AFL Injection Policy

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

susan

Bencher
I have locked horns with plenty of guys on here like Hampster, WAMF etc and there a re a myriad of different ideas on this issue with plenty of good arguments on both sides. I must admit that this Telegraph driven bus is out of control and starting to get ridiculous and blocking out any clear analysis(and lets not make this thread about why it is out of control and who is to blame, that has been dealt with ad nauseum).

In my opinion the likely result will be a small number of guys get caught cheating and a few will be found to have contravened without knowledge.I think we all hope the guys who had no knowledge get the most lenient penalty possible due to their lack of intent. In the end our game will survive as it is the most resilient game on earth.

The real question is what happens going forward and what procedures are put in place and this chaos has seen no attention paid to that.So it was with interest I heard today that the AFL have already absolutely banned injections for AFL players (other than short term pain killers and valid medical reasons)).It is already absolutely illegal to inject players and there is already systems being put in place to enforce it.I don't think anyone would argue that there is no reason why players should be subjected to mass injections of these so called cutting edge compounds,whether legal or not. The comments by Inglis and Crocker and many other players suggest the majority of players agree with this.

As much as I cant stand the smarmy Demeterio there always seems to be a level of calmness and forethought in the way the AFL goes about their business regardless of whether you agree with them(and there is plenty I disagree with).We just seem to be the same old reactive and disorganised unit we have been under Gallop despite a new commission and CEO.I know our clubs are not wealthy and lack the professionalism of some of the big Melbourne clubs but geez it would be nice to see some forward looking stuff coming out of the NRL and not just a mob putting out bushfires. I know this is extremely difficult but I still don't get a confident feel about those who run the game.I get the feeling they will just run around until all or any charges are laid over the next 6 months without doing anything meaningful in regards to making the game better.

I agree with most of that but don't mistake the calm waters of AFL as evidence of better leadership other than they generally have a media covering them that is very placid.

Up here the hysterical RL media doesn't give a sod about RL's well being or brand protection and is therefore doing a lot of unpaid work for ASADA that simply wouldn't happen in Melbourne and AFL.

Maybe that's why Cronulla and now Manly are the focus while Essendon is escaping attention.

Look, I get what you're saying but there is one serious matter which is continually thrown in my face in thread after thread, post after post, with no due regard for how it makes me feel and thus has the basis for denigrating the conversation into areas it doesn't need to go; there is no 'p' in Hamster.

There. I said it.

Yep.Agree our media is almost rabid in pursuit of what are often bull**** rumours but Smith and co need to start being proactive and look to the future instead of running around with no plan.
The most obvious action which can be done straight away is ban these bull**** needles immediately yet we hear nothing except a 3 man integrity committee. That stuff helps catch cheats, it doesn't do anything for improving the immediate welfare of the players or making this whole problem more easy to deal with by taking away the grey area.As their own doctor says-no supplements and no needles.A black and white proposition for all parties and one only cheating players would be disappointed with.

Good points susan, but don't forget league is a game strong on tradition. Wanting the game's leadership to be proactive would be flying in the face of many years rugby league tradition.

I for one have greatly enjoyed the banter , HH, WAMF, Susan ALL have greatly added to my enjoyment.

And note I get around the spelling issue by just saying " HH" .

It's hardly an enjoyable topic but the banter is!!

Long may freedom of speech reign supreme!!

The 3- headed super league beast may be dead, but the stench remains!

They were allowed to Sponsor our game, whilst
Administering our game, whilst
Reporting on our game.

Why bother with the facts, when rumour, false allegations and innuendo sell a few papers? Why bother promoting the game with good intentions, when you have to fork out more money to fund higher player payments? Isn't it easier to portray players as hard drinking, wife beating, gambling, drug taking, cheating Neanderthals that have too much time on their hands and are paid too much? Mundine was paid 600Kpa when the super league war broke out. These days, that amount of money leads to viral fan forums accusing other clubs of salary cap breaches. There was always going to be a conflict of interest when news limited were ulimately responsible for how much players are paid ... And don't get me on the abysmal player representation rights and the salary cap.

Our new CEO, whatever his name is, has failed miserably for lacking courage and conviction. The gig should have gone to an ex-Aussie player or administrator that understands and loves the game. If I was the CEO, I would have already:

1. Walked out on the first press conference, on the basis that I was not briefed we'll enough to hold hands with others for the announcement
2. I would have publicly shamed the officialdom for not following the laws of natural justice and told them to put up or shut up.
3. I would have put the media on notice to say that players and clubs would be supported and protected by law against any unsubstantiated rumour or innuendo.

... And as Susan says, showed some leadership by releasing an injection policy.

Listening to Mason, Gidley and Anasta tonight and the Bunnies players today it seems glaringly obvious the vast bulk of players regard these needles as huge red flags and don't want them in the game. Pretty easy decision Mr Smith-time to step up to the plate.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4