AFL leadership is so far in front of the NRL

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Isz is correct, AFL is a crap game on TV and not too bad live, whereas NRL is porobably one of the best sports to watch on TV. Really you only go to an NRL game for the atmosphere, it's far better on TV anyway...even if you are seated on half way if a try is being scored on either far corner you can see jack **** anyway.

clontaago link said:
[quote author=Matabele link=topic=186534.msg317551#msg317551 date=1298525030]
[quote author=clontaago link=topic=186534.msg317491#msg317491 date=1298504056]
[quote author=Pablo link=topic=186534.msg317484#msg317484 date=1298503299]
Their game isn't a heavy contact sport like ours so it's less dangerous for players which makes it easier for them to have fancy pre season comps.

they have a 360 degree angle at which contact can be made (not 180 degrees like union).

[/quote]  You've never been at the bottom of a ruck, have you Doug?
[/quote]

Ask Matt and Pete for that answer. Still doesnt compare to 2 bodies colliding at speed without time to brace for impact.
[/quote] I'd say getting cleaned out properly by 8 forwards is different but comparable.  Especially when the idiots are aiming their shoulders at your kidney and using their boots when you're on the ground.

Matabele link said:
[quote author=clontaago link=topic=186534.msg317572#msg317572 date=1298529421]
Their game isn't a heavy contact sport like ours so it's less dangerous for players which makes it easier for them to have fancy pre season comps.

they have a 360 degree angle at which contact can be made (not 180 degrees like union).

[/quote]

Ask Matt and Pete for that answer. Still doesnt compare to 2 bodies colliding at speed without time to brace for impact.
[/quote] I'd say getting cleaned out properly by 8 forwards is different but comparable.  Especially when the idiots are aiming their shoulders at your kidney and using their boots when you're on the ground.
[/quote]

Well the last time I watched Clon play rugby he was in the 10 jersey and absolutely towelled up a front rower.  I think forwards are just living out homoerotic fantasies rather than being tough. 

Jono link said:
[quote author=jjai link=topic=186534.msg317500#msg317500 date=1298507346]
the reason why they are so far ahead is because over 20,000 ppl go to a game every weekend . it dont matter whether the team is coming last their supporters will be there in the 10`s of thousands to support them..  i very rarely see the grandstands at the AFL empty during a game doesnt matter whos playing..

The I guess you haven't seen a Sydney Swans game or a Fremantle game. Victoria is one thing, leave Victoria and SA and you get a whole different situation. The NSW/QLD/Fremantle teams only get great crowds when the teams do well. If they are struggling then you don't get the crowds at all.

West Coast are the exception but that's because they take all of Fremantle's fans and are the success of WA
[/quote]actually jono  when i wrote that i only had the victorian , sth aust teams in mind completely forgot about the sydney team & WA`s teams & brisabne for that matter..
i was in VFL mode not AFL ..  :D sorry my mistake..

clontaago link said:

What a load of rubbish. They also have to jump vertically 100 times more than league players increasing the risk of knee damage and they have a 360 degree angle at which contact can be made (not 180 degrees like league and union).

The AFL is run by professionals, the NRL is run by monkeys.
[/quote]
Theres no way AFL players take as many heavy knocks or as much of a bashing to their bodies as league players. I'm sure stress to joints and muscles is on par but not the impact injuries and constant body blows.
Its it promoted at grass roots level as the safer alternative to rugby league after all ;)

The only reason its promoted as safer at grass roots level is because of the 12 year old Islander kids running around in League who could be bouncers at nightclubs.

All you said was it was less dangerous which is rubbish.

I'll list the injuries from Round 1 Nab Cup and trials for you.

Adelaide
James Craig (hamstring) - TBC
Chris Knights (corked quad) - available
David Mackay (groin) - 3-4 weeks
Andy Otten (ankle) - test
Sam Shaw (back) - 2 weeks
Bernie Vince (knee) - 3 weeks
Will Young (shoulder) - 4 weeks

Brisbane Lions
Callum Bartlett (knee) - indefinite
Jamie Charman (achilles) - indefinite
Xavier Clarke (knee) - indefinite
Josh Drummond (hip) - 6 weeks
Ash McGrath (achilles) - 1 week
James Polkinghorne (hernia) - 1 week

Carlton
Lachie Henderson (hip) - 4 weeks
Matthew Kreuzer (knee) - 8 weeks
Luke Mitchell (shoulder) - 6 weeks

Collingwood
Nathan Brown (knee) - season
Brad Dick (shoulder) - test
Alan Didak (shoulder) - test
Tyson Goldsack (virus) - test
Shae McNamara (soreness) - test

Essendon
Darcy Daniher (hip) - 6-8 weeks
David Hille (knee) - 4 weeks
Anthony Long (hamstring) - 4 weeks
Tayte Pears (foot) - TBA

Fremantle
Hayden Ballantyne (foot) - TBA
Michael Barlow (broken leg) - 6-8 weeks
Roger Hayden (foot) - 5 months
Joel Houghton (broken arm) - 6-8 weeks
Anthony Morabito (knee) - season

Geelong
Marcus Drum (ankle) - 6-8 weeks
Cameron Ling (hamstring) - 1-2 weeks
Matthew Scarlett (ankle) - TBA

Hawthorn
Jarryd Morton (foot) - TBA
Max Bailey (knee) - TBA
David Hale (ankle) - TBA
Tom Murphy (ankle) - TBA

Melbourne
Robbie Campbell (achilles) - 2-3 weeks
James Frawley (pectoral) - 10-12 weeks
Michael Newton (broken wrist) - 6-8 weeks
Ricky Petterd (hamstring/back)— 1-2 weeks

North Melbourne
Ryan Bastinac (knee) - 14 weeks
Nathan Grima (back) - 6-8 weeks
Ed Lower (knee) - indefinite
Hamish McIntosh (achilles) - 6-8 weeks

Port Adelaide
Travis Boak (appendix) - 2-3 weeks
Jason Davenport (shoulder) - 2-3 weeks
Hamish Hartlett (hamstring) - 1-2 weeks
Ben Jacobs (glandular fever) - TBA
Matthew Lobbe (dislocated shoulder) - 10 weeks
Andrew Moore (groin) - ongoing assessment
Ben Newton (ankle) - ongoing assessment
Simon Phillips (shoulder) - 2 weeks
David Rodan (knee) - indefinite
Jay Schulz (hamstring) - 2-3 weeks
Jacob Surjan (knee) - 8 weeks

Richmond
Daniel Jackson (hamstring tendonitis) - TBA

St Kilda
Michael Gardiner (knee) - TBA

Sydney Swans
Daniel Bradshaw (knee) - 4-5 weeks
Craig Bolton (achilles) - indefinite
Campbell Heath (knee) - 12-16 weeks
Tadhg Kennelly (knee) - 4-5 weeks
Shane Mumford (knee) - 3 weeks
Lewis Roberts-Thomson (sciatic nerve) - 4-5 weeks
Nick Smith (knee) - 3 weeks
Matt Spangher (quad) - 2 weeks

West Coast
Daniel Kerr (hamstring) - 2 weeks
Luke Shuey (broken finger) - 1 week
Beau Waters (knee) - 2 weeks

Western Bulldogs
Brian Lake (knee/hip/shoulder) - 8-10 weeks

Just because you live in Melbourne Clon does not mean you need to take such a interest and watch the pillow biters run around :)

Dead set, the game must be better live, its the only reason I can explain the crowd numbers as on TV it looks like it is sloppy, messy rubbish.

Victorians know no better Garts. For over 100 years its really the only sport they have had available to watch.

I'm a league fan first and foremost, but the AFL is a much better run organisation, end of story.

I'm also not a single minded red neck boofhead who thinks Rugby League is the be all and end all. (Not directed at you btw)

No offence taken, I can see how well the AFL is run compared to league.  I think the issue is we have so many old school red neck boofheads involved in the admin!!!!  I also love my other sports, especially Rugby.  As much as the redneck boofheads give me crap about it!!!!

I dislike AFL as a spectacle but gee as a league fan I am envious of everything else.  Even the skanky young girl getting around with the AFL players is better than our equivalent, Charmayne Palavi!!!!!

The Gronk link said:
[quote author=Matabele link=topic=186534.msg317579#msg317579 date=1298530089]
[quote author=clontaago link=topic=186534.msg317572#msg317572 date=1298529421]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Well the last time I watched Clon play rugby he was in the 10 jersey and absolutely towelled up a front rower.  I think forwards are just living out homoerotic fantasies rather than being tough. 
[/quote] I wore 10 too.

I hope Matthew Kreuzer at Carlton doesn't have the same knee surgeon that I did.  That quack ended my career in the AFL. 

Jatz Crackers link said:
The rubbish you lot are talking seems to contradict the thread title.

Unfortunately Jatz trial matches, in my opinion, are a necessity. I just feel that the AFL has been smart about it and turned it into a ratings winner.

I think the NRL need to look at it this way.

Either each club must have 2 offical trials and its gets turned into a televised pre-season comp or;

The trials get scrapped altogether.

I just dont see the point in having official trials and not turning them into a TV ratings opportunity.

how did that player(ben jacobs) get glandular fever on the field????

clontaago link said:
I just dont see the point in having official trials and not turning them into a TV ratings opportunity.

Cant help but agree.

Im still with Des on this one, Id like to see the trials scrapped.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6