking to sign Melbourne's Matt Orford, despite securing Michael Monaghan last week. "We are happy to have signed a top-quality player like him," Wilson said.

Wilson said Manly would target "one or two" players come July 1.

you really like this one. thats 3 times its up

lol

i would have thought he should take steppa job.

Alberts and Matai should be our centres IMO.

Matai may not be playing great football in PL at the moment (from the reports of us "SO CALLED" supporters anyway) but when he was dropped from 1sts for the Broncos game, he was playing better football than Stephenson and Hill. The wrong head was rolled that day and I often question Manly's ability to axe the right guys when the time comes. It appears as though they axe the bloke who will take it the best, not the one who is playing better footie.

I often wonder why we continue to play an obviously injury prone Terry Hill (who will never get match fitness playing just 5 games a season) and Paul Stephenson, who defends his heart out and is very capable, but doesnt ask to many questions in attack.

Considering we have two pontential Stars/Solid players in the centres, it sounds best to blood them now so next season, even the one after, when Max is adament we will have won a premiership by, they are completly read. Considering King is no longer an option.

Bring in Alberts and Matai now. We will reap the rewards in time.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6
6 3 3 16 6